blog Followers

Saturday, July 25, 2020

Kids Say the Darndest Things!

Art Linkletter - Kid's Say The Darndest Things
jelikadesigns on etsy
The TV shows in the 50s and 60s were a world apart from today's shows. Back then, Red Skelton was enjoyed by the whole family. Gunsmoke was watched almost without fail. Candid Camera made us all laugh.

Today's selections are different.

The one show from that time period listed above was truly funny, hosted by Art Linkletter. Those kids did say some stuff that still makes me smile.

How are you going to be a better boy during the next year?
Obey everyone in my family, except my Aunt Freda.
Why not her?
'Cause she just causes trouble and starts fights.
How old is she?
Eight

So, your dad is a minister. So was mine. Is he a good minister?
He must be a pretty smooth talker.
Why?
Because on Sundays almost everyone falls asleep, but me and Mom.
Doesn't that make him angry?
Not nearly as much as the collections. He gets two offerings and the trouble is the congregation is cheap and most of them put in pennies.
What did your Dad do then?
Well, he had me collect the money and not leave until a person gave some money. He said not to smile or say anything.  So, I did anyway. (Big smile)

What does your mom do?
She's a Sunday School teacher.
What does she do for fun?
She plays poker and drinks beer.

Okay, maybe those aren't the funniest of all time. But the children were any age from four to six. A newer version of the show was hosted by Bill Cosby.



Think back to those years, back when our lives were viewed through a screen of humor and a degree of naivete. What shows did you most enjoy?


19 comments:

  1. I watched and enjoyed all those shows too. And don't forget "Bonanza." Of course, there was a lot of crap too, like "Gilligan's Island" and "I Dream of Jeannie" but hey, we watched 'em all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonanza was one we never missed. That one, and Gunsmoke. We were heavy on the westerns.

      Delete
  2. That is when I watched TV, I haven't watched TV more than an hour a year in the last 20 years. I miss Art Linkletter. I did not know his daddy was a minister. LOL a PK it was labeled later. I know.
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can picture Art Linkletter growing up as a PK. He had that gentleness.

      Delete
  3. I used to love that show. 'Remember when my Grandmother would always stop whatever it was she was doing to come sit with me and watch. My 'heart' shows were My Friend Flicka and Lassie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent shows. Having your Grandma sitting next to you made it all the more special.

      Delete
  4. I remember watching this show all those years ago. Bonanza was a favorite, The Lone Ranger, gilligan's Island, all the usual and popular ones I watched and if you missed them when you were a kid, there was cable and you got to see them again in your 20s. Now, I don't even own a TV and don't miss it. Nothing worth watching at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Art Linkletter was a master with the children. I have seen other incarnations of Kids Say The Darndest Things. The hosts were asking questions to lead the children hoping for funny answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linkletter had a way of asking those questions that led kids to respond with humor.

      Delete
  6. I came to television late (we didn't have one till I was a teenager). I have heard of the programs you mentioned, but didn't see them.
    And yes, children do say the darndest things - often very truthful things. Which is true today too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asking pre-10 year olds questions and really different from what 14 yr olds say.

      Delete
  7. Art Linkletter's books are still some of the funniest material around.

    Sweetie tells about his dad preaching on Sunday evening at the church, and telling the congregation to, Settle down, everyone, I'll have you home in time for Bonanza!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a kid way after the '50s. I still remember my childhood shows with fondness, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those memories of what we watched then make me happy.

      Delete
  9. I can remember the BBC 'Watch With Mother' afternoon shows, we sat with Mum and watched them ... invariably followed by a walk to the park. Simple days of love and laughter.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since I agreed with most of your shows, let me add one- Jackie Gleason. I'd put in Laugh-In, but my sister and I had to really fight for that one, and often lost. Dark Shadows, too.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!