blog Followers

Thursday, August 11, 2022

August, Abandonment

 caves | heritagelandscapecreativity

Mind gone dry,
Mined too many times.

Rocks crumble
From inside the hill.

Nothing left to pick 
With a broken tool.

Wind echoes
Through empty caverns,

Taking wisps of ideas
Leaving dry husks

In which

Only a throbbing sound
Is heard.

Abandoned.


Old mine ruin: Taken in August 2009, Nevada, USA.
Source: Izabelha

 

19 comments:

  1. There's always a sadness about old abandoned mines. No longer useful, no longer visited and not filled in either. Why do they not get filled in I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out farm houses make me so sad. What was a home, became a pile of rubble. Sad.

      Delete
  2. Ouch. Abandoned mines (literal and figurative) can be dangerous places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Places of old mines (like Julian) are dangerous.

      Delete
  3. Out west, the land is littered with them. Kind of cool to see though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the photo has a sense of melancholy and your poem is perfect with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many abandoned building all across the country.

      Delete
  5. I feel the same way you do about old farm buildings left to rot. They break my heart yet hold a certain beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our barn was built in the mid 1800s. It had to be taken down when as it was blowing in the wind. Had so much fun.

      Delete
  6. Anything left and neglected is sad to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those old barns, houses, all empty. It makes me so sad.

      Delete
  7. This is kind of how I feel on Friday nights... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty draining. When Friday finally rolled around, my students ran out of the classroom. So did I.

      Delete
  8. I like the way you started this with "mind" and not "mine". Not only puts you IN the mine, but AS the mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not everyone appreciates finer details. I write short stories, forces me to chose perfect word.

      Delete
  9. You should visit sometime. Oh, the discussions that could be told.

    ReplyDelete
  10. sometimes i feel nothing is "abandoned" once humans leave it behind many other species take over it quickly ,can't say about spirits but so many kinds of little fellows (insects) billions and billions unseen fellows (germs ) am i right :)
    loved the beautiful poetry dear Susan !
    blessings

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!