Ten more days…only ten more days…Rosalie heard this phrase in her mind with each bus stop, with each passenger trundling off the bus and new passengers pulling themselves aboard. Her smile greeted them with each closing of the door. Ten more days.
After all these years, Rosalie had come to know their names, their lives with all the good and bad, and how they aged as she followed them wrinkle for wrinkle. Now, retirement marched closely: Ten more days.
Then a new passenger, pretty young woman clutching her bag and books to her chest, leaped upon the steps. Looking over her shoulder, pretty woman caught the glare of an angry man racing after the bus. “You bitch! Get yourself out here!” He screamed her name, “Cassie!”
“You okay, baby?” Rosalie closed the door and pulled away from the bus stop, brakes and hydraulics singing. She saw in the mirror other passengers, faces creased and worried. Young Woman looked up, face bruised and tears creasing. “Cassie?”
No story needed.
“We all been there, Sweet Child…Bastard needs a good whuppin’…We keep you safe here, Baby…” Slowly a smile crept across Cassie’s face.
Day after day, Cassie raced faster and faster, the Bastard drawing closer and closer. Day after day, the Bus Family held her, carried her to safety.
Then one day, on Day Ten, Bastard gripped Cassie’s arm, backhanding her soft face.
The bus door opened, with Rosalie flying out, facing the Bastard nose to nose. Following close behind, the Bus Family surrounded, encircling him tightly. Rosalie lightly rested her hands on Cassie’s shoulders, whispering, “You tell him, girl. You don’t need him anymore. We’ll take you in.”
Words bottled up burst out and nailed the Bastard for every sin that was his. The circle tightened when Cassie gave him a right cross. “You get your crap outta my apartment before I get back…”
The Bus Family climbed back on, each one shoving or kicking him. We take care of our own…
Rosalie smiled inwardly. I’ll tell the company I’ll stay for a few more months….
This is a repost from 2015. Battered women need people to surround and protect them. Is there anyone you can think of one who needs your voice? October is the month named in honor of all abused women.


WOW, I was never a bus rider. BUT I blog with one, or used to. She doesn't do much, but every day was a bus rider story.
ReplyDeleteThis story is important, we as people should band together when needed to help the Cassies of the world, because the story is true, day after day somewhere.
GREAT poignant story. THANKS
Sherry & jack
1 out of 4 women are victims of abuse. 1 in 18 men are also abused by their wives.
DeleteHooray for a family ready to take Cassie (any of the Cassies) in. Sadly too many turn their backs and walk away...
ReplyDeleteWould I walk away now, a wiser older woman? I hope I wouldn't.
DeleteOver 50 years ago, we lived in an apartment and another newly married couple lived in the apartment next to us. We shared a wall and could often hear them fighting. Then it escalated and it became physical. I was often alone at night because my husband worked shift and I was afraid to get involved. At that time, people minded their own business and did not call the police. I remember seeing them a few times in the hallway and they “looked” like a happy couple and I tried to convince myself that what I heard wasn’t what it was. We moved shortly after. I think about that time and hate that I did nothing and truly hope that she left him before it got worse.
ReplyDeleteIt was difficult to know what to do when I was that age too. Turning an eye was the common response. We didn't know at that time.
DeleteGreat, great, great post. I've known too many Cassies. And too few bus families.
ReplyDeleteI think most people in a public place do turn their heads. But with the closeness and support of any loving group of people, there is help and rescue.
DeleteI really good and really important short piece.
ReplyDeleteIt is very good that you posted this.
Thanks, Brian. Some topics have to be addressed.
DeleteIt's nice she found some allies.
ReplyDeleteWithout a safety net Cassie could not have summoned the courage to make the break.
DeleteJust wow. Gonna share this with a friend...
ReplyDeleteI hope this somehow changes some lives.
DeleteWe've sheltered a few Cassie's here, gotten them on their way to safety. Everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.
ReplyDeleteYou and all others helping women to escape,God bless you all.
DeleteVery glad Cassie got onto Rosalie's bus and not any other.
ReplyDeleteSerendipitous!
DeleteHi Susan - brilliantly told story ... stories like these need to be shared and we need to do what we can to help. I just wish all the 'Cassies' of this world can be free of their troubles - while the 'Rosalies' deserve so much recognition ... all the best - Hilary
ReplyDeleteYes, having a 'Rosalie' in one's life can change the whole world.
DeleteWhat a story ... all too true these days.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Too common, isn't it.
DeleteVery powerful indeed! Thanks for sharing this story.
ReplyDeleteStories of this type of abuse used to get squelched. In my childhood, women were helpless.
DeleteVery powerful story.
ReplyDeleteThere is power in writing, in the words.
DeleteThis was wonderful. Kudos.
ReplyDeleteThank you. Words can paint such a picture.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSorry I made a typo.
ReplyDeleteMy Dad was abused by my mother. He never escaped, something that haunts me every day. I should have done more but she was abusive to me and my brother too.
She was an unwell person. You could not have done anything. I am so sorry.
DeleteSometimes strangers give the most support!
ReplyDeleteThat is so true.
DeleteNice piece. We need each other. We should all be "the bus family."
ReplyDeleteAmen to that!
DeleteI loved that uplifting story. We all need support at times.
ReplyDeleteBeatles' song: Don't we need anybody? Just need someone to love. wording may be wrong.
Delete