blog Followers

Sunday, April 23, 2023

Miss Marple: Agatha Christie

 

Miss Marple - miss-marple Photo
Source
 
Disappointment is a painful burden, especially when there was a great expectation.  Any fan of mysteries can understand this sentiment.

I remember the Agatha Christie books and how my white-haired grandmother would devour them.  Devour them!  Then those books came to me, and I became a Christie fan.

14 seconds  "Nemesis"


In 1985 or so, BBC released the Agatha Christie Mysteries starring Joan Hickson.  She was an amazing Miss Marple, perfect to the letter.  T
 
The excellent filming, charming settings screamed “England!  Right here!”, as well as the accuracy of clothing and times presented all the engaging drama one has come to expect from BBC mysteries. Agatha Christie advised Joan Hickson long before she was given the part, that Christie saw her as the next Miss Marple.
 

Dame Margaret Rutherford had a different take on Miss Marple.
 

19 seconds "Miss Marple meeting Hercule Poirot



Disappointment, indeed.  Agatha Christie would have wept.


 
Note: Sadly, American murder/drama/police dramas have gone down a dark, predictable road. Why?




22 comments:

  1. "American murder/drama/police dramas..." Ratings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We now have these shows on a time line. Killer will be the most noted of actors. At 20 minutes, murder has happened, at 52 minutes, murderer is revealed. Then it's all wrap-up. Oh, don't forget "He's doing a runner."

      Delete
  2. I much preferred the Miss Marple mysteries to the Hercule Poirot ones. And have never seen either on screen. I doubt I will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, only on TV. "Midsomer murders" is on regular channels. We are enjoying "New Tricks" about 3 male retired detectives and the superior detective is the leader of "USCO". Worthwhile to watch.

      Delete
  3. I saw many of those. She did great as the lead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother loved Agatha Christe books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since reading Christie's books, I head toward the mystery aisle.

      Delete
  5. I did not know there had been an earlier Miss Marple. I haven't read any Agatha Christie, but I have seen a couple of movies and much prefer the Miss Marple ones over the Hercule Poirot ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not either. Once Joan Hickson was Miss Marple, I checked up on Margaret Rutherford. HIckson is the primo Miss Marple.

      Delete
  6. I was never a good mystery reader because I like to read the last page of a novel...bad me I know! However I do watch Dateline so maybe it's time to read some good mystery novels and since I've never read Agatha Christie...bad me again...I think it's time to get reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a quick read. Written in the 30s, language was simpler. Give her a chance.

      Delete
  7. Miss Marple, my wife loves her especially Joan Hickson.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I like Miss Marple more than Poirot. She's rather charming. And Midsomer Murders is a favorite. I saw you are watching New Tricks -- that's a favorite of mine, too! Love Brit mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to love perusing all thr agatha Christie's at this department store my mom took me too as a kid- they had a books section. One of my earliest book memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her books are easy reading, just hard to ponder out the villain.

      Delete
  10. My only real interest in mysteries was wrapped around some Nancy Drew stories I got from some club a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy Drew ! I loved those, Hardy brothers, Cherry Ames nurse...

      Delete
  11. I'll have to check out the 1985 version.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i never forgot Agatha and she was first to make me realize that murder mysteries appeal me more :)
    i was fascinated by her charm and confidence and how she would go through everything odd while solving the mystery .
    thanks for freshen up the memories :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!