Some of my family stories are true to the letter, while others
have been stretched yet maintain that kernel that started it in the first
place. The following was told to me by
my brother, as his son had told him. My brother Don is a prolific talented story teller, but he insisted that this is true.
Late fall was coming on, with blast of premature snow. Nathan Peck was a Chicago city engineer who
worked with all departments. Nathan has a gift, one of many. He makes friends, tells awesome stories, and
plays the most unimaginable practical jokes on any vulnerable person.
The saran wrap across the toilet seat? Amateurs.
Change out the black and white keys of the keyboard? Smirk.
Collecting all the chairs from the waiting room and stacking
them in the CEO’s office? Hmph.
In one freezing November in Chicago, Nathan received a call
from one of the field workers who reported something that caused Nathan to race
out the office and squeal out the parking lot.
When he arrived, the guys pointed to the frozen specimen of a five-foot
alligator, sticking out a drainage pipe. They wrapped orange cord under and around
the frozen carnivore, and it took all eight men to dislodge the swamp dweller
from the ice.
Their best guess was that it was someone’s pet that outgrew
its welcome, and was thrown into the sewer.
During the warm season it did well with all the rats, but when there was
a freeze, poor ‘gator found its way to a drainage tube, headed out that way,
only to freeze to death.
![]() |
| Alligator in pond ice, somewhere This is not the alligator from this story, just so you know. |
It was dead, really dead.
Then Nathan said, “Boys, I got me an idea…”
Nathan returned to his office, drinking a cup of coffee while
looking out a window. “Well, I’ll be
damned! Look…” The nearest secretary
Jenny (this was her 2nd day of employment) leaned over and
looked
out. She began a scream that went all
the way to the next office, talking illegibly. Jenny raced off to share
her find. Nathan waved at his guys below, who picked up frozen fellow
and carried
around the next corner.
Jenny was hysterically telling a colleague what she had seen,
when she glanced out the second window and saw the alligator staring at her
window. Off she went.
This went on a good fifteen minutes until a crowd edged outside
and approached the beast, which was now under a mini-van, only tail visible. While they were all standing five inches deep
in snow, Nathan drove speedily from the parking lot on the other side of the building.
There you are: Nathan, still developing his
talents. How I love him.
** Nathan is now a bit older, but that spark of creativity still bursts into flame
** Nathan is now a bit older, but that spark of creativity still bursts into flame
now and then.
This story is from 2015, I think. Rewriting and new photos seems to be my forte.

I do hope that sometimes the tables are turned on the Nathans of this world. So very much I hope it.
ReplyDeleteAh, Nathan. He was never a bully, but he had a sense of humor.
DeleteLOL, that gator made a long trip North. Just reckon someone bought one of the babies and took it north to grow up underground? A place just a few mines from me sells those baby gators. When I lived in Missouri, our supply clerk brought one back from Louisiana.
ReplyDeleteI enjoy seeing them down here, just not too close. Frozen, okay with that. LOL
;-)
People do not think in the long term.
ReplyDeleteThat is true. We are now away from the water in Leesburg. I say away, it is two blocks to the lake. LOL Just moved from Wildwood. Moved a full 35 miles.....
DeleteThat's... I don't know whether to be horrified or worried. (I informed my class that no one was to pull an April Fool's Day prank as I do not like them. No one did.)
ReplyDeleteI hated April 1 with 3rd graders.
DeleteA good prank = talent+ opportunity. Well done!
ReplyDeleteThat's Nathan for you.
DeleteSounds like you could write a book about Nathan.
ReplyDeleteOH, yes. He is a great story teller as well. It runs in the family.
DeletePractical jokes are not my thing, although i did pull an April Fool prank or two when i was younger (shortsheet a bed or some such). Nathan sounds like someone to suspect as soon as anything untoward happens. He needs to write a book.
ReplyDeleteNathan did other things that may not see the light of day.
DeleteI'm feeling sorry for the poor gator, no peace even in death.
ReplyDeletePoor thing. He kept the rat population, but no joy.
DeleteI don't know what to say about this story. Or Nathan for that matter.
ReplyDeleteGotta love Nathan.
DeleteBut the photo of the eye is impressive.
ReplyDeleteThe eye picture was a find.
DeleteAh...a bit of fun is a bit of fun! There should be more of it! :)
ReplyDeleteIt is a memory that makes me smile whenever I think about him.
DeleteThese stories could make a good horror movie.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
Nathan never did anything that could be seen as a lead in to a horror movie. A comedy horror show maybe?
DeleteThat's a good one! If I ever find a frozen alligator I know what to do with it! I bet your brother was riot to grow up with!
ReplyDeleteOH, you know it. His sense of humor is fun. No alligators with him.
DeleteI feel bad for the gator.
ReplyDeleteAt least it didn't starve?
Delete