blog Followers

Wednesday, May 4, 2022

W.Words: Yellowstone Blows Up

 

Jerry had packed a suitcase weeks ago, checked off days on his Hot Babes calendar, and read everything possible about Yellowstone National Park.  This had been his lifelong dream, so much so that he had saved intensely for fifteen years. I can scarcely believe it...Yellowstone! Yellowstone, at last!

Jerry sprinted to catch his Bus, tripped over a case left on the sidewalk by a curvy blonde and fell hard on his knee.  Even though his scrape bled like a son of a gun, Jerry stopped to put his packed suitcase into the belly of the beast.  The case popped open, spraying his clothing onto dripping oil by the bus.  Hot Babes was forever disfigured.

Finally ol' Gray rattled out onto freeway from Burton, Florida, heading straight to Yellowstone.  In 30 minutes or so, ol' Gray wheezed to a stop, and all could see the radiator boiling ,sending steam straight up.

Jerry felt his colon cramp and his stomach become a knotty mass of anxiety.

When ol' Gray returned to bus station, Jerry was nearly crying.  While there had never been any sort of competition between calendar to calendar, Jerry had kept years of Hot Babes calendars, crossing off days after days.  This was the month...the month...


                                                   Extent of possible eruption affects
While this is a blurry map, it does show the extent when the caldera blows.  Bad news for all.

  Ironically, the next day it was announced that the immense caldera beneath Yellowstone Park blew, exploded, blasting apart all states from Canada to Texas, Nevada to Illinois, over to Oregon and down the western coast, and all parts in between. Clouds of ash covered the skies around the world.

It was a royal mess.

Jerry's head hung down despondently.  Gone, it was gone.  As he tacked his new Hot Babes calendar, Jerry pondered where he would go instead.  Iceland?  Iceland would be nice...He crossed off another day, heading toward Iceland in a decade or so.

Oh, Jerry, poor uninformed Jerry.

Stupid tourists with falling boulders from YouTube

The above italicized underlined words are a gift from Wednesday Words back in 2014, which were provided by Elephant's Child.
 
Each week during one month, volunteer bloggers provide a writing challenge by posting 6, 12 words and/or a sentence/photo prompt.  This gives writers a jolt to experience winding those words into a cohesive poem, prose, short-story, whatever genre.

Participants may post their take on these words in comment section, or indicate that your post will be at your site.  This helps readers to find you, which is nice.



26 comments:

  1. Fun - but I am looking forward to seeing what Jerry could do with all the J words in this week's Words for Wednesday. And yes, that is a greedy hint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it and this appeals to my Murhpys Law belief in LIFE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He could've exploded as well. Missed the blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the video. Those boulders look like they are flying out in slow motion but you know there not. I wouldn't want to be standing with those tourists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen Iceland videos where people are standing there taking photos, and then have to run. Idiots.

      Delete
    2. They are candidates for the Darwin Club.

      Delete
  5. Well stated like always regards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jerry sounds like he has my kind of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies



    1. Poor Jerry. I wonder if he has other calendars?

      Delete
  7. Maybe Jerry should have just hitchhiked to Yellowstone instead of trying to save for a trip he never got. Just do it Jerry! Well, I guess I wouldn't thumb a ride in this day and age! Tourist are strange creatures aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well. Maybe Iceland would work out well. Maybe.

      Delete
  8. At least he's safe? This kind of reminds me of a short story I read about California falling into the ocean after a big earthquake. (I believe it was written in the '70s, when that sort of thing was a big fear.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was. The first Superman movie had Lex Luther with plans to push Calif into the ocean, and buy up all the interior.

      Delete
  9. Poor Jerry needs to research his holiday destinations a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, good thing the bus broke down! But yikes poor Jerry..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyone who collect 15 years of Hot Babes calendars should have thought this through.

      Delete
  11. I love your imagination, I just smiled.... Thanks for the entertainment and mental views. You do great word pictures....
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get such joy writing, playing with words. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Iceland doesn't know about air pollution yet. It sure looked nice along the shore line. LOL ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have never been there, and don't think I will either.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!