blog Followers

Sunday, February 20, 2022

Power of Chocolate

food movies

Movie photo  One of the few Johnny Depp movies I like

It has been proven through much research that chocolate brownies are the anti-dote to just about any illness, physical or otherwise.  The chocolate has riboflavin which boost the system and generally makes the sick person feel better.

While this will most likely be disputed, my daughters and I have tested this out many many times and found it to be true, every single time.

One time my oldest daughter (then mid-20s) came by to visit.  We both had miserable colds.  Sick as dogs, as my mother would say. 

We put on Chocolάt, opened a bottle of Champagne/bubbling wine.  Then we baked a large pan of deep chocolate brownies.  While we watched the movie, we drank wine and ate the brownies (not even bothering for them to cool) straight from the pan.

We laughed, we cried, blew noses, and coughed.  We talked about past painful events, apologized, laughed, hugged each other, and fell asleep on the couch. A good memory, happy times were ours.

Choc chip bars - empty pan
 
When we awoke, we felt much better.

Brownies always work.
 
Note: Not everyone can eat brownies for a variety of dietary restrictions.  I hope a substitution can be used instead. This is a re-post from 2009, with revisions.

37 comments:

  1. This is one I sure won't mind testing out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time is a good time for chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Choosing between chocolate and mac/cheese? Go Chocolate.

      Delete
  3. I have to agree that chocolate is good anytime, from breakfast to late night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is now cereal totally coated in chocolate.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely. An old post I put up once was about the connection between coffee and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounded lovely. Yes, I've been doing a great deal of sinking darkness into creativity over the past two years, keeps me sane between long hours looking after my husband's needs. Long may I be able to do this, the husband bit, eighty five now.
    Kindest regards, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate makes everything better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate in any form will work, you just have to make sure it's the kind you like. My favorite is 99% dark, too dark for most people, but a solace for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do that high. I stop at 60% now, my head doesn't hurt if I am going down in %.

      Delete
  8. I love that movie! It always makes me want chocolate and when they eat the chicken with chocolate I want some too! I do eat more chocolate than I should but I've been pretty healthy too so maybe your theory is a correct one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We visited our Switzerland daughter and family last fall. Chocolate....hmmmm.

      Delete
  9. Brownies work for me too and so does regular plain chocolate, but milk chocolate not the dark kind. I like that movie too, and the book is just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to be a dark choc girl, but have switched. I don't know why.

      Delete
  10. I don't need to be unwell to indulge in some chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Even as I type I am eating a large spoon of Nutella.

      Delete
  11. Hi Susan - chocolate works for me on occasions, I try not to buy it ... sometimes I love it and desire it. But love the film, love brownies, and so pleased you had such a happy day with 'champers' ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes one has to break loose and grab a Godiva.

      Delete
  12. I like chocolate OK, but it is the relationship of mother and daughter I admire 'beyond all.' Sherry had a wonderful relationship with her mama, I still enjoy the stories and times.
    Sweet, choc and all,
    Sherry & jack She will be by later to see our comment. ;-) She knows it is true. She never had a daughter, but sure loves the one grand daughter to the moon and back.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it has been now 20+ years, and that time shaped out who we are.

      Delete
  13. I am offer it more to children as gift and occasionally eat when offered to me

    ReplyDelete
  14. With my type 1 diabetes, I don't eat brownies. But I eat chocolate bars, Lindt's chocolate bars. I eat a small piece at a time. Not every day. This makes each small piece special. Each small piece makes me feel happy and that all is well in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish they had given me brownies for dessert in the hospital! Much better than applesauce and vanilla wafers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had cuisine of hospital life. I am so sorry.

      Delete
  16. If we could convince hospitals, rehabs, and nursing homes of this, the world would be a much better place. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wish this was a post from my doctor. Instead, I'll hear about that darn A1C again...

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!