Whitney Houston, Superbowl 2011
When the Music Stopped
For those who are unaware: Since before the 1960s, at all military base theaters all over the world, the National Anthem is played before a movie begins. What did the soldiers do? As observed by a chaplain:
I recently attended a showing of “Superman 3” here at LSA Ananconda. We have a large auditorium that is used for movies as well as memorial services and other large gathering.
As is the custom at all military bases, we stood at attention when the National Anthem began before the movie began.
All was going well until three-quarters of the way through the National Anthem, the music stopped.
Now, what would happen if this occurred with 1,000 18-to-22-year-olds back in the States? I imagine that there would be hoots, catcalls, laughter, a few rude comments, and everyone would sit down and yell for the movie to begin. Of course, that is, only if they had stood for the National Anthem in the first place.
Here in Iraq, these 1,000 soldiers continued to stand at attention, eyes fixed forward. The music started again, and the soldiers continued to quietly stand at attention, Again, though, at the same point, the music stopped. What would you expect 1,000 soldiers standing at attention to do?
Frankly, I expected some laughter, and everyone would eventually sit down and wait for the movie to start.
No!! You could have heard a pin drop while every soldier continued to stand at attention.
Suddenly, there was a lone voice from the front of the auditorium, then a dozen voices, and soon the whole room was filled with voices of a thousand soldiers, finishing where the recording left off:
And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air, gave proof through the night that our flag was still there. Oh, say, does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave, o’er the land of the free, and the home of the brave.
It was the most inspiring moment I have had in Iraq, and I wanted you to know what kind of U.S. Soldiers are serving you/us. Remember them as they fight for us
Written by Chaplain Jim Higgins, LSA Anaconda at the Ballad Airport in Iraq, north of Baghdad.
National Anthem sung by Marvin Gaye
That is a great story. I might disagree with how I think a civilian audience might behave in the sane situation though. They certainly would not be as disciplined as a military audience, but I do not think that they would be disrespectful either.
ReplyDeleteSome of the audience would be disrespectful, no doubt about it in my mind.
DeleteI loved the story of course. I served with young men some 17 as I was when I joined. I am inspired by the young men who volunteer to serve this country. I believe their heart is where mine was, dedicated to that vow they swore to upon enlistment.
ReplyDeleteAlso I am proud to have met a sax player who was with Marvin Gaye.
Sherry, jack and JJ still in Oregon, leaving for California in the morning.
Oregon to California! Where abouts in CA?
DeleteBeing a veteran is an honor not everyone can claim.
This is the perfect story we need right now, especially since our Military is taking such a beating. Not by enemies, but from our leaders, whose names I won't bother mentioning. This gives me hope.
ReplyDeleteThe Military should be honored and supported by the people they protected, as should the EMTs, firemen, policemen.
Deletea great story and much needed in these times of crisis we are in. I miss gail atthefarm blog.
ReplyDeleteI miss Gail as well. She is a fine person.
DeleteWow. Now that is showing respect. (Unlike what most athletes are doing these days.)
ReplyDeleteI really miss Gail.
I miss Gail, too. Respect is essential for those who care for us.
DeleteI love that story! There is yet hope...
ReplyDeleteWithout hope, we have nothing.
DeleteI think that is wonderful. Very moving. I was at the driver's license bureau last week and the clerk asked the man next to me if he wanted a license plate that said, 'In God we Trust' or 'Sunshine State.' He immediately said the first and I was silently happy that he did. I didn't know they changed it being optional now. Everything is changing and patriotism, law, and most importantly to me (God) is being seen as bad. I don't get it. I don't like it. It grieves my heart if I think about it too much.
ReplyDeleteFree speech is guaranteed, which is why American flags are burnt and stomped on.
DeleteI love this SO much! Just the sort of Good News we so desperately need in these trying times.
ReplyDeletePatriotism and respect are important.
ReplyDeleteThe chaplain's story touched my heart.
ReplyDeleteWhat an image for me to see, and to hear.
DeleteThese words are just as true today as they were when written (apparently, according to an Internet search) in 2008. I wondered because of social distancing restrictions most probably would never have permitted a movie audience of that size. It is important to note that this was written years ago because in 2008 we remembered we had troops in Iraq, but now...not so much. Our attention is elsewhere, but our troops serve with just as much devotion. We must never forget. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteVery well written. The presence of this story on social media for all to read thrills me.
DeleteHaving been there when our daughter graduated from boot camp and again from her advanced training, i know those soldiers would have done that very thing. May they all be blessed for their choice to serve our nation.
ReplyDeleteWe can always tell who is or was military. Such dignity and politeness.
DeleteVery impressive. Our military doesn't always get the support or recognition it deserves.
ReplyDeleteThey sure do not get the support they need.
Delete