The first time I read Animal Farm in high school I was astounded. The courage of the animals fighting against the humans, with the hogs as the forceful nature negotiating. (as a farmer's daughter, let me tell you that hogs cannot be trusted. Nasty natures.) The true heroes are the animals who are selfless in this struggle.
Then after some years, an animated version of the story appeared on TV. Pretty much the same as the book, this time I was furious at the hogs, as their true cruelty and deviousness comes to light. It is such a surprising book, especially given the time period, WW2 and pre-Cold War.
The narration is everything such a story would require. Allegorical, metaphorical, satirical, it is a veiled comparison to USSR. When the book is freely published, it was not well received in Socialist countries of the world, still isn't. The following paragraph is from Wikipedia, partial synopsis.
poorly-run Manor Farm near Willingdon, England, is ripened for rebellion from its animal populace by neglect at the hands of the irresponsible and alcoholic farmer, Mr. Jones.
One night, the exalted boar, Old Major, holds a conference, at which he calls for the overthrow of humans and teaches the animals a revolutionary song called "Beasts of England".
When Old Major dies, two young pigs, Snowball and Napoleon, assume command and stage a revolt, driving Mr. Jones off the farm and renaming the property "Animal Farm".
They adopt the Seven Commandments of Animalism, the most important of which is, "All animals are equal". The decree is painted in large letters on one side of the barn.
Snowball teaches the animals to read and write, while Napoleon educates young puppies on the principles of Animalism. Food is plentiful, and the farm runs smoothly. The pigs elevate themselves to positions of leadership and set aside special food items, ostensibly for their personal health.
Following an unsuccessful attempt by Mr. Jones and his associates to retake the farm (later dubbed the "Battle of the Cowshed"), Snowball announces his plans to modernize the farm by building a windmill. Napoleon disputes this idea, and matters come to head, which culminate in Napoleon's dogs chasing Snowball away and Napoleon declaring himself supreme commander."
I read it in high school. Not for a class, just for fun, because I wanted to see what it was about. Same thing with "1984." I enjoyed them much more than "The House of the Seven Gables," which WAS assigned reading.
my HS teacher did not follow the district's guide lines. She was the 3rd teacher we had that year, and this lady was at the bottom of the available-teacher list. I have never read The House of the Seven Gables.
Now I must look thru the collection of books son Mark brought yesterday. I have never read Animal Farm, but it sure sounds like it was aa great 'novel idea!' Imma check it out. I did enjoy the read and 'Book Report!' Yeah I do remember the term from school, over 70 years go. Wow my girl is getting older. Thanks for a good read. sherry & jack
I was assigned Animal Farm in junior high (what middle school was called then) and I remembered how I went to a local bookstore to find it and they had no idea what I was talking about. I did find it, and loved it. Read "1984" not long after. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com
Like several others, I also read Animal Farm in junior high. I also read 1984, which I loved equally. I think these are both quite appropriate for these times.
They teach it at the schools I work at, so I've read it from that. It was never assigned when I was in school (that I recall, although I was familiar with it). It's like The House on Mango Street. I've read the whole thing, but not in order, and via various classes where they were covering various chapters at different times.
Like you, I read Animal Farm in high school, followed by 1984. It's sad that most people only know these two books by George Orwell (if at all) since he has been an outstanding writer. His essays are a great read.
Hi Susan - thanks for the reminder ... I keep coming across Orwell in many aspects - so must get Animal Farm and 1984 to read them more thoroughly once again. Thanks for the review ... PS I live about 3 miles from Willingdon! Take care - Hilary
It is such a brilliant and important book. It is so very imaginative too. I read it twice and found it terribly depressing both times. So much so that I probably would not read it again.
Yes, i read it, and i think everyone should. Powerful lessons.
ReplyDeleteIt is a book that should be read. I think I read it in junior year, and was impressed.
DeleteI read "Animal Farm" for the first time in 1963. I should read it again. Around the same time as I read it, I read "1984".
ReplyDeleteTake care, Susan. :)
Great books. It has been decades since I read 1984.
DeleteMy goodness! It's been a long time since I read it. Now I want to read it again. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteIt is a quick read as I remember it.
DeleteI've never read this book and probably won't unless I come across a copy in a secondhand store.
ReplyDeletethere will probably a book on the shelf, lonely.
DeleteI remember it well. Sadly some of it applies in my culture as well.
ReplyDeleteSo true. This book felt right for this time.
DeleteI read it in high school. Not for a class, just for fun, because I wanted to see what it was about. Same thing with "1984." I enjoyed them much more than "The House of the Seven Gables," which WAS assigned reading.
ReplyDeletemy HS teacher did not follow the district's guide lines. She was the 3rd teacher we had that year, and this lady was at the bottom of the available-teacher list. I have never read The House of the Seven Gables.
DeleteI have never read Animal Farm, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
ReplyDeletePerhaps you can find it? Thrift Stores always have a strange collection.
DeleteNow I must look thru the collection of books son Mark brought yesterday. I have never read Animal Farm, but it sure sounds like it was aa great 'novel idea!' Imma check it out. I did enjoy the read and 'Book Report!' Yeah I do remember the term from school, over 70 years go. Wow my girl is getting older.
ReplyDeleteThanks for a good read.
sherry & jack
So many bloggers have read it. I need and will talk with my gr-daughters about it.
DeleteI was assigned Animal Farm in junior high (what middle school was called then) and I remembered how I went to a local bookstore to find it and they had no idea what I was talking about. I did find it, and loved it. Read "1984" not long after. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteI wonder why the book wasn't there. Glad you found it.
DeleteLike several others, I also read Animal Farm in junior high. I also read 1984, which I loved equally. I think these are both quite appropriate for these times.
ReplyDeleteYes, they surely are. The storyline of this book is all too familiar.
DeleteThey teach it at the schools I work at, so I've read it from that. It was never assigned when I was in school (that I recall, although I was familiar with it). It's like The House on Mango Street. I've read the whole thing, but not in order, and via various classes where they were covering various chapters at different times.
ReplyDeleteI will look it up.
DeleteDo HS students read this book and other ones by Orwell?
We read it at school. I saw a cartoon film of it too.
ReplyDeleteGod bless, Susan.
It is a book unusual for its time, 1945. It is called a political satire, which it sure is.
DeleteLike you, I read Animal Farm in high school, followed by 1984. It's sad that most people only know these two books by George Orwell (if at all) since he has been an outstanding writer. His essays are a great read.
ReplyDeleteThey are a good read. Animal Farm was written post WW2 and just as Cold War was starting. Insightful.
DeleteI've never read it but this post makes me want to seek it out! I probably should get around to reading it, especially now.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can.
DeleteHi Susan - thanks for the reminder ... I keep coming across Orwell in many aspects - so must get Animal Farm and 1984 to read them more thoroughly once again. Thanks for the review ... PS I live about 3 miles from Willingdon! Take care - Hilary
ReplyDeleteWow, you are!
DeleteIt's been a long time since I first read it, time to read it again. I liked the video clip. Thanks and have a good day.
ReplyDeleteAnd to you as well.
DeleteI've never read it.
ReplyDeleteWorth reading--give it a chance. it is only 112 pages.
DeleteI'm another one who's never read it.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
It is such a brilliant and important book. It is so very imaginative too. I read it twice and found it terribly depressing both times. So much so that I probably would not read it again.
ReplyDeletesounds like a poignant book dear Susan
ReplyDeletei will try to find it here or online