Robert and me sitting on the back porch. He was 2.5 yrs. old and I was 1.5
It is a humbling thing to admit to one’s fears, especially when they seem silly. I suffer from “alektorophobia”, which is a fear of chickens. Yes, chickens. Fortunately, I can trace the source of my fear to a childhood event that spurred and shaped the rest of my life.
When I was born, we lived on a remote farm where my parents raised Angus cattle and chickens, lots and lots of chickens. Mom collected the eggs; once a week ‘the egg man’ would come by and pay her for the eggs. She also made butter, so perhaps she sold that as well.
Every day, my brother Robert and I would toddle along with her to the barn where the free-range chickens laid their eggs. Robert held onto Mom’s skirt, and I held Robert’s hand. It was a train, but it had flaws.
Robert was 3+ years old, and I was 10 ½ months younger. So that put me at 2 ½ years old at the time of this event. Most will question the validity of being able to recall events from such a young age, but the trauma of this event has made the memory indelible. Add to that, my mother confirmed certain facts, ending with, “You remember that? Why, Susie, that was just a silly chicken.”
Our train had moved on, but I could still see Mom’s back. There was an old corn bin next to me, so I crawled up into it because I noticed a pile of shelled corn. I plopped down beside it and began filtering my little fingers through the pile. The corn showered down to the pile, over and over, and I laughed at the golden kernels.
A shadow filled the doorway through which I had climbed, the only way in or out of the corn bin. I glanced up, and then looked up with real fear. It was a rooster that stood taller than a little girl who was happily sitting in a pile of shelled corn. The shelled corn was the chicken’s food, I was to find out later, and I was sitting square on top of it all.
The rooster came closer, cocking its head this way and that, the way chickens do. It had evil eyes, malevolent eyes that were angry at me, a little girl in a new red-and-white gingham dress.
By the time it was only a few feet from me, I could see its angry red cockscomb and razor sharp beak. It was about ten feet tall now, and I burst out in screams. I probably wet my pants as well. The rooster responded by flaring out its feathers, and came even closer.
Mom arrived, my dear brave mother who scooped up the rooster and tossed it out of the corn bin. In her own mother-hen way, she soothed me and hoisted me up on her hip. Robert stood waiting outside the bin with the rooster, both looking at me with confusion.
We made our little train, only this time Robert was the caboose. We toddled back to the house.
My fear has manifested itself only a few times, but with enough vehemence that I pull up that memory and I shudder. I do not wet my pants.
Sidenote: In my farming youth, processing chickens was on my list of things never to do again. I was a feisty teenager with a long list.
I wrote and posted this right after Mom died in 2011.





That would terrify most people, let alone a small toddler such as yourself. It's true that fear can absolutely sear the traumatic memory into the brain. My first memory dates from 4 years of age from trauma as well.
ReplyDeleteWhatever it was, you are surely reliving that event in your mind.
DeleteI can imagine that would be traumatizing. Especially how close in size you both were at the time. Not a silly fear in the slightest.
ReplyDeletePeople have all sorts of reaction to my fear. Mostly they shrug it off. No one has asked me why. I am waiting.
DeleteI can so understand that fear. And roosters do indeed seem malevolent. Himself's sister adores chickens and for a while she had a rooster that would sit on her lap and watch television in the evenings. Not for me. So not for me.
ReplyDeleteEww. I think of cats as being the pet of choice. A rooster needs a Valium to mellow it out.
DeleteThat would be scary for an adult but for a youngster, yikes!
ReplyDeleteThe memory is so vivid. I can remember every detail.
DeleteI'm smiling, I never heard the name of the fear, but I have a friend who doesn't touch chickens cooked, dead or a live. His fear comes from the chicken house and his grandma. But the oddest thing, his last 'business' with which he was very successful was raising turkeys. He and turkeys are friends, and he loves to eat turkey. I tell Dallas, you are strange my friend. LOL BUT , but no matter the 'fear' you have, it makes a very interesting story, thanks.
ReplyDeleteFrom our neck of the woods
Sherry & jack
If you have never plucked a chicken, you are in for a treat! Not really. I use quality latex gloves to cut up raw chicken. I know too much.
