The irony of article below is that such devotion to home and hubby was part of the TV programming. Donna Reed? Leave it to Beaver? Dr. Welby? Father Knows Best? Those ladies were primary role models who showed the wives how to a home for their Veteran husbands.
Could this happen in your home?
Speaking from decades of marriage, I can tell you straight out, #10 (first list) will happen, but the rest should be read at a party, where wine is flowing.
Maybe one of the husbands can print the articles out and read them aloud for friends down at the feed store, Lowe's, on Zoom...Your friends will find them amusing.




I wonder if any homes were actually like that in the '50s.
ReplyDeleteOH, I do wonder the same.
DeleteOurs was. Mum could not abide an untidy home and we learned from her.
DeleteWHAT? Are you trying to start a fight?
ReplyDeleteBut it is a good thing you published this, many of you girls have forgotten!
OUCH Do NOT hit me again!!!
You would think TV was run by men in the 50's! :-O
Seriously, things they re a changing, some things for the better. It has took her over 60 years to teach me, but I am still learning!
Love from here anyway...
Sherry & jack (She isn't here yet)
Do you get any report cards?
DeleteYou're gonna hate me but I don't do many of those 1950's housewife things like eliminate the noise. Geez. But he does all of the list for her. I just got a sweet note under my coffee cup yesterday. The note was for a date night tonight. Why would I stay married if he didn't? :-) I may not be a 1950s wife but I am a great partner. But dinner is not always ready and that's when he cooks. I don't fix myself up before he gets home, I am covid frumpy these days, and make the evening his? Oh for the love of God we both work, we're both exhausted and it's about us, not one or the other. I would love to live in the time of innocence like Leave it To Beaver but that is the only thing I'd enjoy from that era!
ReplyDeleteYou are blessed to have such a dear heart.
Deletebtw, we've been together for 33 yrs. so it's not like we are young and it's all new and shiny. :-)
ReplyDelete47 for us, and yet we still see each other as we did all those years ago.
DeleteWe do too Susan (at least I do, lol) Congratuaations to you kids who are sticking together, and LOVE can do that. Yeah at 82 she is still that beautiful 17 yr old with a pony tail. I was blessed to be raised in a 'Leave it to Beaver' Home. All the kids KNEW mama pulled the strings..... ;-)
DeleteI have been happily married for 24 years. I think that a little tender loving care and devotion goes a long way, as long as both spouses practice it. So maybe these lists should be looked at not so much as things always to do all the time, but things to do some of the time. Of course, partners need to do them.
ReplyDeleteThe top saying is very funny.
Marriage is definitely always a work in process.
DeleteI remember always having a clean, quiet house with dinner cooking for hubby to come home to, even when I was also working, except then the dinner got started a little later. He left anyway, for a younger woman. We'd grown apart, so it wasn't a huge wrench.
ReplyDeleteYou did it all and he left---that was his fault, stupidity.
DeleteI like the if it's broken, fix it mentality. Not everyone does though...we're kind of in a disposable mentality that really doesn't benefit anyone, but leaves a lot of hurt behind. There are so many broken families!!! :( Years ago, my MIL told me to keep a man happy make sure he has rest, good food, and lots of (well, you know). She also told me to wear a bow in my hair. -_- I didn't go for the bow thing, maybe that's why he left? LOL Kidding, but I made myself laugh. ;) Have a wonderful day!!
ReplyDeleteBows in your hair? If that did the trick, there would be a lot of bows around.
DeleteI do most of that on the list for my wife.
ReplyDeleteThat last one is the truth. People just give up to easily.
In some show, an older woman told the tearful young newlywed. "Just look on this one as a practice wedding."
DeleteI can remember reading that your husband should never see you without make-up. That means getting up half an hour early and going to sleep half an hour later. Married people should be conscious of each others needs and desires. For one to constantly give and the other to constantly take makes for an unhappy coupling.
ReplyDeleteLooking back at my mother's generation, I wonder if that was the case.
DeleteI took an undergrad class where the instructor told us she could tell what generation the female was from because of the VERY NORMS you shared in the first list. The advent of TV must have been quite a boom for men, but did little for women of that era.
ReplyDeleteI DO agree with the last card. I was NOT from that generation, but my grandparents were and they learned to recycle responsibly, unlike our throw-away generations we are experiencing (and raising) today.
Each generation develops that new norms. Now? This new norm we live with, that will develop a whole new norm.
DeleteI am thinking that both of these are all propaganda written by men in the past and I have never known any home that any of this happened in except my mother tried to do most of this because she didn't know any better. And I can tell you that my dad dad never did any of that and neither have any of my husband
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine any husband/man thinking a woman would compliant like that.
DeleteThat comic at the bottom says it all.
ReplyDeleteIt does make a sweet statement, esp. to all who reach that point in their lives together.
Delete