![]() |
| It starts here. |
When summer came around, it was a joyous time for all youth in the county. Rides and crazy food were a big part of that . It didn't matter what it was, just as long it wasn't what Mom fixed.
Being 4-H country kids, we manned the homemade lemonade stand, and it was good. We were covered with lemon juice and sugar. Then we ran around looking for food.
Never had seen such in our whole young lives!
Being 4-H country kids, we manned the homemade lemonade stand, and it was good. We were covered with lemon juice and sugar. Then we ran around looking for food.
Never had seen such in our whole young lives!
Fried mac and cheese; cheese on a burger with cheese, on a Krispy Crème Donut, topped with chocolate covered bacon---it is all there. Give it a go.
![]() |
| Deep fried butter |
![]() |
| Mealworm covered caramel apples Mealworms are not alive anymore. They are fried and dried. Really tasty, seriously. |
Adventurous food vendors spend years on experimenting with new ideas. Who knows what will seen at the next fair? And absolutely have to be tried?
What would you seek in this world of heart attack foods?
Just to share this gem: Catch and Cook Baby Pythons. Video is about 11 min. but skip around and you will be absolutely amazed.
This video shows the complete process, from catching and cooking. This is primarily a Florida treat, as there are many pet pythons released by their owners when they grow too large to handle. Pets go missing regularly. Young children have to be watched at all times. Python-hunting is ongoing. They have disturbed the ecosystem, esp. in the Everglades.











I miss the fair this year. We would always go. Although, they're doing a virtual... Anyway, I loved to look at the crazy food, but I never had any intention of partaking. It didn't even look palatable.
ReplyDeleteMy husband is a true food addict (he is obese), and we always head to the food alley right away.
DeleteThe San Diego Fair in Del Mar was always fun.
I'm not very adventurous with carnival food. A corndog is about as wild 'n crazy as I get, with mini-donuts for dessert. But you haven't mentioned deep-fried Mars bars -- those are a perennial favourite here in Canada.
ReplyDeleteThose are very popular here as well.
DeleteMy favorite is : red velvet funnel cake, served with whipped cream and cream cheese.
I think deep fried Mars bars were invented in Scotland.
DeleteGod bless.
Yes! Scotland created deep fried Mars bars treats! Smart Scotts.
DeleteNone of it tickles or tantalises my jaded tastebuds.
ReplyDeleteLots of it raises my eyebrows though.
Vendors go all out to provide new taste treats.
DeleteI was OK with most of what you said, then came the mealworm apples. Do you really mean this? How you tried it? As for the grilled python; is that also true? Or is it chicken?
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
I have eaten fried, dried mealworms (as well as grasshoppers) and they are crunchy good. But with caramel apples? No, not my taste.
DeleteNo, the snakes are on the plate for everyone to buy. I had some deep-fried rattlesnake in Phoenix. they over-fried it and it tasted like rubber. Sigh.
DeleteA corn dog or elephant ears is about all I eat at a fair. I'm not a big fan of deep fried foods.
ReplyDeleteI never eat that deep-fat fried food stuff. My stomach hates those.
DeleteI am a fairly adventurous eater. But I am lukewarm at best when it comes to mixing dessert with none dessert foods. Beyond that though, I am good with just about anything fried or deep fried.
ReplyDeleteI am a dessert person, but savory mixed with great dessert is a crime against humanity.
DeleteThis weirdo vegan will maybe go vegetarian for a moment and have a bite of funnel cake. Maybe. Sorry i'm such a killjoy.
ReplyDeleteAlthough i will be glad to cook regular food for you to partake.
Wish we were there. I have seen your photos and the food looks awesome.
DeleteI don't mind being adventurous in eating at the fair, but I have to admit that NONE of these sound either appetizing or appealing to me. A funnel cake, a corn dog, or nachos and cheese sound far better than anything these fair sales people have come up with. This was great for a laugh, though.
ReplyDeleteI always went for the funnel cake, and cheesecake on a stick.
DeleteIt's all serious heart attack food, all the deep-fried anything on a stick or in a box, the very thought of trying any of it makes me shudder. it's a good thing it's only once a year at the fair, right? Imagine eating like that all the time!
ReplyDeleteOnce a year is enough for any sensible person!
DeleteI recall our sorority 'manning' a lemonade stand at the Taylor County Fair! I'm spotting several things here I'd probably enjoy ... not so much the rattlesnake or python. Just the idea gives me the creeps. Best I stay away from anymore carnivals and focus on a Southern pot-luck.
ReplyDeleteWe wore rubber boots in our lemonade stand. Ground would get sticky and muddy with the ingredients.
DeleteI don't consider myself to be a fussy eater. A lot of fair food I won't try. Give me a kielbasa with onions and peppers any day.
ReplyDeleteThat is a true treat. Wants me to cook that for dinner.
DeleteFairs ARE a great place to sample DIFFERENT foods. I am a push over for kabobs, not sure of the python kabob, but I might try it if I run across some.
ReplyDeleteAhh the County fair, we used to load the grand is the motor home ad head for a week at the Cleveland county fair. There we would always run into my nephew Ted who was a server of award winning BBQ in one of his custom cookers.
I loved to see the kids cleaned up and pampered farm pets.
Sherry & jack
You gave this post meat (heh, heh). thanks!
DeleteWhen I was a kid, we'd go to the Missouri State Fair. The most exotic thing I ever ate there was a FOOT-LONG HOT DOG! It was amazing at the time.
ReplyDeleteNow I like to watch Carnival Eats, on the Cooking Channel. There's a lot of stuff I'd like to try.
You are an adventurous soul!
DeleteEverything looks good except for the mealworms. I used to feed mealworms to our rats.
ReplyDeleteThose are fried up crispy. They are high on nutritional value.
DeleteThe Summer I turned 16 and legally able to drive, my brother Bod and I went to the Griggsville fair. There we tasted our first elephant ear, got swindled by a con man of $5, and saw our first maphordite. We did other things, but those I remember vividly.
ReplyDeleteYou boys were always suckers for the con men. I remember my brother Robert being sucked in to buy a watch made "of a secret metal from Cuba, which we will soon conquer".
DeleteSounds you and yours had an awesome time. You should write about those memories.
Y