Gray still sky over
Roiling silver sea,
Soaking gold to slate
Slabs of sand.
Satin rocks, ancient
rocks
Worn and beaten
Smooth by
Merciless waves.
My brother is dying.
Her whispers cast
To deaf waters.
Salt to salt,
Whispered over and
over.
Three speckled rocks
Chosen by grace.
One rock resting
in a noisy room,
Whispering silently
My brother is dying...
One rock for bedside
Where whispers and
tears merged.
One rock more--
At last, gazing at her
Blessed brother, eyes closed,
In steel gray casket.
Tucking a smooth
Ocean stone into icy hand.
My brother has died.
Tears to tears,
Sea to earth,
Cold hand to warm,
Words silenced,
Whispers lie heavy
in the heart.
in the heart.
Dedicated to Robert Peck
January 14, 1951 - May 19, 1997
My brother
The heart never forgets! this is beautiful and a perfect tribute
ReplyDeleteThanks. Hearts hold them.
DeleteSuch a beautiful tribute. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteWriting has always gives me solace.
DeleteBeauty born from pain. Sending a hug. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteSorrow hung heavy when Robert died. Still does.
DeleteWOW touching and how sweet. Such a tribute, smiling down or from the corner of the room, he was be proud!
ReplyDeleteHe was a special person. I think of him almost every day.
DeleteBeautiful. He has never left your heart.
ReplyDeleteHe never will.
DeleteJust, wow.
ReplyDeleteLoss never goes away. It has been about 25 years, but I miss him still. He was born in January 1951, I was born Dec. 1951. We were 10.5 months apart.
DeleteSpecial hugs Susan. Your poem says it all. It's coming up on the first year anniversary of losing my brother Greg. I miss his laugh, his goodness and his love of his family. This brought tears to my eyes but love in my heart for a brother who will never be forgotten.
ReplyDeleteAnniversaries are hardest each year.
DeleteOh Susan, too young to die. This is so beautiful -- and so deeply sad. I'm very sorry for that loss. Anniversaries are hard. I know your heart is filled with memories and I hope you thought of some of the happier ones on this day.
ReplyDeleteHe was 46 yrs. old, I was 45. It was a sad time.
DeleteI am so sorry ... may he rest in peace. Praying for you all.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you and your family.
Thank you. 30 min. before he died, he told Mom that he'll be seeing Jesus that day.
DeleteThis is a nice poem in remembrance of your dear brother. My brother also passed away, and I miss him very much. I didn't know you wrote poetry.....wonderful.
ReplyDelete~Sheri