blog Followers

Sunday, August 28, 2022

Dinosaur vs. three year old.

See the source image 

"Sue" in Field Museum Chicago 

From early excavations of large bones in England by Rev. Wm. Buckland and Dr. Gideon Mantell, begun in 1820s, to contemporary discoveries world-wide, dinosaurs have remained a fascination for people then and now.  My family are among those who gaze at gloriously articulated dinosaurs at museums in absolute awe.

When "Jurassic Park" was released in the early 1990s, dinosaur-obsessed people were ecstatic.  When #2 sequel came along? Not so much.  #3 was better. Then there was "Jurassic World" which we have watched three times, and are up to another viewing.

Real joy is now seen in our 4 yr. grandson, Benjamin.  His collection of accurate dinosaurs is enviable, and he KNOWS scientific nomenclature.

In Bern, Switzerland, our daughter and family reside, life-sized dinosaurs have been relocated from a remodeled museum to family parks throughout the city.

Amazement and joy shown below:

Is this real?


It's bigger than ...

It's pooping on me, Mummy!

A good day to be parents

Joy captured.

Other dinosaurs are scattered through the city in neighborhood parks.  I can only assume that dinosaur hunting will be another day trip for Benjamin (and his parents.)


Benjamin "getting down" with my own personal collection of vegan dinosaurs His dinosaurs are realistic. Boring, if you ask me.

17 comments:

  1. I know a little boy who'd enjoy that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish this little boy were here. We have kept my vegans here , in case other grandchildren visit.

      Delete
  2. I really do enjoy hearing of kids with obviously different interests, I also applaud an area that will move some things from the museum to high profile areas. NICE!
    Take care.. Love from NC
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Too many amazing museums have all the other "Sue" not open for playing. It must have been exciting to see that guy chasing down the 'dinos'.

      Delete
  3. Ah yes, I remember knitting dinosaur sweaters for the dinosaur obsessed nephew. He's now 16 and the section leader of his drumline. How time flies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing! I would love to see that. That takes dedication. His Aunt surely took care of him.

      Delete
  4. Those creatures are mind-boggling, and learning more about them will keep people busy for generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And more becomes available as science reveals more. With the first "Jurassic Park", the whole size of these became real.

      Delete
  5. All of my family were obsessed with dinosaurs from age two to about five, then they went to school. I think dinosaurs are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son is now 44, and I think he still has his dinos. We bought them back 1984 at the Natural History Museum in London. He carried them around on the trip, wanted to make sure that they got home.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hard to believe that a 4 yr. old is running under the Dino.

      Delete
  7. My second grandson was obsessed with dinosaurs when he was small. He also had an impressive collection of them. Once he gave a talk about them for show and tell. His teacher was so impressed by his knowledge that she had him speak to another teacher's class the next day. For several years he taught several classes a year about his dinos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a boy. He followed his passion and shared it with others.

      Delete
  8. Dinosaurs are such fun :)
    Fantastic photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Growing up in Chicago I visited that museum many times and was always in awe of the giants!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!