Great Aunt Evangeline always visited on my birthday, as
regular as calendar and clock. Auntie E was full of so many things, most of them really irritating. Adages?
She had them. Shameless bragging?
Overload there. A hoard of wisdom? Good there, too.
Auntie E was a bland
plain woman, with legs like stems. So utterly huge to the point of bursting,
her size dominated any room.
A successful business woman, she owned her own brokerage, always possessing great insight on sales and trends.
And, believe it or not, that
lady had a great golf swing.
Yet, for all the things I hated about her, I loved her
for them. In so many ways, Auntie E was a vessel
of kindness to all she knew. While I possessed just a vestige of humanity, Auntie E loved and was loved, cared and
was cared for, gave and then was given.
I was none of those things. Still am. Yet, I will continue trying.
This is a re-post from 2019 of Wed. Words, a writing challenge that invites writers to try different genres.

I liked reading about your Auntie E, she sounds like a force of nature.
ReplyDeleteMy own Auntie E was named Minerva, and she was a hoot.
DeleteNone of my aunts were like this one. 2 I could not stand to be around, 2 were good and nice, and my favorite Aunt Helen was wonderful, a 2nd mom to me, she lived next door and she and my mother were close to perfect. so different that I am... I wish I had their qualities.
ReplyDeleteYou have your own qualities. You are the relative that people will remember in decades. I had an Aunt Helen; she was an interesting aunt.
DeleteAuntie E is a person everyone should have in their lives.
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely.
DeleteWritten like a school teacher.... LOL Enjoyed the read lady. BE good out there on the last coast...
ReplyDeleteGlad you enjoyed it. I am always on the good side, Jack.
DeleteAunt E. is a fascinating character, Susan. Love your creativity!
ReplyDeleteMy own Aunt E was Minerva and she was delightful.
DeleteRemarkable people usually have two sides to their personalities. It is wise to look for both.
ReplyDeletewell said.
DeleteI think I'd have liked her better than the aunts I did have.
ReplyDeleteAunt E would be far more entertaining.
DeleteA memorable character.
ReplyDeleteEvery family has one aunt like this.
DeleteI love doing word challenge posts. Are Wed. Words still a thing?! Fun response to read, BTW!
ReplyDeleteIf you exclude business aunt E sounds more like my dear late mom 🥹♥️🥰
ReplyDeleteLovely story 👌