blog Followers

Tuesday, August 30, 2022

N is for Nebo, Illinois

 

Hebo High School, 1917?

The irony of Nebo, Illinois, is that while I lived there, I could not wait to leave it.  Now I think about those days, get a wallop of nostalgia, and wish I knew more about the place left behind.


It began as a true log cabin town, growing with each new settler with names of Shaw, Ross, Franklin, and many more.  With each new family the settlement became a township.

  When I returned for visits over the years, the town had shrunk just a little bit more and the people I knew had died. Their children left (just as I had), and then there were empty vandalized houses, and people I don’t know.

                            Basically this ghost town could never compare to its former self.

Here are photos of back then :
Baptist Church, which still looks like this. 

Peck house on Pearl-Nebo road
C.R. Rodgers' Trans Continental trip for
to promote Vin Fizz soda
  

 The community flooded to the events like this. Life was personal at this time of Nebo's existence.


Painted by in-mate at nearby prison

Nebo High School Gym--all that remains
of the High School

Country School Students









Another Nebo, in Wales, 1984 



Mt. Nebo, where Moses is buried



10 comments:

  1. My township of Boston is much the same. Derived name and fading past, and still dear to my heart. Who is attached to the Nebo, Wales sign; you or a daughter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father's side came from the Nebo area. Mom's side came from Missouri, and her side was darn interesting. Dad's side had some people. Wales, came from Mom's side. Grandpa has some sort of claim to the Prince of Wales. mmmmm

      Delete
  2. You don't realize "those were the days" until they are over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true. I really think about those days.

      Delete
  3. I grew up in a small country town, with no thoughts of ever leaving, but once I did, I never ever thought of going back. No nostalgic thought there for me. I have visited since, my sister lives there still, but I have no wish to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nostalgia meant that our parents were gone. One brother lives about 90 miles, a sister lives in Columbus, OH, and then there is me, 2800 miles. I miss them so.

      Delete
  4. The longest I ever lived in one town was 4 years. I loved several of them but there is really no lasting connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We moved to a few other homes, too. Some good, some not.

      Delete
  5. It's sad to see these towns dying. I wasn't fond of my home town either, but when I go back, it's growing. (I consider Anaheim my home town. You might have heard of it.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet, and LOVE the old photos..
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!