Why does South America feel like it could cozy up with Africa? Why is Australia off by itself, containing unique critters of its own? Why is there a Gulf Stream that swirls hot to cold, an interactive exchange? Can any continent claim that it has the hottest temperature? Personally, I'd go for Africa. Sahara Desert wins, hands down.
Alfred Wegener published The Origin of Continents, in 1912. He posited that at that time, there had been only one massive continent, which he named Pangaea, or Pangea. It was during a 600 million year span to some other million, land masses broke apart in a continental shift, similar to pieces of driftwood rolling through waters until it found a home. (First, continents were together, then they broke up, and then they moved back...Fickle, if you ask me.)
Wegener's book seemed to solve a great mystery to most people. I suspect that other geologists may have wondered about this but discounted it, but Pangaea seemed to make sense to average humans. I mean, really. Just look at a jigsaw puzzle, you academics.
Unbelievably, this created quite an uproar, was controversial until the 1950s. But, even so, Wegener had cast his scientific reputation to test the waters in early 20th century years. I'd say he took quite a chance on this, but then...
This shift had all sorts of ramifications, too numerous here. Feel free to check it out. BUT it is patently clear that there will be no effort for earth to reconnect any time soon.
Carole King from YouTube
The above above bold italicized underlined words are a gift from Wednesday Words first set up by Delores. She stepped out the light and handed the torch to other bloggers. These above words were, provided by River. This was originally posted in 2016.
Participants may post their take on these words in that blogger's comment section, or indicate that your post will be at your site. This helps readers to find you, which is nice. Also, use the words for own peculiar take on them.
For next Wednesday, check with Elephant's Child .

Why? Why did the earth break up into pieces like South America, Australia and so on? Who broke it into pieces? How did the pieces sail away in different directions? What if someone was standing just on the bit of land where the crack happened. They'd have one foot on one continent and one in the other. What a choice to make before falling off in the sea?
ReplyDeleteI'm confused, Susan.
God bless.
God had a plan. Where would I place my feet?
ReplyDeleteLove your take. And yes, I will put up a post on Wednesday morning (my time) to tell people where to find the prompts this week. Thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteReading the word prompts is always fun.
DeleteSounds like a book I should read.
ReplyDeleteSame here. Just checked Amazon for the books, costs about $15.
DeleteWegener's book would be a very interesting read. I might just have to grab a copy!
ReplyDeleteIt was a brave thing to publish not knowing how the scientific community receives it.
DeleteEnjoyed the story. I remember some of it (the break-up that is) I remember how it felt for the entire continent to be moving it was cool, (then I woke up!)
ReplyDeleteI love to see some one ENJOY what they do., this CArole does!
Love your way, stay safe.
Man, I slept through the continental drift.
DeleteGenesis 10:25 may be a clue on what happened- and it might have been more a rush than a drift...
ReplyDeleteCould you post about this chapter and verse?
DeleteIt's at https://humbleauthorbsp.blogspot.com/2019/07/sunday-message-earthquake-that-changed.html
DeleteSome people still think the earth is flat.
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing. Pretty passionate group of people. Not big on common sense, but passionate.
DeleteI've often wondered how Australia fit into the jigsaw but your map shows how it could, thank you.
ReplyDeleteThe jigsaw pieces nestled in nicely.
DeleteFascinating post. A definite thumbs up, Susan.
ReplyDeleteAlways glad to share.
DeleteBack when I was in elementary school, one of my classmates asked about the shapes of the continents, and the teacher said it was coincidence. I remember it because when I found out she was wrong, I remembered the conversation.
ReplyDeleteI have a theory that the Earth was originally the size of Pangaea. As the size of the world expanded the Pangaea broke apart because of that.
ReplyDeleteReally makes you think how things change...even if it takes millions of years.
ReplyDeleteI think the continents are still moving causing earthquakes as they move.
ReplyDeletethank you sooo much for wonderful post dear Susan
ReplyDeletei really really wonder how was the earth so so so long ago and how it came to this point step by step
change is second name of life indeed
It seems so obvious by looking at them that the continents once fitted together. It is so interesting that it took so long for this to be accepted. This is also a reminder that given enough time, everything changes.
ReplyDeleteNo one was there, so it's all theory anyway. It is a good theory, though.
ReplyDelete