blog Followers

Friday, June 28, 2019

All is at Peace

Butterfly on Lavender Flower
Everything lavender

The sun filtered through the garden, breaking through the dense foliage.  The twining squash vines sported hearty zucchini, which  would soon muscle its way through other vegetables.



Growing a variety of edibles is one of the many joys of gardening. (Photo by Joanne Young)
Garden making

Butterflies were dancing over the blooming lavender and dahlias.  Over in the corner, isolated from the serene garden, were two gooseberry bushes.  Brooding and sour, they knew it was only a matter of time before they would be picked and treasured.

But, for now, all is at peace.

The italicized words come from Wednesday Words from Delores some time ago. These  were supplied 5 + years ago, when Delores had started W. Words as a way to encourage writers to expand genres. The goal was to integrate these words with their own style.

Current words can be found on Wednesday at Elephant's Child blog site.

This is a challenge I savor. Brevity, saying much with chosen words (about 65 words above), is powerful in its conciseness. Writing, with those few meaningful words that convey an image, well, that is just plain fun.




49 comments:

  1. Just lovely and also so lovvely that you are still playing along at your own pace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan:
    Having a garden (no matter the size) is an oasis for the mind and soul.
    Besides, you can never have too much lavender.

    Love the butterfly picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a bit of sunshine to lift the spirit. I'm sure the butterflies agree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Sadly, our lavender is of the desert variety and doesn't have that brilliance of this photo. But, I'll take any that I can get!

      Lavender should be in every garden!

      Delete
  5. I like playing with words. I used to call my mother when I was searching for the exact right word for something I was writing. We would toss words around until one of us came up with THE word. I miss her so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss my mom too. I would call her just about anything. Sorry that you have lost your mother as well.

      Delete
  6. Brevity is something all writers should strive for! It's much more difficult and challenging to be brief that to just go BLAT! all over the page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gardens are great places. Both the satisfaction of creating them and being in them are very fulfilling. Lavender is also very neat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is such a fun meme isn't it? And I do love that so many people are now sharing the burden that Delores carried for so long of providing the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some talented in the Wed.Word people.

      Delete
  9. Brevity is my downfall. When I started blogging I was up to 2000 words. That is about a chapter in one of my books. LOL I have a neice who was honest with me, Toooo wordy uncle Jack!
    I am doing better. shooting for 300 now and hitting it at times.
    I enjoyed the read, always a nice visit.
    From NC, Sherry and Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I always enjoy your visits!

      Delete
    2. Thanks and I yours. have a great week and enjoy the 4th!

      Delete
  10. Forget the butterfly! The corn is as high as an elephant's eye! If that's not corn, I need stronger glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the non-flooded part of Illinois, the sweetcorn is ready! We would run out to the huge stretch of sweetcorn stalks, pick some, and eat it dinner. Mounds of steaming sweetcorn and homemade butter. Amazing.

      Delete
  11. That Garden photo looks similar to the veggie patch I had about four houses ago.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. High as an elephant's eye is about right! Field corn grew so high!

      Delete
  13. Butterflies, lavender, a garden, and words. What more could a writer, or even an art journaler ask for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those places are just right for a piece of heaven.

      Delete
  14. Sure met the challenge indeed. Summer can bring on much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word challenges are perfect for a short story teller.

      Delete
  15. Is that your garden? How fortunate. I can't make lavender grow; got some fruit trees though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish. This is a garden of my dreams. We have desert lavender which is more scrub most of the year. But for a few dear weeks, we have lavender as it should be.

      Delete
  16. You're a fine writer! Not everyone has the ability and talent to make up a short story from a few key words. Certainly not me for whom english is second language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very talented then to write in two languages! I didn't know this about you!

      Delete
  17. That is a nice garden. It's always nice to smell lavender, a lovely aroma indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only the garden were mine. My mother could have claimed that garden! The scent of lavender is so delightful.

      Delete
  18. The writing conjures up a beautiful place that I remember well from childhood. (Though we didn't have Zucchini).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know when zucchini came on the scene. We had regular squash. Anyway, Mom planted a garden that seemed larger than imaginable to an 8 yr. old hoeing.

      Delete
  19. Nice piece of writing, Susan, and the garden is a vision to inspire us all. Too bad we don't have the fragrance too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The lavender is lovely. One of summer's gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only the lavender would bloom longer, well, that would be perfect.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!