blog Followers

Saturday, November 23, 2019

Time is the Fire is which we burn

Image result for star trek generations movie poster
from Pinterest
Time always propels us all, shoving us forward when we would be quite comfortable going backward. Because growing old(er) is so gradual at first, one day it is a bit of shock to find an old photo of ourselves and gasp.

Malcolm McDowell and Patrick Stewart confronted the issue in a Star Trek: Generations, one of Star Trek movies. Dr. Tolian Soran is seeking to connect with the Nexus, a spatial ribbon that would send him to the time to find his late wife (?). The rest of the plot can be expanded on plot summary

This movie unites Capt. James T. Kirk and Jean Luc to confront and prevent Soran from launching a rocket int this phenomena. 

The source of this exquisite quote is J.M. Willard, a pseudonym for a prolific brilliant writer, Jeanne Kalogridis. Her list of writings is varied, ranging from books, through a huge amount of tech, movies, and more.  You can find her on Wikipedia source.

She is the one who wrote the phrase Time is the fire in which we burn. If nothing else, this phrase resonates with its simplicity and honesty.


What do you see in this simple phrase? How would you respond if this was said to you?


YouTube, Key moment


37 comments:

  1. I hope to burn completely and to not leave any embers smouldering...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my goal. To be ashes for my family to bury, have a memorial service. My destination is to see the Lord, hug Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'd hug Jesus, I might just say let's get back down there and see if we can fix this mess, or at least some of it.

      Delete
  3. A very thoughtful post. It touches upon a connection in my mind. That is, I a lifelong Star Trek fan. I have been since I was a child in the 1970s. I also am now astounded at how fast time seems to be passing. One thing that gives me that feeling is how Star Trek series and films, that seemed brand new just yesterday are now decades old. Generations seems like it was in the theateres just a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I was a junior in H.S. and I was enthralled from the beginning. There is a timeless feeling and one of hope when I see at StarTrek movie.

      Delete
  4. Ihave never read nor heard the phrase: Time is the fire in which we burn............. But I certainly agree with your thought capsule here: If nothing else, this phrase resonates with its simplicity and honesty.
    YEP. I do not think I ever watched one Startrek program through although I loved many of the quotes I heard folks say:
    "Beam me up" of courses one!
    Sherry & jack
    PS: the entry is above my paygrade. but I did enjoy the read. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Above your paygrade? I always loved Dr. McCoy, "He's dead, Jim."

      Delete
  5. I turned my volume up 100% and unmuted the video clip and still couldn't hear what they were saying. I haven't watched the Star Trek movies in years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the flames licking at my fingers as I type this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I understand it. What gets me is, I see these films or old tv series in reruns and am amazed at how much the actors have changed over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday we went to see "Knives Out" (an Agatha Christie) and Jaime Lee Curtis was one of the stars. She looked old, really old. Time is the fire..

      Delete
  8. I've only really seen the new movies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can only hope that I have only burned bright enough that someone took notice and appreciated the beautiful light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely statement. I wish that as well.

      Delete
  10. Honestly, in view of discussions I've had with God about His refining fire, I need to muse on this a bit...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This interesting quote is reminiscent of something Spock would’ve said. I think it means to make the most of every moment, as life is too short and we never know what the future holds. Thanks for sharing these wise words, Susan!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I miss Star Trek.
    The bank of life pays no interest on time saved, only on time well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How would I respond to that statement? How DID I respond? My jaw dropped and I said 'for heavens sake, that's right'.

    ReplyDelete


  14. Made me think of Bowie's song, Ashes to Ashes.
    I had never seen an episode of Star Trek.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Bowie, haven't heard that song for some time. I miss Bowie.

      Delete
  15. Yay, Star Trek!

    It seems a dark view of life to me, i.e. as soon as we're born, we begin to die. I suppose if you're lucky, it's a slow simmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as it is not on a rapid boil, we should be just fine.

      Delete
  16. An excellent phrase. In a sense, we do oxidize as we age, so maybe time is a type of fire. It certainly burns away what we can do without as we get older, at least it seems to be doing that to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can still hear his voice saying that line.

    ReplyDelete
  18. believe it or not now i realized that i have waited for my final moment unconsciously Susan ,now i understand it is because there is some hope and wish to see or meet who created me and made me FEEL HIM

    ReplyDelete
  19. Time. Friend? Enemy? These days, I'm definitely feeling the burn!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would respond with great big, gleeful Star Trek eyes. I am a Trekkie at heart and this statement would take me to the Nexus. :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!