blog Followers

Sunday, November 16, 2025

Actions and their Consequences

 



We will always face the consequences of our actions.  I firmly believe this, even if it seems that there are some who seem to escape. 

This is not a moral judgment, although I could go in that direction.  No.  This is a simple observation of the Laws of Physics, cause and effect.

You trip over something or miss a step.  You can stumble and maybe catch yourself; if you are all of fifty-one pounds and seven years old, this is a good possibility. 

You can plant your face on the asphalt (I have done this, spectacularly!). If you are said seven year old, chances are you will jump up and keep on going, maybe with a skinned knee.  If you are ME, you will lie there for a while and then roll over to access the damage.

But, the primary point is that the fall-ee will face the consequences of the fall.

So it is that the life-long jogger approaching 70 will most likely be suffering with hip and knee joint problems.  Time for replacement surgery.

So it is that the old rock stars (Mick Jaggers and Steve Tyler) that have danced and contorted their bodies repeatedly probably hurt like heck in the morning when they roll out of their beds.

The current 'street dancers'?  By thirty, they will have hurt every joint they have.
The sunbathers who were bronzed to a fare-the-well back in pre-suntan-in-a-bottle days?  Dermatologists are busy treating skin cancer and unfortunately melanoma.  (Couldn't bring myself to show the sun-related skin diseases.)

To children and young people playing 
sports:  Think blowing out a joint or tearing a muscle, or even worse by the time one would be considering playing professionally. (I looked for photos on this, and some were beyond gruesome.)
 

Those heavy metal bands of the 80s?  Metallica?  I wonder if they are wearing hearing aids?
 
So, to this current generation who are always on the iPod or whatever with the ear bud thingies:  Think ‘hearing aids’ by age 40. 


To the Tweeters, Texters, and Twitters:  think ‘carpal tunnel 
 surgery’ by late 20s.  (Bloggers know this feeling!)
 
To the PStation and XBox players:  Think ‘arthritis’ in the thumb joint by the late 30s.

We all pay the consequences, eventually.
We can tell our own children about this
event in their futures. 

20 comments:

  1. Lot of truth here. Since I am totally deaf now and only hear using implants, I look back and KNOW a lot of this is my fault. I mentioned to a guy that having his music TOO loud he would lose his hearing early, His comment? "It will be worth it." I never saw him again that was 25 years ago. I hope he can still hear. I never even considered guns helicopters and jet planes would do me in but they sure helped. ;-O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be worth it? Okay. music and computer games can really hit the hearing and vision.

      Delete
  2. I wish more people in our society understood this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being responsible is a lifetime skill all should practice.

      Delete
  3. The horrid truth that no one under 30 will consider! But my experience with the "millennials" was that they never took responsibility for anything they did. Their parents stepped in and demanded no consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a boomer, Which I didn't appreciate as being significant. It is the standard of people who created and produced.

      Delete
  4. Amen and Amen, Sista! I know this is all true because I have personally experienced some of it and what I did not experience, my husband has, he is stone deaf without aids, because his entire working life was working with loud noise and no protection and his off time was spent out doors, and for the past 60 years out in the Florida Sun fishing, boating, beaching, in the pool, and has now had five melanomas and half dozens other skin cancers including an eyelid transplant to cover the hole in his other eye from cancer.
    I also made quite a few very wrong stupid decisions that the consequences made 63 years ago and again 50 years ago still to this day are in the works of my kids and myself
    The worst thing is, my 81 years of knowledge now known as wisdom from on the job of living training NO ONE WILL LISTEN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. My farmer father had severe hearing damage from working with equipment. We don't know we have until it's gone.

      Delete
  5. A Whitesnake concert did my hearing in. I will eventually need hearing aids. Fortunately for this guitar player, my hands still work great though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice. we get to enjoy what we can. Hearing aids are amazing. It makes life much easier.

      Delete
  6. Standing in surgery at the table for 50yrs has given me bilateral total knee replacements, neck fusion, carpal tunnel, and then a stupid move gave me 2 broken arms and more metal! My hubby says if I go first, he's sending me to the metal recycle place to pay for the funeral! Ha! But, with this and other dumb things over the years, I learned to not give up, keep moving and even still standing at that operating room table a few days a week! (Happy to be on that side of table and not on it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recycling? Good idea. You sure gave a lot of body parts and wear/tear to others. I have only a few pieces of metal and I hope that is all I get to have.

      Delete
  7. Every action we take now will demand accountability at some point, Susan. It's sad when the results harm us, especially in things we could have chosen to avoid. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our choices always lead to results. Accountability is a big one.

      Delete
  8. We can tell them, but they won't believe us. Or they'll wave it away as if it won't be a big deal. Some people have to learn the lessons the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You forgot to mention some other consequences. If you send a pot roast to a neighbor who is between jobs they may return the favor if you are in a tight spot. If you pay for someone's order at the fast food place. they may pay for the person after them. If you offer a shoulder to someone to cry on they will feel less like crying after. If you give a sincere friendly smile to everyone you see they will smile too and you will feel good. It works both ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So well spoken. If this, then that...The very expression of change

      Delete
  10. My son is already learning this. I learned long since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes a life time to see how this all came about.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!