blog Followers

Monday, January 25, 2021

One's Kitchen is his Kingdom.

 


Source + recipes

In the backwaters of Louisiana, the place to eat was at  Kalper's 
Kitchen, where unique and delicious fare could be found. Good food was prepared by the man, Kalper himself.  He was always the force blowing full bore around his kitchen, letting no one and nothing get in his way.


Not an easy person to approach, his manic brilliance gave new definitions to Southern fried catfish and smoked ribs.  AND all who knew Kalper also understood to stay out of Kalper's kitchen during these hours of inspired creation.

Sadly, a short new sous chef, Whittier, was ignorant, and stumbled into the kitchen whereupon Kalper promptly skewered Whittier with his newest blade, a nine-inch Miyabi Birchwood.

squelched scream gurgled. Hearing the thud,  Kalper's three brothers,rushed in to grab Whittier by his Nike sneakers, and drag him to the freezer. 

One muttered, “Damn! That’s the fourth one this month."

They tossed Whittier onto the heap of Alvin, Sanders, and Simon. “Damn shame.”


The italicized underline letters are from Wednesday Words. This collection is from River, Drifting through Life, posted back in 2015. We had some excellent BBQ two days ago, and this came up in my brain.  

           

21 comments:

  1. Your brain takes you on some dark paths - and I am always happy to follow you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the events in a backwater/hollers are too true to be believed.

      Delete
  2. It's a wonder no one's come looking for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalper's is in the swamps of Louisiana. The wildlife will eat fine when the 4 go out to the River.

      Delete
  3. I think a short visit to your psychiatrist is soon to be in order. Imma 'fraid I will skip Kalper's Kitchen. Thinking maybe I's be eating some Alvin, Sanders et al. Just sayin'.

    But it is fun, but...... you might be certifiable.
    Stay safe, be sweet and TRY TO BE GOOD!
    Love from NC with no wind.
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been told that before, after a peculiarly tilted story.

      Delete
  4. Wild story. I like it.

    I also like barbecue. Despite the resolution of the story, I am now hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. Tomorrow is early dinner special BBQ feast locally. We will be there.

      Delete
  5. Depending on what part of Louisiana, and what time period, indeed, they could have disappeared without a trace.

    For the most part, 'gators do not prefer to eat us, but the crabs have no such compunction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are several places around the world I don't want to visit. Any place with 'gators is on that list.

      Delete
  6. I guess we all know now where Kalper gets his ribs from, heh heh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone needs to guard the door to keep folks out at Kalpeer's critical moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think one of the brothers could have figure it out.

      Delete
  8. Alvin, Sanders, Simon, and Whittier. Sound more like attorneys than sous chefs...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows? They may have failed sous chef school.

      Delete
  9. Your stories always take me by surprise and make me smile even though this was a bit scary! Although when I'm cooking I don't like a crowd in my kitchen either. I wouldn't go that far since clean up would take too much time! (I worked in surgery for 49yrs so I know that!) But those ribs do have me thinking I need some BBQ!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The underlined words require to get worked in somehow. That makes for interesting combinations. Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!