![]() |
| Future Queen of Queens |
People contemplate Switzerland and immediately envision snow, mountains, cheese fondue, watches, chocolate and lots of other stuff, just like every other country. But, one is discounting a key factor in Switzerland's economy:
Bovines
Perhaps one of the strangest festivals involving cows is Annual Cow Fighting,
beginning in March, lasting through September. Cows will spend the
summer roaming and eating in the pastures, making delightful creamy milk
that turns into magical cheese. So they have some time to fight.
All cows are naturally bossy and territorial, loving a good cow fight.
Locking formidable horns, wrestling around a bit, until the loser gives
up. Being muscular and easily riled, this breed appears like it could
rip guts out.
Mooing loudly and apparently scary, the battle is mostly
push and shove. When one feels like she won this event, they both walk off the field, apparently to do something involving grazing.
From March to September, battles are held all around Switzerland, attracting tens of thousands of spectators. the final tournament will result the crowning of the Queen of Queens. The prize is one of those humongous ornate cowbell. Then any offspring will be sold for a big hefty price at an auction.(Big prize!)
YouTube, cows are paraded through town, showing their

Animals fighting... I mean, if they start the battle on their own. (Like, just last week I saw two Canadian geese going at it. My, the battle.)
ReplyDeleteI have seen geese battling it out. They are nasty.
DeleteIf only our battles were only push and shove... though I would not like to be pushed or shoved by a cow.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how huge cows are.
DeleteI don't think of cows when I think of Switzerland, but I will now. Mostly I think of embroidered national costumes, cheese and alpine horns and yodelling.
ReplyDeleteAll are part of an agriculture world.
DeleteJapan also has a form of bull sumo in which the bulls try to push each other out of the ring. This seems to be amusing to more than one culture.
ReplyDeleteThese sports have long histories. Swiss have to entertain themselves.
DeleteAt first I thought maybe this was a political post! Ha! It sounds like an interesting thing to witness but I don't think having to haul that huge bell around would be fun..but then I'm not a fighting cow! I would fight over some Swiss chocolate though!
ReplyDeleteChocolate in Switzerland is impossible to describe.
DeleteI've just attended my first cow fight. Even if it was just a YouTube video.
ReplyDeleteVia Computer screen will have to do for now.
DeleteWe drove thru Switzerland once in two days. Should have taken longer, but it was a whirlwind trip. WE missed the more down to earth parts of course like most tourists. Enjoyed the videos and post. Tourists don't know what to look for unless they do some digging, we did not.
ReplyDeleteSherry & jack smiling at the cow fights, never seen them before.
We find the same. It all depends on how much time, how much $$.
DeleteHi Susan - I've never heard of this - yes the bull fighting over in Spain ... but cows - they can be dangerous ... I know when we walk the dogs ... we need them on leads and walk slowly on the edge of the field. But I hadn't realised 'they fought' in Switzerland for 'fun' ... interesting! cheers Hilary
ReplyDeleteDon't mess with cows. We had 3 milk cows, and one of them was feisty.
DeleteThis was the most unique thing, Susan. What an eye opener.
ReplyDeleteCountries have traditions that surprise us.
DeleteThe bells help cow herders locate the cow. Why some are bigger? I have no idea.
DeleteDefinitely learned something here! IDK as I'd wanna win something that big just to hang it on my neck, I got enough back issues!
ReplyDeleteThat bell must be heavy. I know it serves a purpose.
ReplyDeleteI've never been around cows before but I wouldn't want to be near a mad one.
ReplyDeleteCows are big and strong,can be dangerous. For the most part, my brothers milked our cows without trouble.
DeleteNo matter how loudly I moo, nobody takes any notice of me!! :)
ReplyDelete