blog Followers

Saturday, February 12, 2022

Politics and Words

All of my friends are posting intense political rants on facebook, and I'm  just over here like, "Hey, I made pancakes!" | Funny quotes, Funny, I love  to laugh

 This issue has gone too far.  I refused to be politically correct since before Clinton was president.

In this PC (politically correct) generation and country, more words and more will emerge.  Anything that even hints as a criticism of anyone, race, sexual preference...you name it and it is not PC.

source
Recently the word "person" is under attack by students at a Washington (?) State University (maybe).  The second syllable "son" is objectable: it is gender offensive.  Now "son" should be "perx" or "perxn"? 

Did you know that calling a person/perxn "crazy" is offensive.  It should be "albeist slur" which refers to a person who is mentally deficient.

Source
Did you know that at a recent SyFy convention, the organizers could not create a food choice for space aliens?  They chose to serve Mexican food because this had never been served at previous conventions.  It was offensive because it could be construed as a reference to Mexican immigrants or "aliens".

"Homosexual" is offensive and should be "same gender loving"..."elderly" is "people of advanced age"..."healthy" is "non-disabled individuals"...

A commemoration of the Holocaust was cancelled because "it was too Euro-centric."

The above were found on Listverse.com.


Opinions by Jim Freeman
 
How many more words will be under attack by spoiled and self-serving  students?  Can you think of some?

Parents: If you are paying for your student to attend a school of this nature, jerk the money rug from beneath them.  Community colleges are excellent; two years of required classes there will save money. And, insist on a part-time job to help pay for gas and car insurance.


There.  I feel much better.

This is a repost from 2018 or maybe 2015. I could replace the "date published" with today's date, or even one where my gr-kids graduated from college. What was written back then can be copied and paste to a new post. Basically, what was new back then is now old. New words are the same as the old words, just upgraded (!), made accurate.

 

36 comments:

  1. I think that political correctness is about trying not to exclude/diminish people. Something I try to follow, though I will admit that sometimes it goes too far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In its onset, the p/c is about the easiest term to use. This term could be used for the next years.

      Delete
  2. I don't know if the world was this crazy when I was growing up or we just know more now because of the internet. which ever it is, this is all crazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world has always hovered over crazy. The Net makes it easier to be crazy.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry I made a typo.
    Both my daughters have mental health issues, one with Borderline Personality Disorder. Occasionally they have been called crazy and I find it highly offensive.

    I think it's good that some words are changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my nephews is Autistic and people can be so cruel. Your daughters are blessed to have a Dad who works hard to help them achieve as much as possible.

      Just a note: Boys were so cruel in elem school. It was going into criminal charges. My nephew's mom (my sister, a warrior) enrolled him in taekwondo. The boys left him alone.

      Delete
  5. Language changes, hurtful or not. Words can go either way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It usually starts with a legitimate concern. But then goes way to the opposite extreme before it bounces back to a middle common ground for everyone. "Elderly" is "people of advanced age"? I don't think so. Old people. That's me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am up there with you, fellow old person. You nailed it: it starts with....

    Heck no, I ain't old. Just gettin' my 2nd or more wind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do think that PC has gone too far. Yes I am sure my parents were sure the 50s years messed up the minds of the youth. I even laugh loudly when I see pictures of the Beatles and remember the taunts of Long Haired Hippies. Words can be offensive, words used in my early youth do sound offensive to me today. SOME that others seem clean and clear are offensive to me. The guy wearing the "F--K YOU!" shirt, does offend me.
    Anyway I agree that words can be twisted, a sweet word can be made nasty and hard when thrown snidely.
    Sending the best your way,
    Sherry & jack seeing sunshine (but of course the neighbor said, "Look for rain and wind tomorrow!" I love positive in attitudes..... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain and wind tomorrow, I wish that were so, but being 3000 miles we could wave. You are so correct.

      Delete
  9. I worry less about what people say and how they treat other humans. I've had some of the nicest sounding people be the biggest jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the whole matter has reached ridiculous proportions and under all those new word rules, it's no wonder today's kids are so anxious and confused. Bring back some commonsense please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories from this era will be interesting. Confused is a good word.

      Delete
  11. I agree with River, common sense is what our world needs a good dose of and that's all the way around not just when it comes to this topic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm very over the PC thing. I would never intentionally want to hurt people's feelings but seriously, I refuse to go with the new words, new names, new genders, new stupid rules. I just read in our paper that some schools are banning books because they mention things like...slavery, civil war, holocaust. Really? This has my hackles up. I'm going to say something my Dad said to me over 50yrs ago..."Is it me that's nuts or the world?" Don't know Dad but I'm sure you're in heaven shaking your head and feeling scared for your posterity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So they are effectively banning decades or centuries of history which we all should learn about, and having the kids learn only the nice parts?

      Delete
  13. P.S..I did actually make pancakes this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A_- I understand Adele got bashed for being grateful to be a woman. B-, you read the M10 show, you know I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that on the radio. I would've done a face palm, but I was driving.

      Delete
  15. I am reminded of a PC phrase I was discussing with a fellow blogger. The problem was with the word Indian, which I find offensive if it means a "Native American" or "First Nation" person. However, if it means a person from India, I see no harm in it. Conversely, I mentioned that the phrase "She was young and gay" meant something entirely different in the 1920s through 1940s. Only recently has it taken on a different connotation. Nice look back at words that are now taken out of context or forced to change.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I find that when you are authentic, thoughtful and kind while interacting with another human being, you will be OK. This may be more difficult when writing about your fellow man, (or should it be fellow human??) I mean how far can we take this? I always refer to myself as OLD, because I am old. I'm not elderly, I'm 81, so I'm old. Anyone who makes it this far is OLD, tough if you don't like it. I can't help but wonder why people get so offended by stuff. Why not just let it go and enjoy life. Getting offended by things must cause so much stress...

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's well beyond nuts. Or is that offensive to peanuts and pecans? Darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They better not be Aunt Jemima pancakes!!!!!
    Just kidding, just kidding.
    By the way, when I was a custodian (aka "Janitor With Keys"), I referred to myself as an "Environmental Services Associate." :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. No matter what, they will always find something to hate, someone to be angry about, something to yell at. It's sad, they are such angry, unhappy people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people lead sad lives, angry at everything.

      Delete
  20. Ah yes, when it goes too far. I haven't heard of half your examples. I think in some cases they do it for the shock value. And I think some of them are a false flag, because I can't believe that people really want to change things that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder that every time I hear/read about such idiots.

      Delete
  21. I do wonder, when they become old or elderly, lacking the drive of youth, will they look back and wonder why they made such a fuss?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!