blog Followers

Thursday, December 27, 2018

Love It or Hate It

Image result for aquaman
DC  Comics 2018
Aquaman is in theaters now!!  Sooo excited. This one is part of the Comic Movies, Critic reviews are ripping it

My preferred movies are ones that hold me, amuse me, have adventure and conflict, that can be resolved with fast cars, guns, big fights and friendship. Like Fast and Furious, every single one have those with humor. 

Jumanji has me telling our granddaughters, who are early teens, that Dwayne Johnson : He's so hot. They were shocked at first; now they roll their eyes and say "Oh, Grandma!" 

Movie critics absolutely hate many of these movies. Their words they employ describe such as: 

absurd, simple, shallow, cloying, pervy, trivial, schmaltz, absurd, silly, cheesy, cliche, vomit, and more utterly insulting words. These movies usually receive C- ratings, or at best B-.

About the meaningful movies, ones that will be up on the Oscar list, movie critics wax euphorically with words that mean something to movie critics:

bleak, unflinching, stellar, hectic, self-actualizing, apocalyptic, cryptic, raw, blatant, repellent, bombastic of society, trivialization, aversion, porn, heartbreaking, tantalizing, sexual abandon, meaningful, smartly engaging, superb, engrossing and more. These movies receive B, B+, or even A.


The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada Movie Poster
Five Stars
Some that include above movies are Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Master, Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada.

Agree with me or not. When my husband and I go to the movies, we want to be entertained and have a sense of closure, finding characters we can admire or hate.

Another measurement of a good movie: How many times do I go to the restroom? For Aquaman,  I will stay.  

For Three Billboards, I headed out to the toilet 2+ times. For The Master, we left after the first 15 minutes. Both received multiple Academy Award nominations.

Aquaman with Jason Momoa
about 40 seconds



The Master with Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix
The Master
About 3 minutes

Why do we go to movies? Why do you go to movies, if you do go? 












44 comments:

  1. Hi friend, I have some post about gardening, maybe you interest it, you can visit my blog here.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must admit I'm not a movie go-er …
    One of our sons is looking forward to Aquaman though!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are looking for entertainment, go to what you like. If you are looking for enlightenment, i don't recommend movies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We seldom go to a movie, one in the last 5 years. LOL Mostly because of my hearing, the same reason we never watch TV. But, but.................... some things I do get is... Oh Grandma... with the eye roll. When I tell my grandsons their grandms is still the best kisser in the world, I get the same reaction. LOL

    Happy New Year coming up!
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Your boys and my girls are part of the same stage in life.

      Delete
  5. See whatever you like, without regard to the critics - who are not you.
    I rarely go to the movies, and can't remember the last academy award nominee I saw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are movie people who go only when there is one that we really want to see. During Christmas, we didn't see anything. BUT with this one, we/I had to see it.

      Delete
  6. The critics and I seldom agree on what a good movie is. So I don't pay attention to them. But we don't go to very many movies anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We live about a mile away from our theater, which is next to Target, Albertson, and Starbucks. We see movies with the above characteristics. Now that husband is retired, we see more.

      Delete
  7. Did you see the animated Spiderman? I got into a preview showing and loved it. When I see a movie in the theater, it has to make me not miss my knitting. If I'm fidgeting, it's not good. But, I tend to not go see anything if I doubt it'll hold my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't go to the movies much, now that the kids are grown. It's usually to see a comedy, or a movie with a specific actor/actress. The last one I remember really enjoying was "The Heat," with Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock. I took my mom, because she wanted to see it. She laughed so hard she could barely catch her breath, and that made me laugh, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I loved that movie. they made a great pairing and the humor? That was awesome.

      Delete
  9. I very rarely go to the movies anymore. it has to be something pretty special that I know I'm going to like, otherwise I'll wait for the DVD to come out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are particular in our choices. The $$ cost now is outrageous. But seeing something like Aquaman on the big screen? Worth it.

      Delete
  10. I like comical, musical or action movies. My wife and I saw " Book Club " and loved it but we rarely go to the city to see many movies. We are now getting Netflix and this should be much better. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
  11. The nearest theater here is a 90 mile round trip so I wait for the DVD. Aquaman was my favorite comic book as a kid as I wanted to be a marine biologist when I grew up. Didn't make that but enjoyed the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in the country. Seeing a movie was a seldom if ever treat. It is possible that we saw 6 or 7 movies in 20 years.

      Delete
  12. I like all kinds of movies except teen movies and horror films. I will go see Aquaman, no matter what the critics say, just to see Jason Momoa, rowrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally agree with you. A movie doesn't have to be critically acclaimed to be a fun, enjoyable movie! Critics only approve of movies that are depressing and dramatic. Heaven forbid someone try to have fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And those movies win Oscars, with meaningful acceptance speeches.

      Delete
  14. Yep. Much rather have escapism and be entertained. All those true to life movies are so depressing, can get that in real life. Critics can shove it. One person's opinion means nothing to what another enjoys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do critics truly believe that their judgment and opinion mean anything to the general public?

      Yes, they do.

      Delete
  15. Aquaman is certified fresh on rotten tomatoes. Which is good because besides Wonder Woman (loved it, and I love Gal Gadot) the DCEU has had a very shaky foundation and was on the verge of collapse.

    I think Amber Heard (who plays Mera) looks much better with red hair than her typical blonde-ish hair color.

    I still haven't seen it however, but probably will. If not, I'll catch it on Blu-Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping that you can see it in theater. Big screen is better.

      Delete
  16. I'm looking forward to seeing Aquaman. But I'll be waiting until it's out On Demand.

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOVE your measurement of a good movie, Susan! :) We seldom patronize the theater, but I wholeheartedly agree with your take on high-brow v. entertainment. Thankfully, times spent discussing philosophy in some ratty coffee shop were left behind decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think if I count the one or two movies my foks took me to as a kid I may have been to the movies ten times all told. If I have a choice I'd rather watch kids movies....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When our gr-kids were younger, we would take them, have the best time.

      Delete
  19. Still haven't seen Aquaman but definitely planning to soon - assuming it's worth paying to see on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some movies that should be seen on the big screen and Aquaman is one. I wish we could have gotten 3D. Movies are so expensive, oh boy. We go about 4 times a month.

      Delete
  20. Best wishes for 2019 and beyond.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Replies
    1. The comics were so boring that they didn't last long.

      The movie is going strong!

      Delete
  22. I really liked the new Spiderman movie (the animated version), and Aquaman. Momoa is a hottie. :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead...it won' t hurt...I'd love to hear what you think!