blog Followers

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

WWords: Recipes for succotash and squash

Lately, Julia was regretting that she had married Merle. She had waited patiently, but Merle had denied her last chances of happiness.

Her mother, Clara had spent an quiet unhappy life, but found solace in her garden, raising mainly succotash and squash with cherry tomatoes. Why, is not known. 

At the end of a long day, Julia sobbed in Mom’s kitchen, as Mom chopped the vegetables, adding a carrot for color. “Well, girl. You could use this to settle him down.” She handed over a squash, returning to the succotash.

Julia recognized a solution, a singularly strange one. It would involve Merle, squash, and a battery operated table top circular saw blade. After a quick trip to the Home Depot near Merle’s urban house. Julia knocked at the door. After he opened the door, the carnage began.

 She stood over Merle’s body, clutching the squash. “Here you go, sweetheart. Mom sent this for dinner.” She dropped the squash into his bleeding hand.  “She says to saute’ in garlic butter.” Julia left.

Why Mom grew these S-vegetables was always confusing. Maybe some day she would reveal that to Julia.

Wednesday Words are being provided in February by C. Lee McKenzie, a successful strong writer/author. You must go to her site. She is a good writer, and sends shout-outs for fellow authors. Shattered by C.Lee McKenzie has been well received.

 Here are the Wed. Words for this week:  sweetheart, semi-table, solace, singularly, solution, married, lately, denied, squash, urban 

Wrestle with them and see if you can get them to make sense.  Looking forward to seeing what you find.

 

24 comments:

  1. Shattered is yet another of C.Lee McKenzie's stunning books. She has never, ever disappointed me.
    I am shuddering at your use of her prompts (which is hypocritical of me). I killed the husband in my story last week. Killed him dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did you do it? I'll go read onto your side to see what the poor man suffered.

      Delete
  2. Hi Susan - 'fun' take on the words ... and Shattered, Lee's book, is a great read - with the Olympics going on or not. Oh dear - now I'll be thinking about not buying any S named veggies ... a fun read - though shouldn't be - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are incredibly beautiful writer dear Susan ,i can see how effortless sounds your art of writing wow and the way you wave the story is striking for me hats off to you my friend !
    despite of sad end i enjoyed the story :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My short flash fiction stories like this one are pretty free range.

      Delete
  4. I am smiling but feel sorry for the hubby. I love your imagination (but I will worry for your hubby!) he may be on shaky ground!!!

    LOL

    I always enjoy my visit here, even if it makes me look aslant(?) at my girl now!
    Sherry will be by later.
    Sherry & jack smiling under clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't know what Merle was guilty of doing. Whatever, it must have been bad.

      Enjoying Florida!

      Delete
  5. Well, so sad, too bad for Merle. That being said...isn't succotash a combo of corn and lima beans? Asking for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Succotash is a mixture of all sorts of veg. But I had to do some off the wall things. So maybe Mom makes a radical decision last year.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Given the WW words, this was a leap of creativity. Julia was a truly disturbed woman. I hope Mom survives living with Julia.

      Delete
  7. Quite touching story yet beautifully written, your blog is amazing and a great resource. Kind Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feel like I need to throw come logic (?) in Julia's life. She worked in Home Depot for a few years. That's where she met Merle. Given that, plus a fair degree of insanity, Julia got the job done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, we also need look at succotash. No idea how to answer that one. Any ideas?

      Delete
  9. Merle might not have been the best husband, but there's always divorce instead of murder. Ah, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia and Merle were Catholic. Regardless of the finer points of Catholicism, they were still believers. Julia will go to confession that night. Priest will have to see to Merle.

      Delete
  10. Well, that takes care of Merle and now Julia can move on and maybe find some happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep on writing. What an imagination.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed the notice/forgot the notice. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!