blog Followers

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

August Sucks #3

The exhibition celebrates the history of an old candle making factory which was based on Bankside more than 100 years ago
The exhibition celebrates the history of an old candle making factory which was based on Bankside more than 100 years ago  

It is August 19 and the day will be roasting hot by noon. Temperatures of our area may reach 108 deg. today. 

Just when the inside feels like I could bake cookies on the counter, a magical thing happens.

Melting Ceramics by Livia Marin pattern cups ceramics
Source: livia-maria
Our local energy company SDG & E electric employs the FLEX energy plan to keep the electrical grids from overloading.  That means they can turn my A/C off.  Off!! with the fan still running. 

Dog
Source
Off, with the interior thermometer rising slowly up the scale.  82º?  That is nothing.  86º, and it keeps rising.  I stop looking.

Outside?  Thermometer past 95 and still going...

The A/C returned.  God bless it.

Truth is: Summer makes me cranky.  Life sucks.  Leave me alone.

This is a re-post from 2014 or 2013.  It doesn't matter; hot one year or the other doesn't matter.

42 comments:

  1. I share your feelings about hot weather. In the height of our summer I am a sad, soggy and grumpy mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. Tho' I have to admit, the deep South's humidity pales in comparison to Arizona's agonizing burn.
    Color me singing, "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, indeed. I would settle for some rain, followed by snow. Anything wet would be lovely.

      Delete
  3. I AM WITH you 100 percent. Summer makes me cranky... in Florida i love our winter, i don't like extreme cold or heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only there was a state in which the temp is a nice and even from 68 to 78! It would have a burgeoning population.

      Delete
    2. Costa Rica, never too hot, never too cold, but I wouldn't want to live there.

      Delete
    3. Our son did a summer quarter through UCSD in Costa Rica, enjoyed it, but would not want to live there. Odd culture.

      Delete
  4. I hate the hot and humid weather and thankfully we don't have too many days like that. I can't imagine 100+ degrees. Experienced that years ago in southern Oregon. It was hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always thought we could live in Ireland for winter months, move to somewhere northern Arizona in winter.

      Delete
  5. Here in the UK right now it is very windy, rainy and cold. So windy the rain cannot land. It has to circle around in the sky until the wind dies down a little and allows it to land. If you go out for a walk your face gets wet with the rain but your shoes remain totally dry. Unless you walk on your hands then your shoes will get wet but not your face. Not recommended for women wearing skirts.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps if you could walk on your hands and then flip to walk on your feet?

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Death Valley ranges between 115 to 130 deg. Palm Springs is 114. AND people live there.

      Delete
  7. It's the humidity that irritates me. But our summer feels like it's marching to its end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not looking forward to summer...I prefer our colder months, by far.

    Take good care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Rule of the house: turn off lights, shut drapes to follow the sun, raise hands in futile gesture of anger.

      Delete
  9. My father has that, and he's had the a/c go off while the fan was blowing. Not fun. I barely have a/c, so not an issue for me. But, the first day of school, about 2 PM the a/c in the classroom died. The fan kept going, but it wasn't cool air. Ick. Luckily, I was pretty much done, so I hightailed it out of there. (I'm working at school for the a/c. I have the option to work from home.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your poor dad. I'm guessing you'll think about the work from home option.
      One day in January, my classroom lost heat. District office was called but they couldn't come out until tomorrow. It was 51 degrees in the room. One of the parents called the superintendent, and by golly, we got heat.

      Delete
  10. I don't envy you at all. I stay in the a/c as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As long as you still have electricity, start watching this season of "Alone" on the History Channel. I'm sure you could find it somewhere. The season just ended last week. 10 contestants had to survive 100 days in the Canadian wilderness. In little huts they made. The temperatures on the last few episodes were around -37 degrees Fahrenheit. Just watching it made me shiver! Of course, I DID have my air conditioner set on 74 degrees at the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those crazy people! No degree of common sense?

      Delete
  12. LOL, thanks for letting me laugh. we are broke down, Yep again! and it is in the Mohave desert, I guess not far from Death Valley. LOL we registered 111 for a few hours, then it started to drop. They even say 68 tonight. We head for Las Vegas after a grueling repair. Done, made it to a park.
    Sending love from somewhere in th Mojave.
    Sherry, jack & JJ (the go getter) soon to be on the go again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you poor people. That is a stretch of land that satan claimed as his own in a crapshoot. Glad you made it to Vegas. We lived in Victorville, west of Vegas.

      Hope the repair was easy to do and to maintain.

      Delete
  13. I'm betting those with the power to turn of AC don't ever get their own turned off. I don't understand electricity. As far as I know, we aren't supplied with 100% power, they hold some back in case they need it, which doesn't make sense to me, then when their "hold back" becomes too much they release extra which is when a surge happens that blows several fuses and fries computers and TVs unless you have surge protector gadgets in your home. So how is it possible "they" don't have enough and gaily switch off random ACs in the heatwaves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I okayed the FLEX program when I was still teaching, when daily a/c didn't matter. Then I retired.
      Years ago there was a major power plant disaster from YUMA, AZ. This side of California hand no elec for 2 days, summer. Times that test a man's soul.

      Delete
  14. I like the picture of the melting teapot! Here in Northern Ireland the summer temperature is usually warm rather than scorching. This summer has been especially dreary, with lowish temperatures and lots of rain. I used to live in London and the summer temperatures there could be unbearably hot, especially on the tube trains which had no air conditioning and could reach well over 100C.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern Ireland! We hope to visit Ireland (Cork, mainly) in summer 2021. If.

      Delete
  15. I used to love the summer. Then I got old and the summers got hotter. I no longer love summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tolerated summer as a teen. But that is about all that can be said.

      Delete
  16. You have the same temps that we've had this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Went shopping at 9:30 am, it was already in mid 90s. I am so sorry for your struggles.

      Delete
  17. Summer has never been my favourite season ...
    The older you get the harder it is to put up with the heat!

    Roll on cooler Autumn (Fall) days.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Couldn't agree with you more. I'm counting the days for this miserable month to be over. I seriously think I'm way too old to be counting days, I should be enjoying each and every one of them. But I will wait until September for that. At least our nights will be cool here in the canyon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. September will be better than August, anything would be better than August.

      Delete
  19. I love the hot and humid temperatures of Summer. Winter lasts 10 months out of the year and you don't have to shovel humidity. Because we have solar panels and the solar powerwall, the electric company will use our battery backup during the really hot weather so they don't have to brown out areas when it gets hot. We become a little power plant for them. Take care and I hope the weather is cooler for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm one of those people who adore summer and wish it could last longer, especially this year. But if the temps were in the 100s like that, I suspect I'd fall into your camp. And the air-con? Yikes. (We don't even have air-con at home or the cottage.... see why I like summer? Not so bad!)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!