blog Followers

Monday, February 7, 2022

Duck and Cover

In the 50s and 60s, we were hiding under our desks with arms around our heads. Thinking about that hiding event, there was no way to escape the blast. Just had to think we were safe.

 May be an image of 1 person 

 At that time, stores and supply chains were running low on supplies.  Farms had what was needed, canning jars stacked, meat canned, root vegetables stored in the cold.  Farms had cellars and everything might be needed. 

Given the supply chain and preparedness, people in heavy city population would have what?  I'd say to dig out this lab and see what could do with this. 

 Bert the Turle

 Learning about nuclear protection in schools

                             Be careful!                      

 Life was different in the 50s and 60s. This made our lives have a view of the future.

 

This made me feel safe?

 

34 comments:

  1. Not a bad idea. I feel like that many times today when I see certain people in this neighborhood coming down the road. Just thinking with my fingers not my head. ;-)
    Love from a Florida with strange weather../..
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Florida! Has the sun and warm in your neck of the woods?


      Delete
  2. I think the cities would have been hit first, so no need for supplies. We'd all be gone. (That was always my hope. If nuclear war was to happen, I wanted to be taken out in the first wave.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an adult, I realized that whatever landed on different countries, will be disastrous.

      Delete
  3. Just like kids today have "active shooter drills" in US schools. Have things really improved?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr Sheldon Cooper would have loved one of those kits.
    We didn't learn any of the duck and cover here in Australia and I would think it might be more useful when random people are shooting in or at schools over there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the 50s we were rebuilding our cities after the damage of WW2. There was no preparation for an atomic attack amongst the general public. The government would have had plans though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We also had the emergency shelters in the school locker rooms underground. As if everybody would have time to get there, and fit inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lockers would have been the better emergency shelters.

      Delete
  7. my last 2 years of highschool we did the pracitce duck and cover and also practice runs of how to get on the school bus to get home to our parents. none of it made me feel safe for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Duck and cover wouldn't have been much help against a nuclear explosion but it might've helped if there was a tornado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think any place would be safe enough for a tornado.

      Delete
  9. I had to laugh at the last photo and "This made me feel safe?" -- I couldn't agree more. We did Duck and Cover, too. It's interesting watching the film "The Atomic Cafe" now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just checked it out. Now I will have to watch it.

      Delete
  10. That was then, now it's active shooter drills - sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would prefer the bomb. Shootings are too strange to think would happen.

      Delete
  11. The dangers and weapons have changed from outside threats to classmates in these school shootings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting how old threats morph into new threats.

      Delete
  12. Hiding under the desk during earthquake drills was funny. I grew up in California and in order to pass my 8th grade class, I had to have an earthquake go bag that the teacher approved of filled with everything I would need in an emergency. Because everyone there thought we were going to get an 8.0 or higher in the next ten years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a hoot. 8.0 and higher? A go bag makes sense.

      Delete
  13. I seem to recall the only practise drills we had at school was when the fire alarm sounded.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had both. Thing was we teachers were informed ahead of time. So we kept our eyes on the clock.

      Delete
  14. By the time i was in school, these drills were history. There were still signs on the walls stating the basement was an official fallout shelter, and my understanding is they kept supplies down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those drills, are they even still done? Will have to ask my teacher daughter.

      Delete
  15. I remember those drills! After the drills were over they sent us home...walking. I always thought that it was stupid because how was the desk going to save me? And walking home after a bomb couldn't be the best idea! As a few mentioned already, the threats now are kids with weapons...that's scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole rescue efforts were sure inadequate.

      Delete
  16. We didn't even hide under desks for tornadoes... though I'm not sure sitting on a bench in the basement was much safer....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here in CA, we have earthquakes. We duck and cover, and then race outside, collect in classroom circles. I don't know if the desks could be useful.

      Delete
  17. Yep, that desk would have provided great protection from the nuclear blast.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would help if a student could make a tent over the desk?

      Delete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!