![]() |
| Some of the Greats |
Anyway,
Bobby Vee... I always loved Go Away Little Girl. My brother bought a radio, and we listened to that song over and over. Sigh. Bobby Vee made many teenage girls sigh, myself included.
Bobby Vee died in 2017 at age 73 years, from Alzheimer's.
The Beatles had their own song, Run for Your Life, Little Girl. I never listened to the lyrics until recently. Creepy. Seriously, this is stalker level. I'd be scared for my life if I was this girl. Here is just one bit. The others threaten to take her head, watch her back.
"Let this be a sermon
I mean everything I've said
Baby, I'm determined
And I'd rather see you dead"
Run fast, Little Girl.
Del Shannon was famous with My Little Runaway. The organ riff was famous at the time. He seemed confused, but then again, aren't all men? My brother and I listened to this song many times over.
Where did this Runaway Girl go? Why?
So, there you have it:
Bobby Vee wanted a girl to go away before he begged her to stay.
Beatles were stalkers, promised to behead the girl if she left.
Del Shannon wondered why his girl ran away.
These narcissistic men viewed these girls as objects, didn't they understand that?
Obviously, all females need to watch themselves and ask serious questions about any guy who is controlling and possessive.
Perhaps they should consider cross-country training.
....I got the music in me
....I got the music in me
repeat, repeat, repeat.....

One can write lyrics ironically or from the point of view of a character that is malicious. However some of these songs may not have been ironic and written as straight ahead lyrics.
ReplyDeleteApparently, John Lennon expressed regret for writing Run For Your Life.
It is excellent that John Lennon apologized for this cruel. song.
DeleteThose are all good tunes, the Dad here remembers them all from when he was growing up.
ReplyDeleteEven my g-daughters sing those songs.
DeleteEnglish is not my native language, so it's best for me to look up on the Web the lyrics of songs I like or have liked in the past. Sometimes, I'm unpleasantly surprised by content or by style. Yes, I'm afraid girls, women are treated like objects in certain songs.
ReplyDelete"Baby, It's Cold Outside" was totally about drugging a woman to convince her to stay, despite her saying "I really must go". This was back in the 40s (I think).
DeleteReally? Drugging? I'll have to look up those lyrics because that's not how I remember the song.
DeleteOkay, I listened to the lyrics and read them too. The reference to drugging is where she says "what's in this drink?" but that's mild, and all the way through, as well as insisting she must go, she also keeps giving in. "Just half a drink more" and "one more cigarette" and so on. In my opinion, she knew what she was doing, had plenty of chances to just go, but stayed anyway.
DeleteUnfortunately misogyny is still commonplace in rock songs, and often excused or overlooked by the fans. And male musicians still get more kudos than women, who are seen as a bit second-rate.
ReplyDeleteYou are so correct.
DeleteOh, my word, Susan! I never even thought twice about these songs that I used to happily sing along to. (All but that Beetles one. Never heard of that before!) And the songs that tell the girl ‘No one will ever love you like I do!’ And we thought it was romantic! Yikes!
ReplyDeleteI know, right?
DeleteMaybe they need to listen to I Am Woman Hear Me Roar!
ReplyDeleteI had forgotten about that song!
DeleteThe times being what they were back then, it's possible they didn't see anything wrong with the lyrics, and you said yourself you and your brothers listened to these over and over. John Lennon did write a lot of his own songs and he has regretted that particular one, but how many other singers actually wrote their own lyrics or just made the records and took the money?
ReplyDeleteThat is a good question. If someone else wrote it, the singer does not accept responsibility.
Deleteoh i absolutely loved all but last one is so catchy :)))
ReplyDeletethank you for transforming my day
hugs!