
This was popular in the 1950s.
"Why use plain ole butter when you can use… horse fat? The ad boasts using the finest horse hooves and fat that money can buy. It also says that it’s great on bread, toast and pancakes.
Just the idea of this is disgusting to most of the world today, let alone to those concerned with animal rights. The one redeeming thing about this ad is that it shows the contrast between yesterday’s world and ours. I don’t think that using horse fat is even legal anymore, but in the 1950’s it was simply an alternative. Still, this gives the phrase “I can’t believe it’s not butter” a whole different meaning." Retro Dee's, Dickman's (made from the goodness of ponies.)
1950s, burping pen, Grooveyard, Horse fat salad, jello salad, Kraft foods, potato fudge, Retro Dee, tonsils in a jar
Some of fellow bloggers have questioned its validity, as rightly you should. While there is butter to use on horses for their health, nothing is written about this product, dang it. Ponies were popular in the rural areas where I grew up. The Dept of Agriculture wanted to use ponies as alternative to beef, so farmers were encouraged to give this a run. That was in the 1950s.
Give it a try?
Some readers may consider this a hoax, but it is not. Neighbors did this experiment. A neighbor Jim tried this, still had one pony left and I saw in the field a few times.
So, this is a hoax or it isn't? I'm confused. I hope it's a hoax. But, stranger things have been true.
ReplyDeleteNo, this isn’t a hoax. Post WW2, meat had been hard to get during rationing. So, there you go. My school friend’s father apparently had several and got down to the last one. I saw it in a pasture in 2015, so it was quite elderly.
DeleteOkay another wrinkle in my horn, never read nor heard of this. I am reading a lot of westerns now, horse meat was common in the early USA. But now..... LOL
ReplyDeleteI will come back to hear the song, My sweetheart is on the phone now.
Love from out here on the first coast.
Sherry & jack
Not everyone realizes how useful horses were in the west. Not just as transportation, but they were also good nutrition.
DeleteI... no. Hard pass.
ReplyDeleteWhat can be said about this? Will look at ponies a little differently.
DeleteI don't think this ever made it to Australia, thank goodness. I can't imagine it ever being popular, but back in the 50s, like you said, things were different.
ReplyDeleteI wonder about Australia and horses as meat. After WW2 was Australia struggling with supplies?
DeleteI have no idea, I was born in Germany in 1952, we arrived in Australia in 1953. Photos of us show me and my sister looking chubby enough and in early childhood I remember dad going rabbiting with mates, so we always had enough to eat as well as the always popular lamb chops and Sunday Lamb roasts. Mum grew vegetables.
DeleteNot something that would appeal to me, thankyouverymuch!
ReplyDeleteWe are really restricted here in USA to eat odd foods. Games, hunting, fishing...It is all good.
DeleteI knew the French used to eat horse meat. Apparently they still do, just not as much. From the internet...
ReplyDelete"In many other nations, however, eating horse meat is no big deal - and in some cultures, it's even considered a delicacy. Mexico, Switzerland, Kazakhstan, Belgium, Japan, Germany, Indonesia, Poland and China are among the nations where many people eat horse meat without a second thought."
Also...
"U.S. horse meat is unfit for human consumption because of the uncontrolled administration of hundreds of dangerous drugs and other substances to horses before slaughter. ... These drugs are often labeled “Not for use in animals used for food/that will be eaten by humans.”
DeleteIn Switzerland and many European countries consume horse meat. In the Swiss Alps, horses and dogs are also eaten. Since they were in isolation, this made sense.
Erk. No way, no how.
ReplyDeletePony fat just didn't succeed.
DeletePS: Ok I did come back, or that is tried to listen when Sherry go there. BUT still no 'pony' meat here I would be thinking of 'Frank' the first pony I ever knew, or Trigger!
ReplyDeleteTke care Florida is warming up some...
Are you and yours getting tired of being in Florida?
Delete"I can't believe it's not butter" lolol
ReplyDeleteI thought about it when at the dairy section at the store. Nope, no pony butter there.
DeleteAnd I thought the bacon grease on the stove in a coffee can being reused was gross (well actually it was). I'm not down for the pony in a pan.
ReplyDeleteYour reference to 'I can't believe it's not butter' took me back to, 'Parkaaaay.' 'Butter.' 'Parkayyy.' 'Butter.' Do you remember it?
Yes! I do. We always had a can of bacon grease on the back of the stove top!
ReplyDelete