During
a blistering summer day in Victorville, California, a white convertible
eased up to the gas pump. Not just any white convertible, this was a
1960s long lean Cadillac convertible, with white leather interior and
red trim.
A lean tanned young man leaned out and swaggered to the gas station interior. He was Steve McQueen cool, and he knew it.
The
white blonde woman stepped out the passenger side, swinging white
leather boots onto the oil stained pavement. She stretched a long cat
stretch. Every inch of her white leather pants clung to her, white film
on lean legs. The silver studs on the white leather jacket glinted
sun, crying out defiantly, “Money! I got loads of it!”
She shook her long white blonde hair out, combing through it with flame red finger nails and ringed fingers.
The young man jogged out and kissed her. “This’ll just take a minute, Baby. Then we’ll be on our way to ‘Vegas.”
The white blonde woman turned and got back in the car. For just a moment, just long enough, her face was fully visible.
An
old face, brown with too much sun, and pursed with lines. Heavy rouge,
heavy lipstick, heavy black long eyelashes, heavy makeup--all were
creased into the lines of a face that had been to ‘Vegas many times.
The white convertible pulled back onto the I-15. Her hand caressed the back of his neck.
This is a repost from 2014. We lived in Victorville, California for many years, and it was a place to get gas. The long hot desert miles lay ahead. This was something I observed while I was getting gas, too.



She should've packed some sun block!
ReplyDelete
DeleteThey will think about it at the next trip to the dermatologist.
I think it might be too late for the dermatologist.
DeleteOnce when I was on vacation in Virginia Beach I was sitting with my companions on the beach. Two older women came and put their blankets near ours. They had obviously been sun worshippers for many years. I burn easily so I had already slathered myself with the strongest sunblock I could find. It was apparent that My skin was very very very pale. One of the older women looked at me and said, "Honny you are going to get soooooooooo burnt." I smiled and thanked her.
ReplyDeleteI am a pale person who burns too. That was such a tender remark.
DeleteVal is right. Very right.
ReplyDeleteMaybe it was the time period.
DeleteAwesome. So true.
ReplyDeleteLove the descriptiveness of this short reflection, Susan! I'm a pale skinned individual, too, and have worn my fair share of sunscreen.
ReplyDeleteBlessings!
I got a terrible burn on the tops of my feet. I was pg and misery was not appreciated.
DeleteI really like the way you described that! You wrote it so well! I was able to visualize everything you wrote about.
ReplyDeleteAnd I must add, that is an amazing looking vehicle! I prefer the older vehicles more than the modern ones they have these days.
God Bless!
Thanks. I love that car! Looking forward to our next vintage car show!
DeleteLeather pants in Victorville? Yikes. I don't even want to think about how hot those things were.
ReplyDeletePlus, they were heading over the long hot stretch to 'Vegas. Maybe they can pull over the top and run the a/c. In summer, it was always above 100 during the day. Night, the temp plummeted to love 90s.
DeleteI started to be consistent with skin care when I was still in the 30s. Have used (Oil of) Olay since then.
ReplyDeleteI don't like that car. There are a couple of American cars here in Adelaide, owned by a man who runs a service for weddings etc and they look nicer, not so long or flashy.
ReplyDeleteI don't have pale skin and tan easily enough, but since age thirty five I wear sunscreen if I'm going to be in the sun more than a few minutes. As I child I practically lived on the beach and tanned as brown as some of the aboriginals living in my town. We have to call them Indigenous People these days.
A big flashy car was a teenager's dream, I think. "I have arrived!"
Deletethe car looks bit weird to me as is much long .
ReplyDeletei admire your amazing observation which makes me feel as i was there to witness this :)
blessings
In the 50s and 60s, these ships were normal. They were flashy.
DeleteYou know that car is a gas guzzler. :)
ReplyDeleteThis was back in the 70s.was 54 cents/gallon. Unbelievable.
DeleteI have known a few "instant tan" sun worshippers. I'm told one 'looks terrible' now. Another died years back from skin cancer.
ReplyDelete