DeleteThis is interesting. I have never heard of alektorophobia before.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about that frightening incident that you had as a child. Roosters can be very combative.
I will never take on a rooster ever again.
DeleteOddly enough I don't have the sense to be scared of much of anything. Vampires are about the extent of it. But chickens are not the gentle creatures they seem to be.
ReplyDeleteChickens are bad, but geese--evil creatures!
DeleteI've read a few stories over the years of early childhood traumas that scarred for life. Yet in my own life, I cannot remember a single incident that frightened me so much I feared it forever. I just don't remember ever being frightened, not by anything.
ReplyDeleteYou were a blessed child!!
DeleteMy earliest memory is from the age of 2 or 3. I fell (or was PUSHED by a cousin!) onto my grandma's potted cactus! The part I remember is being stretched out on the kitchen counter with relatives pulling the needles out of my not-yet-ample rumpus! I am not afraid of cacti.
ReplyDeleteOuch! That is one heck of a memory!
DeleteHi Susan - what a lovely reminder of your mother ... at how brilliant she was as a farmer's wife and a mother ... I can imagine the delightful tale of the family and the fun you had getting in amongst the corn ... then the horror and fear comes to the fore: I can feel that too ... and the fact you carry it with you to this day ... thank you for posting for us to read. Stay safe - Hilary
ReplyDeleteThis was our life on the farm. I do not know how my mom eventually had 5 children.
DeleteSome emotions remain that fresh and real.
ReplyDeleteI still hate centipedes just from something I read in a Nancy Drew book...
ReplyDeleteNancy Drew and centipedes? Now I will have to look that one up.
DeleteGood luck! It was one line in the middle of a book I read about 50 years ago...
DeleteWhat you experienced was "single trial learning." It is indelible and lasts a lifetime. It's amazing you remember it from such a young age, but once it was imprinted on your memory, it was there forever. I'm glad you shared this again, because I learned a new word today.
ReplyDeleteIt was enjoyable to tell other writers about this event in my life.
DeleteHaving a memory that can go back that far and pull up things seen or done way back when can be a burden, curse, and yet a source of family memories.
You remember more than I do. I remember the dog, a collie that would round up the cow for milking. The dog went everywhere with me.
ReplyDeleteI never was in on the milking, which made me so happy. I wonder what the name was? Max?
DeleteI can well believe that a single traumatic experience could instill lifetime fear. I suspect something like that happened with my developmentally disabled brother in law and a lifetime fear of something many of us consider an every day object- the stove. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com
ReplyDeletePoor guy. Can he verbalize his fears?
DeleteMy earliest memory was when I was 3 and we were driving out to California. I remember sleeping on the floor in the back seat..this is 1956 so no car seats back then! I remember getting car sick and also a very vivid memory of being in a public swimming pool with my Aunt on that same vacation. Your fear of chickens isn't so strange. I think roosters can be mean! My neighbors have chickens that free range on our property which is fine since they eat bugs like ticks. But when I go out and they all start crowing and making noise and then march down toward me I do take a turn for the porch! Maybe I have the same fear? I grew up with a pet chicken named Hilda and I loved her! Wonderful memory you shared here and I hope you don't have any run ins with your fear!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the encouragement. Hilda is a great name.
DeleteI would have been afraid of that rooster today if I came across an aggressive one. :)
ReplyDeleteI suffer the same, my story started at age 2. Attacked by my greant grandmothers rooster in my grandmothers yard, Daddy picked the rooster up and wrung its neck and great granny cooked it. I did not eat it then and I still have trouble eating chicken that I cook myself
ReplyDeleteat 8 I was attacked by a gobbler, who ripped my new satin Easter dress to shreds with his spurs. also chased by geese, that made me NOT a bird watcher and was topped off by silly stupid me watching Hitchcocks The Birds. In the past 5 years I have come to like birds more because of all the blogs I follow. about 4 years ago, a stunning brightly colored not your average rooster appeared in our front yard. the bloggers wanted to know why there was no photo on the story. Because I refused to go in the front yard to take the photo. I almost forgot the male peacock at Jungle Gardens during mating season, ran at me hissing, ov vey