blog Followers

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Raise up the Banner

Iwo Jima Flag Raisers 8'' x 10'' Signed Photo -- Signed by John Bradley, Ira Hayes & Rene Gagnon -- From John Bradley's Estate
From John Bradley's Estate


source
Isaiah 13:2

Raise a banner on a bare hilltop, shout to them; beckon to them to enter the gates of the nobles.

Raise a signal flag on a bare hilltop. Call up an army against Babylon. Wave your hand to encourage them as they march into the palaces of the high and mighty.


The Book of Isaiah was always one of the books in the Bible that I would frequently start, get in a few chapters, and then close it up. Isaiah was daunting, my understanding that part of the Jewish history was too scant. So much happened throughout those centuries.

Surprisingly, reading the Book of Isaiah on a Kindle somehow changed my perspective entirely. Maybe it was the way the screen isolated section by section that gave me thinking time.

Prophet Isaiah, I need to learn more about him.



20 comments:

  1. As you know I am not a Christian. Any learning is a good thing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learning is always the jewel of one's life.

      Isaiah was an incredible prophet.

      Delete
  2. I have also been a little puzzled by the book of Isaiah I think that I have read it twice. I have previously gone with the King James Version. Perhaps I will try a more accessible version on the Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear that someone else scratch their heads over Isaiah.

      Delete
  3. I know Michelangelo painted a helluva good picture of him on the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isaiah foretold the coming of Christ. "Raise the banner on the hill" has been interpreted metaphorically.

      Delete
  4. Not only have I not read Isaiah, I haven't read probably 98% of the Bible. I don't even own one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't fuss with Isiah. But the picture of the flag being raised over IwoJima has ALWAYS fascinated me, I wanted to be a Marine. Especially after I learned Sherry's Brother was there.
    But Yes, Isiah is daunting!
    Great entry lady.
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone part of the family at Iwo Jima would have had seen such horror.

      Delete
  6. Isaiah is often called the Bible in miniature. Just as the whole of the Bible has 66 books, Isaiah has 66 chapters, and as the Bible has two major sections, one dealing with the God's people and one dealing with the Messiah, so does Isaiah, one dealing with the people of Israel, and one dealing with the Suffering Servant.

    It certainly is a book that is helped when you have a good commentary handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have one, in so many book boxes. Somewhere.

      Delete
    2. Said that wrong. I have many Bibles and many more are in many boxes. KJV is the only one that I wrestle with. But the commentaries are packed away, but I would really like to find one.

      Delete
  7. I really enjoyed seeing that photo of the soldiers lifting the flag over Iwo Jima. Such pride and bravery during a time of war and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much happened in Iwo Jima. There is a movie called Hacksaw Ridge and it was profound.

      Delete
  8. I’ve taught Isaiah to teenagers. I remember the first time, absolutely dreading it. But with a lot of prayer, it went great. In fact became one of my favourite books of the Old Testament!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i think knowledge is blessing if learner has open heart and wisdom to digest it well

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!