blog Followers

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Potato vs. Potatoes




Languages are peculiar, different, exciting, embarrassing...and everything else.  Some words move easily from one language to another, since those are was are called "Romance Languages".  Latin was the primary source, and words morphed from Italy to Europe, and onward. German comes from middle Europe initially and then also morphed with other languages that shared their own Indo-European source.  

This is all well and good. We love to hear from where our existence developed and the words that sprang out of that.

So here are a few languages, introducing a vocabulary as well as the formation of the word.  



I confess that I put these out there because these are so creative. My husband lived with a German family when he was attending a German language school in the late 1960s. Here it is nearly 50 years later, and he still remembers a lot.

Our oldest grandson (8 yrs)  in Switzerland has announced that he speaks four languages: British English, American English, German, and Swiss German. Dang, he does!  

  In 30+ years ago, when we lived in Ireland, our children learned English and Irish Gaelic.  Our oldest was 10 yrs. old, and wasn't required to learn the Irish. Our son was in 2nd grade and daughter was in Jr. Infants (young Kgt) He became quite fluent, so much so that his teacher wanted him to skip a year.

Anyway, the song above is one of the most used and appreciated country songs. After hearing the uniqueness of the Irish language in song, it is easy to fall in love with Ireland, the Irish, the Gaelic language, the food, the ale, stout, ....

Languages are crazy amazing.



23 comments:

  1. In school I learnt (or learned) five languages. I hated German and loved English. Since then I have for many years now loved to listen to German Lieder, songs, and lately have tried to once again understand German and appreciate it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those German videos are hilarious! I come from German-speaking ancestors, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that speaks 4 languages. In our house I speak Southern English Bob speaks Yankee English and we both speak Florida English which is a combination of those two

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe , Husband speaks New York English and I speak Midwest English.0

      Delete
  4. I had fun with the different languages even if that poor German fellow needed an enema. As for the Gaelic song, go raibh maith agat. Slainte.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enema! Absolutely!

      Not many know that song, or understand some words in Gaelic. Ta' Fa'ilte romhat.

      Delete
  5. Languages are fascinating. I wish that I had more formal knowledge about linguistics. I used to listen to a radio show that had a linguist come on every month. It was great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Spanish and English are all I can claim.

      Delete
  6. Languages are crazy. Did you see the NOVA about the origin of the alphabet? It's amazing to learn that A is just a representation of bull horns (turned on its head).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that! Makes sense when I look at that.

      Delete
  7. I'd forgotten just how harsh and angry the German is. I never learned any, having been in Australia since I was 9 months old and now I'm glad. I never want to sound like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. German is a harsh language just as you said/heard. My husband listened to this and understand it, esp. when it is written.

      Delete
  8. haha that first video made me laugh though i don't think German is as bad lol

    wow your family seems to be lucky to have opportunity to travel and learn many languages dear Susan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susan - I tried German = failed! I tried French and Italian, then Afrikaans when out in South Africa ... they all help a tiny amount - but I'm glad I was born English and naturally spoke it! The Irish folk-song is delightful ... I'm loving it - very gentle sound ... take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Language is fascinating. Germans have from what I know both a high and low German. The high is taught in school and the low is what the "common" people talk. I'll just go with one word: STOUT. The only beer I'll drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our grandson in Switzerland learns both: HIgh German, Swiss German.

      Delete
  11. English is a German language with a Latin overcoat, and has picked up words from almost every other language family there is. To me, it's sort of the mutt of the language world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! Being in the middle of European world, Germany would have languages surrounding it. Mutt!

      Delete
  12. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, I am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called Dr Imoloa. I was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in 2013, I went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking on how I can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where I can get a solution. I go through many websites where I saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. I did not believe but I decided to give him a try, I contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which I received through DHL courier service. I took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test I was confirmed herpes negative. Am so free and happy. So, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. Or / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. He also has
    herbal cure for, FEVER, BODY PAIN, DIARRHOEA, MOUTH ULCER, MOUTH CANCER FATIGUE, MUSCLE ACHES, LUPUS, SKIN CANCER, PENILE CANCER, BREAST CANCER, PANCREATIC CANCER, CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE, VAGINAL CANCER, CERVICAL CANCER, DISEASE, JOINT PAIN, POLIO DISEASE, PARKINSON'S DISEASE, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, BULIMIA DISEASE, INFLAMMATORY JOINT DISEASE CYSTIC FIBROSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, CORNEAL ULCER, EPILEPSY, FETAL ALCOHOL SPECTRUM, LICHEN PLANUS, COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITIS A, B. DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC RESPIRATORY DISEASE, CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE, NEOPLASMS, MENTAL AND BEHAVIOURAL DISORDER, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, TUBERCULOSIS LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, DRY COUGH, ARTHRITIS, LEUKAEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.
    website- www.drimolaherbalmademedicine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!