![]() |
| Meadowlark by James Audobon |
Dear thoughts are in my mind
And my soul soars enchanted,
As I hear the sweet lark sing
In the clear air of the day.
For a tender beaming smile
To my hope has been granted,
and tomorrow she shall hear
all my fond heart would say
.
I shall tell her all my love,
All my soul's adoration;
And I think she will hear me
And will not say me nay.
It is this that fills my soul with its joyous elation,
As I hear the sweet lark sing
In the clear air of the day.
| Wikipedia.org |
Sir Samuel Ferguson, Born 10 March 1810, Died 9 August 1886
Sir Samuel Ferguson, "Perhaps the most Irish Poet
in the 19th century, because of his interest in Irish mythology
and early Irish history, he can be seen as a forerunner of
William Butler Yeats and the other poets
of the Irish Literary Revival."
Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings.
Victor Hugo

"lark of the morning" made me think of Romeo and Juliet.
ReplyDeleteOh, yes! You're right.
DeleteHi Susan - love the poem and the verses. James Audobon showed the birds in their true light ... while Ferguson was very talented. Stay safe and enjoy the bird song in the quieter times ... Hilary
ReplyDeleteQuieter times would be nice.
DeleteThanks for posting this. I like it. Larks are also very nice birds.
ReplyDeleteI had never read Ferguson before. Maybe I will give more of his poems a look.
Larks sing so beautifully.
DeleteAh, when she says yes, the whole world will glow brighter. Isn't that true for everyone when s/he finds that one?
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely.
DeleteThe meadowlark's trill is my favourite birdsong.
ReplyDeleteHearing it makes me happy.
DeleteYou would not know, that I sat in the swing at the edge of our woods and watched a cardinal land on a rotten twig and marveled as it sang. I loved this. I have never read Ferguson before. but Victor Hugo? of course.
ReplyDeleteLove it, trying to get this in before we crash again...
Sherry, jack and JJ 'On the Road'.
CArdinals are my favorite songbirds. There is nothing more beautiful than this red bird against white snow.
DeleteMost Irish poet. If he was Irish, not sure how much more Irish one could be!
ReplyDeleteI'd say 110%.
DeleteWhat a lovely poem! And I love the Victor Hugo quote, too!
ReplyDeleteIt is such a beautiful poem.
DeleteTweet, tweet.
ReplyDeleteThey sing beautifully.
DeleteI don't think that I have heard a lark sing. Pity, and now I want to... :) Headed back to the classroom today, first time since we were sent home months ago (to teach online). No kiddos until later this month (and now I am nervous for different reasons to go back). Loving my administrator though, who reinstated me after I resigned. Had she not, I'd be in quite the pickle right now, since no other job I applied for called me to interview. Taking another go at this thing... hoping for a better year. :) Love the Hugo quote. He was so very diverse in his craft. Have a wonderful day!
ReplyDeleteTeaching in a classroom after these months will be strange. My daughter has been teaching online since March through July. they are preparing for whatever happens in teaching and learning.
DeleteGood luck to her. I love that your daughter teaches. It's special since you were in the classroom too!
DeleteLovely poem and I miss the Western Meadow Lark that used to come and sing here in the summers. I don't know why it's not coming back. We had a different kind of lark in Sweden, but its song was just as beautiful. Thanks for an interesting post.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful
ReplyDeletethey are so lovely.
DeleteLarks, world wide, sing beautifully.
ReplyDelete