For some people who are near my age can remember a few television shows for children which existed in the 50s.
My favorite: Captain Kangaroo, who was an affable fellow who did very little except talk to us---the kids watching the show. He read books to us, showing pages as he read. Ingenious!
| Great memories |
The book I best remember is Millions of Cats, written and illustrated by Wanda Gág in 1928 and the oldest American picture book still in print. The text was hand-lettered by her brother. This book won the Newberry Honor award in 1929, one of the very few picture books achieving this honor.
| Wikipedia |
![]() |
Enough. The story is about an elderly couple who discover they are lonely and think having a cat would help. The husband heads out to find the most beautiful cat possible for his wife.
He travels far from home, until he comes upon a hill covered with in cats. “Cats here, cats there, Cats and kittens everywhere. Hundreds of cats, thousands of cats. Millions and billions and trillions of cats…” This phrase repeats all through the book.
NOTE: The man cannot decide, so he walks back home with all the cats trailing after him.
His wife is upset with him, since he doesn't seem to realize how impossible it would be to feed and care for all these cats. Wouldn't we all??
Wise wife told the cats that they could decide which one should stay by asking “Which one of you is the prettiest?”
His wife is upset with him, since he doesn't seem to realize how impossible it would be to feed and care for all these cats. Wouldn't we all??
Wise wife told the cats that they could decide which one should stay by asking “Which one of you is the prettiest?”
All hell breaks loose as the cats erupt in an incredible cat fight. The couple lock themselves up in the house. When there is silence outside, they emerge to see no cats. They had apparently eaten each other up in their jealous fury!
They find a skinny scraggly cat hiding in tall grass—safe because it didn’t think it was pretty. They took the cat home and all were happy.
![]() |
| Source |
Now, isn't that this the most amazing story to read to a four or five year old youngster sitting in front of the television? Then, no child would think or question the blood and guts that would be lying around. But still, I have never forgotten it.



Oh my gosh, Captain Kangaroo was my favorite show when I was little in the early 1970s. I've never seen a photo of his earlier years and didn't realize the show ran that long. Love this!!
ReplyDeleteThe cat story is amazing. I have never heard of it, but love dark stories and would have loved this as a kid I'm sure.
The books of that age were so different in their themes. I loved them.
DeleteI loved Capt Kangaroo and bunny rabbit and Mr. Moose and let us not forget Grandfather clock. That story I don't recall but then I probably blocked it out since I am deathly afraid of cats and always have been. In todays soft world this story would never fly - parents would whine that there was death and fighting etc. We survived fine but in todays world I fear this wouldn't be allowed sadly!!
ReplyDeleteBooks of this nature have been scraped clean.
DeleteOur boys watched more 'cartoons', but their cousin when he was there had to watch Captain Roo Roo. LOL Looking back I wish they had preferred Mr. Rogers and Captain Kangaroo to the Mickey Mouse Club. LOL
ReplyDeleteSomeone else here in bloggerville mentioned cats and y'all have me missing my Feral CAts.
We will head back North early and I will get to see them again. ;-)
Sherry & jack
Going home is always great when one has been away for a while.
DeleteI have been following your kindness to the feral cat. I enjoy the updates.
I spent many a morning with Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans. I don't remember the story, but I like that ending. It WOULD probably be considered too violent now!
ReplyDeleteOh, yes, it would.
DeleteI seem to recall this book too! It probably made me the cat person I am today.
ReplyDeleteI think you were always a cat person!
DeleteLoved the good Captain! I'm not a "cat person" but this fable is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThe author and her brother did all the art, script, and promotion. Quite an accomplishment.
DeleteI remember the very first Captain Kangaroo show. He walked up to his door jingling his big ring of keys along with the theme music. I also distinctly remember someone commenting that he was called Captain Kangaroo because of his huge pockets. I also remember Millions of Cats. I still on occasion will quote "hundreds of cats, thousands of cats, millions and billions and trillions of cats." People look at me like I'm nuts.
