Monday, November 3, 2014

God bless you, Marvel Comics.


A question was asked about Comic Books recently: Which is/was your favorite comic series?  With all the Marvel Comic movies capturing audiences and making big bucks, that is a good question.

Peter Pan was my hero until I hit age ten.  “Superman” had been a favored television show, which I watched unfailingly.  He almost threw Peter Pan off the throne, until George Reeve’s sudden and questioned death.

Sadly, farewell.

Peter Pan was back in my imagination, until something happened to me at age ten.  I did not know why the change happened (hormones), but Superman was in my head and kicked Peter Pan out.

That might also have something to do with the availability of Comic Books in the Benjamin Franklin 5-and-dime.  Superman was about hand level for me and cost about five cents.  Every first comic in the row had been thumbed to a fare-thee-well, with kid-sized finger prints covering in page.

Although I did not technically get an allowance (on a farm, kids were free labor), my mother did give me a quarter for my own shopping pleasure once a week at the big town fifteen miles from the farm.

At first five cents bought an un-thumbed copy (from the back) of comic book, Superman!!, then it moved up to 10 cents.  That left me enough to buy fifteen cents worth of chocolate at the mid-store candy store, which I finished on the way home.

I successfully hid my stash of Superman comics from my brothers, since they were disrespectful swine who had already destroyed my first five comics.  I had quite a collection hidden away, until I returned from an hour long visit with a neighbor, and found my collection torn and shredded all over the lawn.

My brothers waited for sister-explosion, but none came.  What was, was.


Bastards.

Source

18 comments:

  1. Wow, your brothers were destructive! And mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm...I thought I had pushed publish, and maybe I did, but oh well.

      Since our farm was not close to friends' farms, I was the natural target to my brothers. OH, the hell I endured! But all is well, altho two have passed away but not before we learned how much we cared for each other. But that does not give them a pass.

      Delete
  2. I used to love those old comic books.....a quarter was a rich mans allowance back then...comic books were seven cents, you could get an ice cream cone for 5 cents (single scoop) a small bag of chips was also five cents, there were small and large chocolate bars 5 cents and ten cents respectively, a penny bag of assorted candy could last you for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't that make you feel the thrill of going to that store all over again? I remember Coke and sodas costing a quarter then slowly moving up the price scale.

      Delete
  3. What happened to your comics? It sounds like the perfect storyline for the creation of a new villain, out to avenge her comic-shredding siblings. Maybe a heroine who tapes mischievous brother together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I desired to do more than that, but my heart and soul are forgiving and loving. That doesn't mean I didn't hate them every 15 seconds. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. I loved Archie, Jughead, Betty and Veronica. In our neighborhood, kids would save their $.10 comics until they had a bunch and then would set out a wooden box on the corner and sell their well used comics for $.02 or a nickel apiece. Trading would also go on. We were all little capitalists.

    They are redoing Peter Pan, the play, on TV during the holidays. Mary Martin will always be my Peter Pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when Mary Martin in Peter Pan was broadcast on TV! Oh, we kids sat entranced, and we clapped like crazy!! Good times.

      Delete
  5. I never acquired the comic habit. My brothers sometimes read war comics (not for me). It was books all the way. It is still books all the way. With gems like Calvin and Hobbes thrown in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calvin and Hobbes are Brilliant! Why the artist decided to retire, I don't know.
      My comic book interest dwindled when I first read Little Women and every other Alcott book.

      Delete
  6. I guess I'm speechless.I thought my brothers and I had mean nailed. Are you friends now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is forgiven, altho we resurrect stories when we get together or email. How I miss them.

      Delete
  7. Wow, they'd probably be worth some money now too. How rude! Hopefully you got a little revenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They weren't in mint shape, but were well-cared for. Revenge came in little bits, one at a time.

      Delete
  8. I felt sad for you and you were such a stoic little girl with mean brothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to be stoic, as there was little I could do. My parents let it play out.

      Delete
  9. Bummer on the books getting ruined! Siblings can be a huge blessing...and a huge annoyance. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once we grew up, we were at last friends.

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!