
Red winged blackbird. Always enjoyed seeing
a pond of trees loaded these red wing blackbirds was breathtaking.
There just a few animals as beautiful as a bird. Doesn't matter its genus and species, birds are exquisite creatures. My favorite is and will always be cardinals, ones of all types. But another has impressed me: the crow/raven/blackbird. I had enough difficulty to tell you the differences, which is why I placed the photos below. Also, cut me some slack on interchanging the species in my brain.
The raven and his cousin the black crow are some of the smartest birds there.are. I have watched them, and they are incredible.
One late afternoon, I stood watched this one huge black bird perched on a street light, over a splattered pile of bird poo below. He turned his head to one side to the other, eyes never breaking away from me.
He kept watching me, and then began to send messages to his horde of crows densely settled in a huge eucalyptus. He (Bill as I named him) talked back to them, and then Bill resumed his watch, eyes checking one side to another. I stepped out my door, and Bill began his singing to the Murder of crows 1 mile away. They sang back.
Incredible birds. They bond and maintain a life long relationship with a mate in his Conspiracy of his crew up in the trees. In fact, the crew bonds with each other. Bill did not like me at my door, so Bill sang a raucous song, glaring at me. The songs went back and forth. Bill got tired of me invading his territory, so he winged it over to the roof across the street.
Enough. Exam the photos below. See what they are.
Tower of London employee rescued "tame" ravens
Is raising them and hoping that they will see this as their home, not
needing wings cut back
![]() |
Being "mobbed" usually results in the hunted owl being driven away
.
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
One of my favorite bloggers is David Gascoigne in Travels with Birds from Waterloo, Canada. He discovers some incredible birds, enjoys walk-about with fellow birders. He has recommended bird books, with info and crazily beautiful feathered creatures of the sky. David often brings a delightful little girl, birder in training. Lucky little birder!

I am smiling. For 3 years I attended a mountain school. WE had two mascots. An old St. Bernard hung around and What we considered a giant Black bird. Both were names, but the names escape me now. The little school experienced a lot of thefts one year. No one could solve the problem. Mountain kids DID NOT STEAL! Then high on a light post on the school grounds an electrician solved the problem. Pens, rings, change all in the black bird's nest. He was allowed in rooms, the gym etc, sneaky guy no one knew he was the thief.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the read, interesting the differences. I used to love Crosby Still and Nash when I could hear.
From Florida, we are ful of birds, ducks and geese.. YES there are some BEAUTIES...
Sherry & jack
They are unrepentant thieves, aren't they. I love how you told about your mountain kids. Crosby Stills and Nash have the most incredible harmonies.
DeleteHello Susan: Kudos to you for covering these highly intelligent birds and thank you very much indeed for linking to my blog. It is greatly appreciated. With my best wishes, David.
ReplyDeleteStop by anytime! I hope readers head over to your site. They need to see a close encounter and its beauty.
DeleteWe used to have loads of crows around here. Then the West Nile virus came and the crows were gone. I see a few now and then but not many.
ReplyDeleteAlong the Mississippi the crows love fields along by it. Wonder where the crows went? Maybe the crows moved south for winter.
DeleteThere's a great reddit post about a guy befriending a flock of crows that was making the rounds a couple years back. But my favorite is: http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35hla2
ReplyDeleteDid not know that. That must have been a sight.
DeleteThere are black birds around here, i believe crows, and at my parents' home there are a few that i speak to each time i go. When they see me and start to call, i speak back to them, telling them good morning in a cheery voice. They call, and then they fly away, and i wish i knew what they were saying to each other.
ReplyDeleteThis would be a writing opportunity. hmmmm
DeleteI have crows near me and talk to them when I hear or see them, but they no longer come to my lawn for mealworms, nor to my water dish where they used to drink and bathe.
ReplyDeleteThe birds are just now reappearing here. They are such intelligent birds.
DeleteCrows are not as much loved in Wichita as they are elsewhere. I DO welcome them in my yard and garden, though. Thanks for pointing out how intelligent they are.
ReplyDeleteI get the don't-bother-me look they can give is a little intimidating.
DeleteEven the little blackbirds get a kick running our hawks around.
ReplyDeleteBlack birds do not like to have any big birds like hawks.
DeleteAmazing creatures. We live in a top floor flat and are lucky enough to have a line of trees across the car park and a green open site with a stream behind the site. Each day there are a couple of sparrow hawks hunting above the trees, amazing to watch them.
ReplyDeleteHawks are such athletic birds. I love to so one dive and grab prey.
DeleteI too love birds and watch hem from my kitchen window as they squabble around the feeders. You can learn so much from them: patience and impatience, perseverance, aggression and submission and much more.
ReplyDeleteI have a whole rookery in a mighty ancient beech tree, noisy but fun.
I bet they sing loud songs.
DeleteThis is a wonderful post, Susan. That opening shot of the blackbird was fabulous - I view them as the first sign of spring at the ditch. Once I saw one attack a heron, who might have been too close to a nest. It was fascinating to watch! This is really interesting and I loved the music, too!
ReplyDeleteCosby Stills and Nash have great harmonies.
DeleteI enjoy birds also. I like seeing them in my yard or at the feeder. When I see a red winged black bird I know Spring is here! Years ago we had one come to our dogwood daily and I named him Sam. Now any of them I see I say "Hi Sam!". My sister won't allow birds in the house..not in pictures, or statues, or anything. She says they bring bad luck. Hmmmm
ReplyDeleteThey are such beautiful birds. Generation of Sams must be flying around.
Delete