blog Followers

Wednesday, November 19, 2025

Life in the depths




Recent floods and the installation of artificial turf had forced Ant Colony 307B to relocate at a far corner of an artichoke field. The ant  army acted as a unit to move every member from the arterial twists and turns of the now drenched network of their former home.

Moving the queen ant with her arsenal of ant larvae and drones had proved to be most interesting.  Trudging through soggy tunnels had revealed an unknown treasure of collected artwork.  Minute paint chips, grains of paprika, and tiny shreds of colored paper lined walls of the queen’s chamber.

The treasure remained behind as the tunnels collapsed.

Just how extensive is an ant colony/hill?  Watch this video (if you have Adobe Flash Player).
 
2015? These  words were chosen by Delores  Under the Porch Light who set up the Wednesday Words writing, always fun.This was to challenge bloggers who want to be challenged. River has taken up the mantle and provides amazing words.








14 comments:

  1. That would definitely be a big move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a fan of ants, but I do admire their work ethic and how they all come together to help in a crisi such as this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This absolutely floored me, Susan. Ants are certainly some of the most intriguing creatures on earth. God made all of us for His purpose and His glory. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not yet figured out why He made mosquitoes and ants. Any guesses.

      Delete
  4. Your story is excellent, and I have never heard of casting like this and find the video absolutely amazing. the finished ART is stunning to me. Wow! I have poured boiling water in ant hills, and have also pour grits in an ant hill but only with the intent to get those fire ants gone from my yard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Ants can nest in almost anywhere, and they are aggressive. I don't just want out of my yard, and I want to wipe them out.

      Delete
  5. Ants are nature's vacuum cleaners, much needed. Without them, we'd actually be in quite a pickle in this world.

    That's quite an array of tunnels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is true. So they do have some purpose!

      Delete
  6. A very good story ... and aren't ants amazing!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!