ReplyDeleteYup, I bet they do give you that look!
DeleteI've never heard of Captain Kangaroo, but he sounds like a great storyteller. As a cat owner, I KNOW the most beautiful cat around and it's the face of my blog (grin)!
ReplyDeleteI named my blog because I always found cats to have an air about them, Like they are thinking or wondering about something.
DeleteI forgot to say, I think this is a great story to uplift shy and bullied children whose self esteem and self worth may be in question. Even ugly cats can find their forever homes!
ReplyDeleteGreat thought!
DeleteI remember that story. I think I did wonder what happened to all the bodies.
ReplyDeleteMaybe coming from a farm, the idea didn't occur to me then.
DeleteAn unforgettable book. I've been trying to remember it for years. lol Thanks!
ReplyDeleteThe illustrations were awesome, esp. for its time period.For this book win such an award really says a lot about that.
DeleteI loved Captain Kangaroo as a child. That is a great story. There was a time when kid’s stories had a little more edge to them.
ReplyDeleteI think back on those stories, not traumatized at all.
DeleteI loved Captain K. but don't remember that story. It really is quite different than one would expect, that's for sure. But I'd love to find that book now!
ReplyDeleteYou can find it on Amazon. That is where I found the illustrations.
DeleteWe didn't get a television until late (and I never acquired the habit).
ReplyDeleteMillions and billions of cats sounds like a wonderful book. One I wish I had known. And I love the 'ugly', but not vain cat triumphing. A variation on the ugly duckling tale?
I don't know. The humble cat was safe but the vain cats killed each other off.
DeleteA salutory lesson?
DeletePossibly.
DeleteI feel left out. I’ve never realized it existed:)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds delightful
The artwork fascinates me.
DeleteFirst I've heard of it.
ReplyDeleteMaybe you can access it online and read the whole thing?
DeleteWell I guess cannibal cats can be a good teaching lesson lol
ReplyDeleteYou betcha.
DeleteOh! Dear! I've never heard of that story...and I'm glad I didn't when I was a little girl. I've tears in my eyes now from reading the description.
ReplyDeleteMy first cat came into my life when I was a wee toddler of around 2 years old...and I've had a cat, or two cats, as I have now, as major players in my life every since. :)
Where Wanda Gag came up with this idea, it must have been a groundbreaker.
DeleteThe good Captain was my favorite, too.
ReplyDeleteWhen Bob Keeshan started this role in 1955 he was a young man, and it ran until about 1984. He also was one of the creators of the show.
DeleteWow, that's quite the story. Never heard it before. I guess my generation got more sanitized books.
ReplyDeleteYou must feel ignored.
DeleteThe cleaning up of books is a shame in my opinion. Kids love the gory bits, the bloodier the better and they know it is just a story. Well, all the kids I know did and do. sanitising their lives to such an extent can't be good for them, when they grow up and encounter the real world the shock would be huge. Perhaps this is why there are so many people in therapy?
ReplyDeleteWe didn't have Captain Kangaroo, we had "Skippy the Bush Kangaroo" and the adventure that went on in that half hour were pretty good.
Good point. Sanitizing and making books P.C. does no child a favor.
Deletesorry for being almost absent dear Susan!
ReplyDeletewishing you a new happy year filled with joy peace health and happiness!
Wonderful to see your name! I hope your year will be the same.
DeleteI remember Captain K and Mr. Green Jeans, that's a flashback. :) Never heard of the story or the book before.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful weekend and 2020.
Thanks to you as well. Have a great New Year.
DeleteI well remember Cpt Kangaroo. What I had let slip were his wonderful reading sessions. What a blessing that man and his show were!
ReplyDeleteHere I am, now 6 decades gone, still thinking about him. Made an impression.
DeleteBooks really can make a lasting impact. I still remember many books from my youth. I also remember the way the library looked and felt to me. I also remember Captain Kangaroo and then Patches & Pockets, which came on directly after (but I think it was local to Ohio only). :)
ReplyDelete