blog Followers

Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Clare in the Mist, waiting waiting

 

Clare in the mist, courtesy of http://1stwrites.blogspot.com

‘Today, I will watch for him today,’ Clare thought, staring out across the bay.

The mist roiled about her, soaking her to the skin.  Clare shivered and then her skin relaxed in the warmth that followed.  Listening for a sound, she found herself in a cocoon of mist and silence. 

How many days had Jackson been gone?  ‘Today is three-hundred eighty-four’, she rolled the number around in her head.  Flash images of his back as he slung his rucksack  over his shoulder, growing smaller in the distance as he rowed his curragh away from her—that’s all she could see now.  His face was a blur, lost in a mist itself.

Still no sound, Clare strained to hear, to see just a hint that Jackson was coming back to her.  That he would stay this time.

Then a sound, ker-plunk, broke the stillness of the air, the glassiness of the water.

Click on the link.  This is from a photo prompt, way back in 2011. I was looking for something else, and found this instead.  I do enjoy writing a short story.

What do you think Clare is thinking? Such devotion, is it one sided? Where did Jackson go? Why? What would you do?

31 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Bob Dylan singing "North County Fair" felt like that.

      Delete
  2. She looks pretty cool out in the mist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do wonder if he'll return or was the sound just something jumping in the water. Love does strange things to people...like waiting a lifetime in hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems impossible for Claire to be hugged by Jackson. Hope springs eternal.

      Delete
  4. Clare is fervently wishing to see her love who had gone to sea. He told her they would marry as soon as he returned having earned enough money to take care of her. Only one ker-plunk was something being dropped into the water. I am afraid her wait will be longer. She needs to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Clare. Sadly so many women watch and wait. And watch and wait some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of the loneliness the "whaler's wives/widows" experienced.

      Delete
  6. I always love your short stories. We are back in NC, I even hauled leaves today. Son Jack racked our fall leaves into a giant pile, now I will haul them out into the woods. Yeah I know, that is another story!
    Love you lady, I am just playing catch up after a days work.....
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in NC! I do have a raking story or two.
      Glad you are home once more.

      Delete
  7. BUT, but yes, the story very well fits the picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is haunting and it was fun to write around it.

      Delete
  8. That ker-plunk was one of Claire's tears. She can't let go. Jackson would have come back by now if he was going to. He thought he was letting her down easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice, she can't let go. Jackson was being an idiot.

      Delete
  9. That is a lovely picture and I do hope Jackson comes back to her, perhaps after several unexpected adventures that delayed his return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just watched The Odyssey, and Ulysses wandered for 20 years. Jackson may be on a journey like that.

      Delete
  10. Jackson rowed the boat ashore ... Hallelujah!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Jackson must have gotten lost, or his paddles got lost.

      Delete
  11. Sometimes I think, that's so sappy, I'd never sit there. And then I think of Scrappy...

    ReplyDelete
  12. If he left for his itchy feet, he won't be back. If he left to try to do better so he could come back to her with things they need, he will be back unless he's met his final end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loneliness is heartbreaking, but I fear so is Claire's love of Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Clare hasn't heard from Jackson in over a year, maybe it's time to move on. Love the image for your story.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!