

The teachers shivered as they watched the recess horde which never ever ended. It’s death or life, lies or truth. It's them or us. Their eyes glazed around the mob, knowing that some opportunity could lead to havoc.
Like the crack of a jump rope, a type of sizzling chemistry suddenly burst around them, exploding loose. Screw philosophy and fact. Forget about instruction, all the facts from teacher education. Clothes? Who needs them when all hell breaks loose?
Somewhere,
there is an agency, somewhere that will set the playground in order. Over
near the swings there would be a huddled group of people, clutching boxes of books,
reading as if their lives depending on it. The agency will know how to help
them all. Soon.
I wouldn’t
count on help coming anytime soon
I am well versed in recess duty. There is no joy in that place. In fact it is hell.
The colored words are a Wednesday Word collection from ages ago, 2019.. Recess memories still remain.
Recess duty can be difficult, you always have the bullies to deal with.
ReplyDeleteThe meanest kids used the playground for hunting.
DeleteRecess duty was hell? You must have had far more kids than was in our school. Was there only one teacher on duty? We always had three, one by the sports equipment and ovals, one by the general playground equipment and one over by the kindergarten play yard for the kids up to grade two.
ReplyDeleteI always got duty near the bathrooms.
DeleteWatching kids run around like maniacs? Sounds like hell!
ReplyDeleteOh, yes. It could be.
DeleteAnd I thought it was all fun!!! ;-)
ReplyDeleteI am guessing that you were one of the rampant ones.
DeleteOnce again, a very clever use of those words, Susan. So glad I'm retired from teaching! LOL!
ReplyDeleteTeaching was one of the greatest experiences I had.
DeleteLooking at recess from the eyes of a student it was a fun time to stop studying and being able to stretch the legs. I would go back to class refreshed and ready to learn.
ReplyDeleteI can picture it.
DeleteThank you so much for sharing this, Susan. I am 68 and retired, and I guess I should be thankful that I was never a teacher or school monitor!
ReplyDeleteDang. You didn't get that joy!
DeleteThis brought back memories! Working in surgery we had our fair share of broken bones from monkey bars. I don't think they have those anymore. I can remember being sent to the principals office for fighting on the playground. I accidentally gave my best friend a black eye. It was meant for a pesky boy. Sorry Deb.
ReplyDeleteHe probably remembers it well.
DeleteOne of the many reasons I stick to the secondary grades.
ReplyDeleteFor me, 2ndary school teaching scares the daylights outta me.
Deleteha ha! you captured the havoc and sheer terror. Then again, I think the most dangerous playground equipment has been banned. Everything is soft sponge ground. No asphalt for our delicate kids these days. Teachers still have glazed eyes while on duty.
ReplyDeleteglazed eyes is a great description. Numb also works well.
DeleteThe pictures you've used here are good so too are your words.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
The B/W photo is so accurate. I can still hear the noise.
DeleteI love the pictures of a bygone era! I can remember some recesses as a kid..and some in the snow. When I was a teacher we didn't have to deal with snow, I can't imagine how trying it was for my teachers!
ReplyDeleteIn Illinois, winters meant playing in the gym.
DeleteI only knew recess from a child's perspective as I've never worked in education. I loved those photos, wherever you found them. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteSeeing these photos brought back those sounds.
Delete