blog Followers

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Gift given

Large Vintage Ultramarine Blue & Turquoise Brutalist Ceramic image 1 
Great Aunt Evangeline always visited on my birthday, as regular as calendar and clock. Auntie E was full of so many things, most of them really irritating.  Adages? She had them. Shameless bragging? Overload there. A hoard of wisdom?  Good there, too.

Auntie E was a bland plain woman, with legs like stems. So utterly huge to the point of bursting, her size dominated any room. A successful business woman, she owned her own brokerage, always possessing great insight on sales and trends. And, believe it or not, that lady had a great golf swing

Yet, for all the things I hated about her, I loved her for them. In so many ways, Auntie E was a vessel of kindness to all she knew. While I possessed just a vestige of humanity, Auntie E loved and was loved, cared and was cared for, gave and then was given. 


I was none of those things. Still am. Yet, I will continue trying.

The smallest act of kindness...
source

 



This is a re-post from 2018.  My rt. hand has a few weeks before P/T and I am avoiding abusing it. Please leave comments! You have no idea how much I enjoy them.

 

10 comments:

  1. I think that many of us have relatives like that. We love them and loathe them. And will miss them forever.
    I hope your hand is healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, don't do anything to jeopardize that hand now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your originality as always. Love how you kick out a story, I know kids loved it when you decided to 'tell a story.' over the years.
    thinking of you and praying that the hand will work like new one day.
    Sherry& jack in Florida

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have described the phyical look of my grandmother, her 4 sisters, my mother and her sister and myself. sticks for legs, and apple shaped over weight from neck to butt. no butt, flat with all the front huge. all of us same genetics. maybe we were distant kin to your aunt. my mother was like your aunt, her sister, my grandmother and ME are opposite, just like you describe yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a picture of your Aunt Evangeline in my mind. She looks like so many of the 'church ladies' I knew as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I could see this character in my mind's eye, Susan - your description is great!
    Prayers for continued healing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story. I hope your hand is healing up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So often we don't see people for what they really were until it's too late...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a dear Aunt Gwen that was also my Godmother. That might have been why we connected so well! She gave me many gifts over the years such as a love of poetry, The Nutcracker, time spent in her garden of beautiful flowers and time spent on her front porch eating watermelon and apples..hers with salt, mine plain! She and my Uncle lived across the street from us and when I would tromp on home she always said: "Don't forget to look both ways!" Every time I cross a street I still hear her voice with that warning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we all have an aunt in our lives, whether by blood or sheer friendship, who is formidable. And glad your hand is coming along. I'm sure it's been frustrating. Keep doing the right exercises and hopefully whatever you are creating in your head, your hand will be able to write down soon to catch up.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!