Helicopters fly
Gray and Green
Against a gray sky
Whoom-puh, Whoompuh
Blades cut through air
Shake leaves
Rattle glass
People watch from below.
Fly at night
Fly in day
Going where? When?
Today, tomorrow.
Young men, young women
Sons and daughters all
Fly across
A town of People
Whoom-puh, Whoompuh
Beating of their hearts
And
Beating of blades:
Same sound.
This was originally published September 12, 2012
Camp
Pendleton is just 20-30 miles from us. When we lived even closer, we
could hear war maneuvers. Helicopters, munitions, half-tracks on the
beach---means something was about to happen.
So, why is this being posted now?
The only thing missing from the video is rockets being shot at the helicopters.
ReplyDeleteI suspect there will be soon.
DeleteSo terrible. Having lived through the terror of the second 'World War', with bombs dropping around us, the warning sirens wailing at all hours, and now again, caused by one mentally sick individual.
ReplyDeleteTo have gone through such and now to see how it happens again, that is so horrible.
DeleteWe should be more thankful for what we have. It is a pity here in the USA back before those birds flew, WE AMERICANS, did damage to our own homeland. Now it Happens to someone else.... SAD
ReplyDeleteSherry & jack on the move..
Oh, so very sad to see so much happening in such an awful time.
Deleteyou posted it because it speaks to us now of what we see in the video and it fit back in 2012. I lived most of my life with the Whoompuh Whoompuh all day and all night from training excercises of army helicopters. My heart hurts for those in Ukraine
ReplyDeleteThe wait and see will be difficult to experience.
DeleteSo very sad. And infuriating.
ReplyDeleteMy grandparents lived in Oceanside, so I well remember the sounds from Camp Pendleton when I'd go and visit.
Both sad and infuriating.
DeleteIt's so sad. Every day I wake up thinking about it.
ReplyDeleteIt is a time for prayer.
DeleteUntil I read that last line I was going to say that you posted this at the right time with what is going on in the world.
ReplyDeleteWhen I looked for it from 10 years ago, I was not surprised.
DeleteWe have not learned, and so we repeat the lesson, and more people needlessly die.
ReplyDeleteThis all seems unreal. How could it have happened? History tells us how.
DeleteMy heart aches for that country and it's people who will fight to the death to preserve their freedom. This is so sad and upsetting. Praying daily for them and hoping for some kind of peaceful resolution. I can't imagine hearing the planes, helicopters, bombs and gunfire. We are blessed to be here but remember...Russia is only 55mi from our shores in Alaska.
ReplyDeleteAlaska has always been in Russian's eyes. They are everywhere.
DeleteYes, so tragic what is being allowed to happen over there. I'm afraid that the western world is doing too little too late.
ReplyDeleteIt is a wait-and-see moment.
DeleteI ask myself how this is even possible, a war in 21st century Europe. Putin needs a lesson but is the Western world prepared for it?
ReplyDeleteThe whole idea that it would happen.
DeleteVery sad and now very, very scary with Russia readying the nukes.
ReplyDeleteIt is hard to understand how a country like this could ignore the rest of the educated world with its united strengths.
DeleteHi Susan - it's so appalling ... I just couldn't go that route I had to go towards the positivity ... I know there is none now, but there was and I sincerely hope there will be again very soon. Ukraine deserves our support - Hilary
ReplyDeleteWhy Russia would even take a chance of nuclear power is insane.
ReplyDelete