blog Followers

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Disasters and Dystopia on SyFy

 

Dominion - Title Card.png
Source
Maybe it is just me, maybe it is the fond memories of television at a more innocent time...

Every single time the new round of TV shows appears, I wonder how in the world THIS idea made it through the sorting process and WHO dreamed this up.

The new program in this line-up was “Dominion” on cable SyFy, and it was a winner, according to advertisements. It had been renewed for another season and had a substantial web site, heavily loaded with darkness.

The plot line was that God has disappeared (Oh, come on!  Really?) for some unknown reason, and the Angels were looking for Him.  Understandably, the Archangels Michael and Gabriel were the most upset, as they are the God's angel sons.

And then there was also "Defiance", on SyFy.

The plot line here was that Earth had been all but destroyed by an alien force.  The action setting was in the ruins of The Arch in St. Louis, Missouri.  (which is in itself inexcusable).

The famous Arch teeters, as a symbol of society itself.

I really don't know what else to say. 

I find these are just another dystopia, society-in-ruins shows, joining the ranks of so many other post-apocalyptic messes. 

This all amazes me and dismays me.

Is this what entertainment has become? Yes it is. 

Thankfully, our God reigns. He truly does.  He has not disappeared.
 

Published in 2015, here for repost.
 

16 comments:

  1. I think my earlier comment disappeared. Sadly books/shows/movies like this mimic the news. I do my best to avoid them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At that time a few years ago, the TV programs were big syfy times.

      Delete
  2. There will be an end time, and if what i read in Revelation is right, it's going to be rough, but these shows are nothing like what the reality will be.

    In the end, of course, G-d wins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Afraid I've not heard of the first one. Watched one season of Defiance and gave. It also fell to poor writing. But dystopian settings are not my favorite either. Give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched the first 2 episodes (my husband) and didn't go any further on either.

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I did not like Defiance. I really don't like dystopian. I haven't seen anything good on SyFy in ages. I tried Resident Alien, but I just couldn't get into it. Wynonna Earp was good, but they finaled it. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband loves shows like that. I can't enjoy them and I read or type.

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of any of these but I really don't watch too much TV unless it's HGTV or METV with the old shows like Leave it to Beaver! Looks like I'm not missing much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am fortunate I guess, I haven't watched an average of an hour a year in the past 20 years. It started with my hearing going bad... and the constant commercials.... But I do not miss it.////

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so fed up with the dark side and post apocalyptic stuff I don't bother watching and don't even read the books anymore. None of that Zombie ilk either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby loves that stuff. I cannot wait until the zombie shows are over.

      Delete
  8. I'm leaning more and more towards movies that make me laugh, make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd have to be a bit disappointed in Angel guardians that can't find God... Sounds like some screenwriter has read too many Spawn comics...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!