blog Followers

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

A mouse? Roaring?

The Mouse That Roared. Tully Bascombe (Peter Sellers).
Peter Sellers in 1959

On a quiet night after kids were in bed, I was caught by a movie. Carrying a load of laundry through the room, Peter Sellers appeared on the screen and that did it for me. I sat down and started sorting socks as the movie unfolded.

The main characters are Peter Sellers (who plays three roles), Jean Seberg, William Hartnell, and Leo McKern, all talents in the English stage, TV and film. 



This is a standard movie trailer from 1959,

The 1959 movie, The Mouse that Roared leads the viewer through the country of Grand Fenwick, supported by its export of wine. A country the size of a town in Rhode Island, Grand Fenwick is a pre-industry state and darn proud of it. When California undercuts the product by selling its own wine, Pinot Grand Fenwick, the country is bankrupt.  

To save the country, Peter Sellers (prime minister, Count Rupert Montjoy) suggests that Grand Fenwick declare war on the United States. The thinking was:

"The surest way to wealth today is to lose a war with the United States, for that country's odd reaction is to pour aid, relief and rehabilitation on the vanquished."

But first, the Grand Fenwick army has to attack America. Twenty soldiers in medieval chainmail, carrying bows and arrows, catch a ride on a French tug. They arrive at the New York harbor during an air-raid drill, which confuses the heck out of the army since the streets are empty.

This is an image of Photograph & Poster of The Mouse That Roared 199102
Wandering through the streets of NY
The nervous army is mistaken for invading Martians (what?) and somehow a bumbling American general investigates. The Grand Fenwick army accidently shoot his tires out with bow and arrow. They capture the General and four NYPD officers. 

Meanwhile the G.F. army is frantically looking for a place to surrender. They somehow end up with the Q Bomb which is capable of destroying an entire continent. Beyond all expectations, G.F. wins the war.

The G.F. capture the scientist and his daughter, taking them AND the Q Bomb back to Grand Fenwick. When the conquering F.B. army returns to Grand Fenwick, things go a bit wild at this point.

It is exhausting to try to tell this story.  But  this is an English movie, crisp with tight dialogue, humor that threads through all the bumbling one can imagine.

Just watch it. It is a movie for a quiet night with a glass of wine or three, and no expectations. The socks can wait to be sorted.

37 comments:

  1. I think I caught a bit of that one night. I leave TCM on in the background (the channel that's on between the shows I watch on the DVR).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Sellers was a character, super comedy. Pink Panther? Crazy good.

      Delete
  2. I first saw this movie on TV when I was around 10 years old in the late 1960s. I immediately fell in love with its absurd humour. I found the book in the library on which it was based and read it several times. Thanks for bringing back good memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I thought about this movie recently, and decided it would be fun to share with readers.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of this, but if it ever comes to TV, I'll be sure to catch it. It sounds good and I LOVE British humor, so much more subtle than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to mention: Happy Thanksgiving, dear Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a Peter Sellers fan. The Mouse That Roared is the only movie of his that I like. It is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will try to find it on NetFlix and watch it again.

      Delete
  6. Sounds interesting. I recognised William Hartnell in your picture, he was the first Dr Who that I ever saw when it was a TV series in the 60s. I remember the days when I sorted and ironed while watching TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Susan - love those old British movies ... we used to 'roar' with laughter at them ... thanks for featuring us!! Sort your socks and enjoy Thanksgiving - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a similar experience as Debra did. I think that I first saw this in the late 1970s when I was very young. It is a great film that is well worth watching today. Peter Sellers was so talented. Maybe I will give it a new viewing soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just plain old comedy, visual and verbal. Love it.

      Delete
  9. Don't you just love it when you come across a movie purely by chance and turns out to be captivating?? Even better if it's funny. :) I'm here to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha some just make no sense, but can be entertaining to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always good to just sit back and watch something that has no deep meaning.

      Delete
  11. It has been so long since i've seen this, it is quite good and sadly forgotten by most. Hope you had a blessed and beautiful Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time together! Hope you did as well.

      Delete
  12. Peter Sellers was of course a member of The Goons. Not sure if you had their shows in the USA.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Goons? Just looked it up. They were a major influence on comedy, US and England. And on the Beatles.

      Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure if Spike Milligan was well-known in the US. Some of his sketches are on You Tube. He also was an author.

      God bless.

      Delete
  13. Never heard of the movie but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is perfect for you to light up a fire, have a Guinness or Jameson, and laugh.

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Awesome movie, not everyone even knows about it.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for your kind comment on my Blog today.

    God bless you Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I haven't thought of Peter Sellers in ages!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He died in the mid 80s from heart failure. So when I saw this movie, I was thrilled. Glad you enjoyed him as well.

      Delete
  17. I don't think I've seen this one, but Peter Sellers is a riot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We did this play in high school and I'm absolutely positive that it would be much better with Peter Sellars. What a cast!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!