![]() |
| Satellite view of Ireland |
From
the first slip jig of the day to the last reel at the end, one fact was
abundantly clear: every competitor in
this Irish Dance Feis (Fesh) was still a kid.
Oh,
each one gave their best to stand tall and be mature.
Their
toe points were perfect. The arms were
straight. Knees straight on the
kicks. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7, Hop 2 3, Hop 2 3,
Back you go 4 5 6 7, Hop 2 3 and Hop 2 3.
Wigs
are now required as dancers move up the ranks—curly crazy wigs that bounce to
accentuate the dance. The dance schools
each have their own school color and design.
It can be blue with red pleats, the Celtic designs in bold embroidery,
white with orange pleats, or any of many variations. The shoes are either soft shoe or hard
shoe. The white socks are held in place
up to the calf with sock glue.
This
is a long way from the surge of Irish dance of Riverdance fame.
For an article that compares the past to the present click here. You will see the before and after photos of Irish dancing!
Many
words could be written about how something simple and pure morphs into a huge
business in the world of dance with rules and regulations, expense (one “worn
only twice” solo dress was for sale: $1,200) and dedication. They won’t be written here.
![]() |
| source |
![]() |
| source |
They
stand before the wall with the results numbers.
There is both joy and disappointment.
One little girl (in the beginners 1, under 8 yrs. competitions) searched
for the scores for her dances. There she
was: a 3rd place, another 3rd
place, oh and a 2nd place.
Oh, Mommy, there I am! I got a 1st
place!!
That
little face lifted to her mother, those sparkling eyes, and a huge smile say
that the dancers are still kids-- kids
who want a hug and then go to get some ice cream, and maybe a movie.



In the neighborhood that I grew up in New York, Irish dancing was done by many of the girls I knew. Oh, how I wanted to learn. I remember watching them carefully and copying the steps. I used to have shows with my siblings for my parents featuring my own made up Irish Jig.
ReplyDeleteDamn they are good. Sad how it does get so out of control and they can't just be kids enjoying themselves until it's over.
ReplyDeleteIt's good exercise for them and teaches them how to be competitive and good sports. I can't say it encourages creativity since the movements leave no room for expression. Dance should be joyous and spontaneous.....I hope the adults don't ruin it for them.
ReplyDeleterobyn has done a little of this kind of dance--loved this!!!
ReplyDeleteUnrelated to post, i will pray foryour son in JCNJ.
ReplyDeleteI wish they could all win! (Yes, I'm that mom...unless my child is the one who won. Ha!). They are so talented so very young, and fun to watch!
ReplyDeleteI really admire how much work and precision goes into this. The costumes are beautiful too. Julie
ReplyDeleteLovely post, Susan!
ReplyDeleteI also hope that those very skilled dancers can be children - first and foremost. I really hope that the only reason for continuing to dance is that they love it, and it is purely and simply, fun. And fun is something I think we all lose too soon.
ReplyDeleteDear Susan, thanks for this information and for the links. So much work. So much precision. And like all contests, so much waiting anxiously for results. I so enjoyed this posting. Peace.
ReplyDeleteI love how you presented the contrast between the performer and the more mundane.
ReplyDeleteHi Susan,
ReplyDeleteAnd it seems like only yesterday that Michael Flatley and his ensemble were all the rage with that form of Irish dancing.
Just want to think that the children enjoy the dancing and in my eyes, they are all winners. Ice cream and movies awaits them :)