blog Followers

Saturday, May 11, 2024

Revenge served up close and personal

 


Any person who rhapsodizes about hanging laundry in fresh air to dry has never done so in the Midwest, and for seven people in the family.  I would have gladly invited them to spend a week with me on our farm. Also, they have never had to iron that laundry, a sizable chore for many afternoons. 


Blueberry Bucket
blueberrybucket.tumblr.com


Given that thought, it is important to confirm a few things that are probably a plus.  Hanging and un-hanging was a peaceful time, for no one bothered me.  If they had, they were pressed into service.  Even though it was stinking hot, being alone for awhile was a pleasant change.

One Wednesday as we prepared to attend Wednesday prayer meeting, I was rushing to take down laundry. It was early dusk and was a hurry-up job: remove clothespin, fold item, place in the bushel basket, and move on very quickly.  Once the folded underwear was distributed, my teenage self had to hurry to get ready.

Some time into the service, my teenage brothers began to squirm and cry out.  Then one by one, each leaped to their feet and ran out the church, screaming.

While this pleased me to no end, this event confused me mightily. Whatever their pain was, it was their due since they were each evil masochistic sub-humans. 
Halictus scabiosae MHNT.jpg
Sweat Bee
  
Later, it was discovered that there were sweat bees in their underpants. Yes, those bees with a short-term sting that hurt like the dickens. They are unusual in that they fly around in early dusk and evening. God bless them.  

I was certainly innocent in this, totally innocent. For some reason, the bees had selected their underpants. Why, I don't know. But, my joy knew no bounds.

I fell asleep with a giggle and a smile. Revenge happens when it is least expected.

These sites are blog posts where the evil masochistic brothers made my life a living hell throughout many years.

God bless you, Marvel Comics


The Easter Bunny Cometh

19 comments:

  1. I have not only hung the wash out to dry but also washed it by hand outside in a pila living in Guatemala and Mexico. I have always found it relaxing. But in the US I'm happy to go back to the washer/dryer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom got a washer when I was in HS. The dryer came a year or two later, when I was going to college. So the clothesline still saw some action.

      Delete
  2. And of course the washing/ironing was a female responsibility. Revenge can be a very sweet dish - though I feel for the bees. Rather a lot. Not a nice death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a short life span, so they went nobly doing their job.

      Delete
  3. Oh how I hate sweat bees. They are so small that we ignore then until they have already inflicted pain. And the stings are so sharp and painful. But laundry got me out of other chores for that day. I love doing laundry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with the old days is that the wringer washer and the rinse tubs was major work. Tiring.

      Delete
  4. We used a clothesline forever, mostly for sheets and towels, but in some high winds earlier this year, a branch fell on our deck and took the line right off the side of our house. With all that's been going on, we haven't had the time to replace it. I do miss the fresh smell of sheets having been hung outside, but the dryer will do for now.
    Blessings, Susan, and hope your hand is still on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hand reminds me when I have overworked it. Sorry about the clothesline.

      Delete
  5. I still hang out the washing when the weather is suitable. Nothing better than drying clothes in the fresh air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! Feeling just a teeny bit sorry for your brothers.
    I washed and hung out clothing for six, then ironed and folded, as well as having a full time factory job and never minded at all, though I was happy when the oldest decided to take care of her own washing and ironing and often included other's items in the ironing part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When our children reached teen years, I showed them how to use the washer and dryer. Good move.

      Delete
  7. I love love love this story of sweet revenge.. and as a child I thought I was abused because of having to hang out, take down, and iron all the flat items from sheets, pillow cases, table clothes and handkerchiefs. it was also my job to sprinkle the clothes with a coke bottle and a sprinkle stopper on it, to get them ready for mother to iron the things that mattered... a different life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah the coke bottle! I would sprinkle the clothes, roll them up and put in a bag, then into the freezer. Pulling one out at a time, the ironing marathon could then begin.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad I never encountered bees while I was hanging out the wash or bringing it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lived in a rural environment, so there was a plethora of bugs.

      Delete
  9. What a funny story!! But I can imagine when the weather was nice, hanging up the laundry would have been a peaceful and pleasant time. Minus any flying insects!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!