blog Followers

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Lard for Life

 

                                                                                    Retro   
My farmer father with my brothers worked incredible hours to "put food on the table". Mom raised an immense garden to can and freeze. We ate well and were richly provided with food.  

So looking at the LARD and its happy people made me giggle. When a hog was taken to slaughter and butcher, we had tidily wrapped frozen good stuff in the freezer, and, as an added present, we had a new fresh 5 gallon tin of white lard.

The female ancestors of my family knew how to bake pies, oh boy, using lard for the crust. BEST CRUST ever. Fried chicken could not be more crispy and delicious except when fried in LARD. 

                                                            My mother would be horrified.

                                                               Gotta have it

                                                                                                                                         




So many stories about lard can be told, not all pleasant.
 
The journey continues with my hand. See the Dr. tomorrow. Please leave messages...your words are a bright spot in my day.

9 comments:

  1. We had TV dinners all the time. My mother was a nurse that worked the evening shift so my Dad would buy them for us. I carry on the tradition with Marie Callenders in the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time I was about, mom used Crisco pretty consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our family also used "Digestible, all vegetable Crisco."

    My Sweetie decries the lack of lard in his life. He says the best donuts ever were from a company in the town where he grew up. When they opened a franchise here, i bought him some. He took one sniff, said, "They don't cook them in lard any more," and wouldn't have anything to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must agree that lard makes things better. Popcorn popped in lard was whiter and had a better flavor. Butter was not needed. I still use lard when making pie crust. It's lighter and flakier. All of the things mentioned before me are true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh how well I remember Hog Killing time. Even though my dad was a pastor, he was first a farmer. He raised a hog every year and hog killing was a party for us kids. Usually 2-3 neighbors joined and the work was divided. once the hog was shaved and laid out, each family did the work. Mama made sausage at that time. The lard was rendered and over the next week she made soap with some of it and stored the rest..
    Yes we ate good. My sister and I who were still at home never liked the cured ham, so mama always saved some fresh ham just for us.
    Good post.
    Sherry & jack smiling and ready for the road tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of the wonders of lard. Never tried it. It's amazing how tastes and what's "healthy" changes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember eating by the TV, but we never had TV Dinners, we just had plates filled with whatever had been cooked in the kitchen. I remember my Dad and Sister eating bread with lard and sprinkled with salt ( saltz and schmaltz) which I never liked, but years later working on a sheep station I used lard every day for cooking the sausages, chops and eggs for the breakfasts, then for making the rock cakes for the morning and afternoon "smokos". I haven't cooked with lard at all since leaving that job, though Mum had it in her kitchen for the morning eggs fry-up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mother cooked everything we ate with lard in it, from green beans to pie crust. Daddy grew the garden, I picked the produce, and helped shell/snap beans/peas, shucked corn, sliced corn off the cob, mother canned it all and when she cooked the canned food always used lard. we never had anything but food she cooked. we were dirt poor and never had anything from the stores or resturants . not even ice cream. we did get a nickle ice cream once in a while from the little grocery store. the only things without lard had bacon grease from bacon, which was kept in a tiny silver can, with a thing inside with holes in it. she fried bacon almost every day of our lives and poured it off into the can. she also creamed veggies to stretch them, using lard and flour and milk/water to make the white sauce. even garden peas...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope the doctor has good news.
    I can safely say lard has never entered my household.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!