
Z is for Zimbalist, as in Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. He was the good guy, always on the side of law, suave yet manly. “Dapper, leading man” was the way Hollywood described him.
He was best known for his role in “The F.B.I.” series. He inspired so many kids that they pursued a career in the F.B.I. In 2009 the FBI director Robert Mueller presented an honorary Special Agent badge to Zimbalist.
He was a private celebrity who valued his family and living his life as a devout Christian. He died in May of 2014 at the age of 95.
![]() |
| b. 1918-- d. 2014 |
BUT think about it for a moment: he was an actor who was always working, never took roles below his quality requirements: he represented someone that kids admired; he placed family above everything; he lived a Christian life in the atmosphere of a rough Hollywood; his children succeeded in life, and they loved him.
How many men can claim that?
The A-to-Z Challenge began a decade or so ago. Since then the number of participants has exploded. There were several organizers, but I remember Arlee Jackson and Alex Cavanaugh being active in its infancy. This was the last post, last letter. April 30, 2015. Good times, good writing, good memories.

I remember this actor well, and not just because of his very unique name.
ReplyDeleteWe never missed his show.
DeleteI doubt many in Hollywood can claim that! Good for him.
ReplyDeleteAn honorable man
DeleteGood to celebrate the life of someone so respected.
ReplyDeleteThose respected people, their talents, and lives hold their witnesses to truth and love.
DeleteI remember him from 77 Sunset Strip. All three of the stars were very good looking and as a young teenager, I swooned the most over Kookie (Edd Byrnes).
ReplyDeleteIt is pretty amazing that some man like him lasted so long, admired and respected.
DeleteI do love reading/learning about people of integrity. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteThere are many that are hidden by all those without any integrity.
DeleteI didn't do A to Z this year. I wonder if 2019 was my A to Z swan song.
ReplyDeleteParticipation was a stresser for my migraines. I think 2016 was it, my mother-in-law had passed in Feb., then we moved. I enjoyed the years before that, though.
DeleteI remember watching The FBI as a child. I also remember the TV station preview where it would be announced that “The FBi staring Efrem Zimbalist Jr.” was coming on. Thanks for the reminder, it has been a long time since I watched that show.
ReplyDeleteIt is good to know that he was a good guy.
Good memories of that time period.
DeleteI always enjoyed Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. I did not know of his private life and that is interesting and an education.
ReplyDeleteAs to A-Z, I have red some posts during it. Some of the posts I follow did do that and it was interesting.
Thanks for the education into A-Z also.
Love from
Sherry, jack and JJ on the road in Wyoming.
Wyoming! You and Sherry (and JJ) are heaving adventures.
DeleteI also thought of his daughter Stephanie who was a star in her own right. That was my first thought. I'm old.
ReplyDeleteNo, "Remington Steele" with Stephanie, and Pierce Brosnan was a fun tv show. that doesn't mean you are old! Then that means I am also old.
Delete"But think about it................they loved him"
ReplyDeleteThat's quite an accomplishment and symbolises the good character of the man. Too bad too many these days sell themselves out for the almighty $$$ without caring who they might be hurting along the way.
The current herd of celebrities do not live to the same standards he held.
DeleteIf everyone in Hollywood strove to be like him, how the world would change.
ReplyDeleteSure would make Hollywood turn out good movies instead of the questionable offensive stuff we see.
DeleteGreat to know this! We all watched the FBI, but I was pretty little...
ReplyDeleteWe watched FBI faithfully and saw him in other shows. He was always a solid actor.
Delete