Depending on what day it is, some musicians make my head sing.
Lately, I have been in the music of my past, ones from childhood like "Purple People Eater" and then "Blowin' in the Wind". Pretty random and no devotion to any one artist, I have hummed and sung along with them all.
Today, the one that has glued itself into my mind and memories is Charlie Daniels and "Devil went down to Georgia".
Why? I don't know. I am guessing because I enjoy the talent he shows in a different media than is standard. No matter how old I get, this song makes me smile.
Who else is hidden in my mind? I am thinking that it is Johnny Cash and "One Piece at a Time". That will be for another day, another post.
Lately, I have been in the music of my past, ones from childhood like "Purple People Eater" and then "Blowin' in the Wind". Pretty random and no devotion to any one artist, I have hummed and sung along with them all.
Today, the one that has glued itself into my mind and memories is Charlie Daniels and "Devil went down to Georgia".
Why? I don't know. I am guessing because I enjoy the talent he shows in a different media than is standard. No matter how old I get, this song makes me smile.
Who else is hidden in my mind? I am thinking that it is Johnny Cash and "One Piece at a Time". That will be for another day, another post.
Music is a language which I really don't understand.
ReplyDeleteSome I like but I don't have the passion for it that so many do.
Sadly the video refused to download for me.
Dang. Go to a YouTube site and catch it. HOpe you will enjoy it.
DeleteDevil went down to Georgia is a fun song. Music gets stuck in my head too. Often is things from my youth
ReplyDeleteSo, you find music wandering about in the gray cells.
DeleteI don't know by what algorithm, Susan, but this clip next rolled into Arlo Guthrie, recording a tribute to Mary Travers. He sang his dad's song, "All they will call you is 'Deportee'". We grew up in such wonderful mind altering music, and I mean mentally and spiritually. Now, for my next Johnny Cash, it's a tossup for me between "Ring of Fire" and "Will the Circle be Unbroken."
ReplyDeleteClassic! I also appreciate it for the fact that it is so different - genre bending, as they say.
ReplyDeleteIt is unique in that era and now.
DeleteIt's funny how earworms just work their way in without any rhyme or reason.
ReplyDeletePop, and then they appear. DAng it.
DeleteI do the same thing although sometimes it is a certain performer. For the most part I see you have what I call silly songs. Those are my favorite. I was going to mention Ben Colder AKA Sheb Wooley then so many others came flooding into my tiny brain and I think my head is smoking.
ReplyDeleteI hate when that happens at night time, and all of a sudden, an old favorite hits my brain.
DeleteThis is a fun entry drumming up songs in my head.... Love the entry and the comments are all good. Thanks for a kick down memory lane and old Charlie.... Love it.
ReplyDeleteNite Sherry & jack good on you!
What gems have sent you down the road.
DeleteOne that gets in my head is "I'm Henry VIII, I Am," by Herman's Hermits.
ReplyDeleteThese are sending me back to the 60s, they are.
DeleteI'd forgotten about Charlie Daniels, and remember I liked that song. I'll have to find it at youtube though, since the clip is not available in my country.
ReplyDeleteI loved I'm Henry the VIII, I am, too.
Loved that English group. Loved #8 as well.
DeleteP.S. Purple People Eater is on all of my playlists.
ReplyDeleteItsy Bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikini. That was a good one.
DeleteI have that too! My kids think it is funny, they grew up in the time of itsy bitsy bikinis.
DeleteA fave song!
ReplyDeleteI have loved that all my music awareness life.
DeleteMy brother loved a "Devil went down to Georgia".
ReplyDeleteThat fiddle takes the stage.
DeleteThumbs up for the "devil" taking off - with a voice and beat like that i would say all of Georgia is cheering for ya all!
ReplyDeleteYou betcha. All of the South was cheering.
DeleteThat song certainly showcased their talent in a big way. Sometimes music speaks where words just can't.
ReplyDeleteWell said.
DeleteTry getting Dust In The Wind stuck on loop, only your brain plays it as "Ducks In The Wind". Or changes the words to It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year to "When grandpa is glowing 'cause grandma is showing her bright blue brassiere.... "
ReplyDeleteExcellent! At church, we had "Jesus Shaves". Good stuff.
DeleteIt had me tapping my toes. I loved it.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to pick a favorite song/singer. We are lucky. Sometimes a song comes to mind and I can't remember the words or performer. But with a little bit of info I can google it and enjoy it again and again. Music is like a smell. The memories come.
ReplyDeleteI'm like that as well. I can catch the song with the first few words. 'Music is like a smell'.
DeleteGFC? That is somewhere I do not know.
ReplyDeleteThis song is a good one. I haven't heard it in years!
ReplyDeleteIt just takes a few words or music that stirs the memories.
DeleteOh, the memories! LOL Love those oldies!
ReplyDeleteThose oldies...we play them on our radio and our teen gr-girls listen to them. They are always surprised.
DeleteLOVE this song!
ReplyDeleteOne of my favorite memories is connected to that song. At Kevin and Molly's wedding, the DJ was also a violinist/fiddler and at one point at the reception he did that and all but blew the roof off the place! Such a great number. Thanks for the clip!
ReplyDeleteloved this song ,so much energy it has to cheer up the day
ReplyDeletethis is amazing that you are rehearing you favorites