blog Followers

Wednesday, April 13, 2022

He listens. Do we?

 

I love it when you say
Let's talk. Which
really means "
listen while I talk
and not hear a
word you say" in
such a nice way.
Uh huh. Yes. Oh really?

 

Perhaps one of the annoying habits and the hardest to break that people possess is not listening to what other people are saying.  Not just nodding politely, but is one actively listening with understanding in their eyes?

Guilty. I am so guilty of this. 

Over my lifetime, my mind has always been wandering, thinking about what I want to say in answer to their words. I want to tell my story! Let me interrupt you and tell my story. Their last sentence comes to a logical end, then I grab the reins before they reach the full stop.

Their eyes glaze over briefly before I hit my stride and then they relax. Oh, well, they think, politely smiling. Are they also mind-plumbing for their next reply?

It doesn't end with conversations. When our progeny were small, I would sit in church and the pastor would be preaching, sincerely presenting the Word of God. I fed my youngest progeny Cheerios and let the middle progeny play with his cars. The oldest one was quietly drawing.  

What was I doing? Hearing Pastor talk and nodding my head in agreement. What was I really doing?  

I was wondering if the crock pot chicken would be done. Would Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce) be on after I washed dishes? Did I move the wet clothes to the dryer?

Yes, inane random thoughts would invade my brain, while I nodded in response to God's message.

Perhaps the worst not-listening is when God is talking to me.

We have an on-going conversation throughout the day with me querying Him and then hearing His first four words, before I jump in: Yes, I am rightThen my mind wonders off to laundry or dinner.

Let God Talk.  Then, wait. Don't cut Him off. He knows what you are going to say, but He wants you to hear Him. 

Let God Talk. He knows the answers to questions you are asking. He understands your fears, your worries. God is in charge.

Let God Talk. He has a plan for your life. Even though you groan and shout at Him, He is big enough to absorb your pain and your anger.

Don't interrupt God. Don't ignore God. Don't guess what He is going to say.


Be still and know that I am God. Psalms 46:10

Ask and it will be given to you;
seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened. Matt. 7:7


Let. God. Talk.

AND then LISTEN.

 


25 comments:

  1. Listening, really listening, is an underrated skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult to listen and then to listen more.

      Delete
  2. I love this post! All parts of it fit me to a T, and only last week I was scolding myself for it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I yell at myself all the time.

      Delete
  3. Powerful message, Susan ... and so very relevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This post which I have worked on for some time.

      Delete
  4. My mind is a wanderer also and I have to really focus at times. God has listened to me and I've heard strong answers a few times. Whether we hear Him or not I know he's always patiently listening to us and is happy when we take time to talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hardest lesson I have ever had was when I ignored and forged on ahead on my own power.

      Delete
  5. I have found that the quietest voice that is so easy to dismiss is so many times the one I should never have doubted for an instant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to pay attention sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. My husband does that to me all the time, keeps talking when my brain stops.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Many thanks to you and all who nod their heads and say "Oh yeah".

      Delete
  8. I'm guilty of not listening too, especially when people go over every little detail again and again to make sure I've got their point. I have one such neighbour here. I say I understand as soon as I realise what she's telling me, but on she goes and on, "I'm trying to explain" she says. but I got the point twenty minutes ago. I probably should listen to God more, maybe. It's hard to concentrate when you can't actually hear the words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you can't actually hear the words....Those are well said. I also know people who go on and on, as my MEGo (my eyes glaze over).

      Delete
  9. Oh yes today you definitely talked real world. Strange that, but it is so true. I had a very successful BIL. That man 'listened' and YOU (or whoever was in the conversation) was the most important person in the world at that time. Oh he had a lot to say, but he was mostly a listener, what a wonderful trait, and one to immolate (but it is very hard to do).
    Good stuff today because we should listen when HE speaks.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That man had a gift that most people do not have.

      Delete
  10. It's so true and I'm guilty of that too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Susan, developing the art of listening, I think, asks that we quiet ourselves inside and go to that deep center of our being where Oneness dwells--our connection to all that exists, before and now and then. In that deep quiet we met, I believe, the essence of whoever is speaking to us and there we join--his/her words and my open heart--and discover the Oneness of our being. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i don't know why but i love to listen ,it pleases me to please others and i think this courage comes because i seek listening to God ,some say may be i don't have my own mind but i think the mind is only one "God's mind" it speaks to us through numerous channels " and ignoring anyone of it and not being curious what and why is negligence which we cannot afford as human being i think because it will be a mistake which has consequences

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!