In 2014 this is what we watched from front porch.
This photo shows what was left from a mountainside on the road up to Idyllwild.
Right now, Australia is burning. The outlying areas and cities are facing their own destruction. As yet, seventeen people have died. 500 million animals deaths predicted at this time.
This was about 20 miles away from us.
This photo shows what was left from a mountainside on the road up to Idyllwild.
![]() |
| We picked up this stone along the road. |
Serious business, bushfires. These sites are asking for donations to the Australia Red Cross. If you can and want to, this is the site to visit:
https://www.redcross.org.au/donation
Watching the fire raging toward a place one loves is indescribable.
https://www.redcross.org.au/donation
Watching the fire raging toward a place one loves is indescribable.


Thank you.
ReplyDeleteIt is truly horrendous and yes, watching the fires coming in is terrifying.
No one can imagine how frightening seeing this fire must be. You are there, you see the fire and smoke. Your birds are feeling the results.
DeleteAnd yet some people still deny it's due to climate change. My heart goes out to everyone in Australia at the moment.
ReplyDeleteI used to deny the climate change years ago, but have since experienced the effects.
DeleteI've been watching the news about the fires. Hopefully they will contain them soon.
ReplyDeleteI pray so as well.
DeleteScary stuff. Having been in the area for California's wildfires, I really feel for the Australians.
ReplyDeleteYou have felt the fear and seen the results.
DeleteWhat a terrible, terrible situation in Australia. My heart goes out to them.
ReplyDeleteHard to imagine.
DeleteThank you for posting this. I donated to the Red Cross this morning and to a couple of other disaster relief organisations last week. I'm horrified at the thought of Kangaroo Island, the latest fire which has intensified to the point the entire island might burn. I haven't seen any fires myself around here, the closest one was the Cudlee Creek one just the other side of the hills area and that has now been contained and may even be out, we got the smoke from that blowing across my city, Adelaide, also the smoke from Kangaroo Island. Just yesterday a new fire broke out in the Kersbrook area a little south and east of the Cudlee Creek area, so there is a new danger to watch for. I cry every night when watching the news.
ReplyDeleteYour descriptions of what and where is scary. Your contributions will help many people.
DeleteI saw this on the news this morning about the mandatory evacuations. I'm glad you pointed this out because a lot of people haven't even heard that Australia is on fire right now. I think it's a good thing to leave the Red Cross link. I'd donate more if I know where to help those in need, but oftentimes there are no links.
ReplyDeleteIf something is happening on the other side of the world doesn't mean as much. Thank you for all you are doing.
DeleteThese disasters are multiplying and yet some deny climate change because of greed. If it is not fire, it is floods or some other natural disaster. I wonder if it is almost too late.
ReplyDeleteWith our own fires etc. we can see the changes up close and person.
DeleteIt is beyond horrific. So much lost.
ReplyDeleteIn some places residents have evacuated to the beaches and ocean.
DeleteHorrible.
ReplyDeleteDid someone actually start it? Or was it nature?
From my understanding this is a result of extremely high temp. and drought conditions. those would make fire happen.
DeleteSeveral of the fires were started by lightning strikes on very dry grasses, then fanned by high and gusty winds to the point where they raced so far so fast there was no controlling them.
DeleteThank you for the link. I have been helped by the Red Cross before. My thoughts have been with Australia during these horrific fires. I have seen fire rush towards my property in Florida thankfully to stop at my fence line. I'll never forget the sound the fire made as it tore through the palmettos. Positively evil.
ReplyDeleteOh, it would be. The sound is horrific.
DeleteI cannot start to imagine the feeling of such a huge fire headed to or that close to my home. The closest we have ever come is here in Florida when a fire was headed to THIS very park and we were evacuated. We thanked God it was controlled before it actually reached this place.
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are scary, but no way could they translate the actually feelings I am sure. OUCH
Love from a windy Florida,
Sherry & jack
Anyone who has been through the fire racing to one's house knows the fear.
DeletePS River's comment above is very touching....!!!!!
ReplyDeleteIt is. An upfront account tells so much.
DeleteThis hurts. It just hurts.
ReplyDeleteYes, this is so painful to see and think about.
DeleteWhat a horrendous catastrophe. My thoughts are with everyone effected. Hopefully the worst of it abates soon. Thanks for the link for the donations.
ReplyDeleteI am praying for them.
DeleteOn a news site it showed American firefighters arriving at the Australian airport.
This morning the fires still rage uncontrolled across several states. Over 12 million acres have burned so far this season. We are (probably) safe here for the moment but the house is filled with smoke and the smell of burning. I weep and I grieve (and donate).
ReplyDeleteOh, Sue!
DeleteIt is a horrible tragedy.
ReplyDeleteIt will take Australia a long time to recover.
DeleteSo many of us have aching hearts over this one. You seeing something like it first hand, probably even more so. It is beyond words, that I know. :(
ReplyDeleteOver 3 decades of living there, we saw many fires like this one. Darn scary.
DeleteI tried donating to a fund on FB through a reputable friend. My CU stopped it because I rarely donate on FB and it thought it was fraud; and when I checked my account, I found I really didn't have it to donate anyway. Perhaps next check...
ReplyDeleteThanks for your generous loving heart.
Delete